Who needs to pay the bill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

imfromda305

Dec 9, 2011
Friend probably thought he was doing you a favour.
Seems like a couple of things went wrong as you missed your plane.
Turns out that you are mistaken that he is a friend, or he is a much better friend to you than you are to him.

- He indeed is, or trying to be. From carrying my bags to empty my trash and all that, I told him in an earlier stage to stop all of that because he's trying to build "guild" with me for being so nice that one day someone of his family dies in Santiago or whatever and he's going to ask me for 5000 DOP with big puppy eyes. To stop this from happening I keep on saying don't do certain things, sometimes he just keeps on doing it. So me not paying was also a message to him, he "advised" me to pay the bill.. I didn't and now he ends up with it.

Doesn't change anything, you should have paid, chalked it up as one of 'those' experiences.

If you are not prepared to do that, then what are you wasting your time here for?

- Wasting my time here, I don't get that one.

At the end of the day I don't think this guy is a fraud or fake, he could've get me so many more times with more money to be made.. and he didn't. But still, don't take my kindness for weakness.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I love it... justice via the decision of the local police. very old-school, and actually in this case seems like a fair judgement, EXCEPT... the OP should have paid 500 RD. (splitting the cost with the friend.)

taxi waited 5 hours???? NO WAY. $100 U.S.??? attempt at a cash-grab payday.

Text message didn't get through??? You should have CONFIRMED that it did. (I was in similar situation in January, flight delayed 6 hours... I MADE SURE the rental car co. knew so the guy wouldn't be waiting for me.)

Enough "blame" to go around here... "it's a big siht sandwich, and you all need to take a bite" paraphrase Full Metal Jacket.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Pay him RD500, and move on, I can not believe you opened a thread over $100, you are a piker. Three pages over $100, I need to get a filter that does not show these threads, wait ignore might solve this problem.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
When getting in the taxi, nobody indeed let him know what I would pay. But before this whole thing the taxi dude knew he was going to the airport to make 1000 DOP, little did he know he had to wait for 5 hours.

He mentioned the $100 when he dropped us at our friends house.

That's typical for DR. A prior quote is no more than a guide and is completely non-committing. I like to confirm right before the action because Dominicans are great with coming up with all sorts of bull**** excuses why the old quote is no longer relevant and your price has just doubled.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Easy. No brainer...The foreignor always pays, regardless who is at fault..Dont waste brain cycles trying to make sense of it, its the way it is here.

Status
Not open for further replies.