Why Americans don’t found a social club?

Sep 4, 2012
Just curious? Are you from the United States? I get the feeling, between this post and the last one you posted on an American President not visiting the DR that something is bugging you?

And we have a winner!

Follow the path on this and every other post and you shall find.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Just curious? Are you from the United States? I get the feeling, between this post and the last one you posted on an American President not visiting the DR that something is bugging you?
It does bothers me that so many Dominicans look up to a country that doesn´t take the time for something as symbolic as a single 24 hour official presidential visit. Symbolism is very important.

I also find it ridiculous that leaders of countries on the other side of the globe take time out of the busy schedules to make official visits to the DR. They don´t have it as easy to make those trips as the American president (takes more time and money to make that trip), yet they still do it. How long does a flight takes to go from Washington DC to Santo Domingo? What about from Madrid to Santo Domingo? Washington DC in summer has the same time as Santo Domingo, for Christs sakes!

But, that´s a topic for another thread.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Because Americans do not think that way. Americans aren't such elitist thinking group.

In the DR, that is how people "roll," everything is about separation and elitism - that style of life isn't existent in the USA culture.

Being part of these clubs make people in them feel superior and important, what a waste.

It is not that unusal for americans to have clubs, i have come across quite a few....... i think it is actually a " brand ".
Americans woman's club of geneva....... replace geneva by any major cosmopolitan city.
( it is not exclusive to americans though, even though they make up the largest part of the ranks ).

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Groucho Marx

No I think it was mis-credited to Groucho, who didn't say it but did say "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar

I think it originally came from Freud but it was in one of Woody Allen's books

"https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/7347-i-d-never-join-a-club-that-would-allow-a-person

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
It is not that unusal for americans to have clubs, i have come across quite a few....... i think it is actually a " brand ".
Americans woman's club of geneva....... replace geneva by any major cosmopolitan city.
( it is not exclusive to americans though, even though they make up the largest part of the ranks ).

There are plenty of those types of clubs that are "shared interest" clubs - bridge club, tennis club, flying club, Porsche club, etc.

Sep 4, 2012

It isn't that unusual but yet you can't even come up with anything?

malko

Jan 12, 2013

Jeez you are a salty person, aint you ? Re-read slowly....... Americans woman's club of geneva, proposes activites and french lessons, etc..............
What kind of a human being goes around a forum trying to pick fights ? Smh

Sep 4, 2012
It does bothers me that so many Dominicans look up to a country that doesn´t take the time for something as symbolic as a single 24 hour official presidential visit. Symbolism is very important.

Dominican elitism at its best.

Sep 4, 2012
Jeez you are a salty person, aint you ? Re-read slowly....... Americans woman's club of geneva, proposes activites and french lessons, etc..............
What kind of a human being goes around a forum trying to pick fights ? Smh

No really, just a counter BS vigilante if you will ;)

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
American Citizens Abroad, Inc. partners with The Association of American Clubs. The latter has clubs around the world. Regretfully, one does not exist in the DR. I have thought of investigating the interest in starting a DR chapter.

Sep 4, 2012
American Citizens Abroad, Inc. partners with The Association of American Clubs. The latter has clubs around the world. Regretfully, one does not exist in the DR. I have thought of investigating the interest in starting a DR chapter.

It doesn't matter if there are dozens of them, for the most part; this trend isn't part of the American culture. Best wishes in your endeavor, am sure with no time, your chapter will be full of Dominicans seeking imaginary prestige.

malko

Jan 12, 2013

I could see it working. American Women's Club attracts hundreds of americans, back in geneva. Some people find it hard just to get up and go out and do stuff in a foreign country. AWC ( or AIWC ) proposes dozens of activities ( hiking, skiing, even just restaurant outings and bbqs, english library, etc ).
The typical member is wife of ( but sometimes husband of ) an american posted abroad for work, but not exclusively ( more and more pensioners, nowadays ).
Obviously the pool of persons in the dr would be much smaller....... but still, I could see it work. ( organised hiking groups, discovery of diffrent parts of the dr, etc......).

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I could see it working. American Women's Club attracts hundreds of americans, back in geneva. Some people find it hard just to get up and go out and do stuff in a foreign country. AWC ( or AIWC ) proposes dozens of activities ( hiking, skiing, even just restaurant outings and bbqs, english library, etc ).
The typical member is wife of ( but sometimes husband of ) an american posted abroad for work, but not exclusively ( more and more pensioners, nowadays ).
Obviously the pool of persons in the dr would be much smaller....... but still, I could see it work. ( organised hiking groups, discovery of diffrent parts of the dr, etc......).

Yeah, but that's women. It's just like the women only thread here on DR1. Women love to get together and blab about everything.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Yeah, but that's women. It's just like the women only thread here on DR1. Women love to get together and blab about everything.

Well, suprisingly, they are not all american and they are not all women.....lol. They could do with a rename......

I found that after a couple of years here, the excitmemt of running around all over the place exploring the island kind of died down.........sadly as i am sure there is still a bunch of places i need to see.
I will do "touristy" stuff when i have visitors over.......and thats about it :(
So an incentive to do touristy stuff, but without the touristy vibes, sounds quite appealing.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

There is a very active International Women’s Club in Santo Domingo, I’ve attended some of their events. Certainly not all Americans tho.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

In the days of non-binary how can there be a "Woman's Only" Forum.
I think that violates the progressive agenda - bigly

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
In the days of non-binary how can there be a "Woman's Only" Forum.
I think that violates the progressive agenda - bigly

Women are women when it is convenient or gives them an advantage. It's called a woman's prerogative to change their minds whenever it suits them". I love women and wouldn't have them any other way.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
The Arabs formed their own Club Sirio Libanés Palestino in Santo Domingo. While they have an uphill battle attracting the Arabs that live in the country, they are growing quite nicely. A nice way to promote Middle Eastern culture. Again, most members are Dominicans?

Promoting Middle Eastern "culture" or promoting their religious garbage?
Anywhere I've traveled to where they are "promoting" their culture it has
always been associated with the latter.

I think the most Americans who live in the DR have decided to do so in order
to get away from Americans.. Its like going to an Irish pub in the middle of
Thailand. Sheesh... If I was interested in doing that shouldn't I be in Ireland?

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Social clubs for Americans are called after hours bars. Was at one last night in Dorchester......