Why are helicopters flying so low and very often over Perla Marina to Cabarete this morning?

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Blue Collar Town in New Jersey
Missing Dominican fishermen in a small boat. Out of fuel, found some 20 miles out.
Glad he was found.
These dudes really need to think about investing in a Flare Gun at least.. although that is only good Line of Sight its something at least.
I know a VHF Radio for them is too much to ask , and at 20 Miles out is probably iffy,. but they could contact another nearby Boat if they see one.
He must have been adrift for at least a day . do these guys really venture out 20 miles in those Small boats .
Good lord. that is OUT there .

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Glad he was found.
These dudes really need to think about investing in a Flare Gun at least.. although that is only good Line of Sight its something at least.
I know a VHF Radio for them is too much to ask , and at 20 Miles out is probably iffy,. but they could contact another nearby Boat if they see one.
He must have been adrift for at least a day . do these guys really venture out 20 miles in those Small boats .
Good lord. that is OUT there .
I think on water 20 miles is very well within range of a handheld $125 VHF - but in the trees and hills even 5 miles would be tough

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I think on water 20 miles is very well within range of a handheld $125 VHF - but in the trees and hills even 5 miles would be tough
You need a good tall Antennae as you are limited to line of sight , or 5- 10 miles without and 20 with, not much beyond that though .. im guessing these dudes would not spring for an Antennae .
In either case , glad to hear they found him..
I'm just wondering how he ended up that far out.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
You need a good tall Antennae as you are limited to line of sight , or 5- 10 miles without and 20 with, not much beyond that though .. im guessing these dudes would not spring for an Antennae .
Maybe he was hooked on to Moby Dick. Or maybe it was a new version of "Old Man and The Sea".

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
True tall antennas are a must for sale boats.
There is a 'rule of thumb' that VHF is good for line of sight plus 30% in ideal conditions.
Fog, humidity, Sahara dust are also factors that reduce transmission distance.
If it was a small boat I'm sure he didn't have an antenna.
The frequency in the lower CB range would be his best bet. Satellite radios that have monthly fees are the ticket now if you frequently go out long distances.
From my house I can see small schiffs heading way out to fish from Charamicos. I've often wondered what would happen to them if they have outboard motor issues.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
True tall antennas are a must for sale boats.
There is a 'rule of thumb' that VHF is good for line of sight plus 30% in ideal conditions.
Fog, humidity, Sahara dust are also factors that reduce transmission distance.
If it was a small boat I'm sure he didn't have an antenna.
The frequency in the lower CB range would be his best bet. Satellite radios that have monthly fees are the ticket now if you frequently go out long distances.
From my house I can see small schiffs heading way out to fish from Charamicos. I've often wondered what would happen to them if they have outboard motor issues.
Do you ever see small planes dropping packages the "fishing" boats pick up?
One of our former posters (who committed suicide) used to see that regularly from his house in Playa Chiquita.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
One of our former posters (who committed suicide) used to see that regularly from his house in Playa Chiquita.
No you mean like Colombian packages?

When I was in Puerto Rico I used to drink with a DEA agent and we would listen to the interdiction calls from the Coast Guard coordinated with drug spotting planes. They pretty much track every dinghy moving near shore.
And he would occasionally show us video of their busts.
They generally knew which boat was suspicious

Big

Apr 24, 2019
lol, Have you been binge watching "American Made" again with Tom Cruise. or was it Scarface with Al Pacino.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
No you mean like Colombian packages?

When I was in Puerto Rico I used to drink with a DEA agent and we would listen to the interdiction calls from the Coast Guard coordinated with drug spotting planes. They pretty much track every dinghy moving near shore.
And he would occasionally show us video of their busts.
They generally knew which boat was suspicious
Where in Puerto Rico did you hang out with DEA guys? What year? Seriously question

• Haha
Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
The obvious solution would be if they brought enough fuel. A boat is not a motorcycle where you can walk to the gas station.
Yeagh, good point
The general rule is you never use more than one THIRD of your Fuel on the way Out .. and again I doubt these Guys have a CLUE how much fuel they have left , or if they even have any type of gauge .

Reactions: windeguy