Why are they poisoning children in DR

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
According to the rumor mill, this may be the result of a campaign against the government in which the breakfast (usually milk) is being poisoned for political reasons. Can't say much else, it's just a rumor.

What I can say is that there has been a bit of a dilemma in the milk industry concerning the not-so-publicly-known practice by some milk producers of selling reconstituted milk (aka, what you're drinking may not had come out of a cow, at least no most of it) without labeling the package as such.

If you buy liquid milk, it may or may not be milk. Some companies (ie. I know Rica always label theirs, not sure with others) let you know with the label 'reconstituida' while others (which will remain nameless) give you the impression that your liquid milks is... well... milk, when it may be powder milk mixed with water, artificial color and flavors.

There are rules against this, but you guessed it, supervision is spotty at best.

heliace

On Vacation!
Mar 27, 2004
FDA and CFIA...

I wish!!!Here there is nothing a pink or blue bill wo,nt fix....

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
From what I understand Rica had the contract, and now a farmer's cooperative has it, so the tainted milk or product would have come from the cooperative. Is there more details on this?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Oh great, more conspiracy theories!

Most likely scenario - good old fashioned negligence, cutting corners to save money. Not sabotage.

Jul 4, 2010
it is obvious that the government does not want to get to the bottom of this. We all know that basic forensics would have discovered in a matter of hours whether the intoxication was caused by a contaminating microorganism or a substance, and from there, whether it was deliberate or accidental.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
DR got plenty of fruits, right? Why not give them something that doesn't get spoiled quickly.

remember that a public school will not have the proper space/location to stor such properly, so fruits would get damaged quiet quickly lying out there on a table in the Corner of the director's Room.
the UTC Milks can be delivered in numbers and stored at the school, fruits would need to be delivered on daily bases.
at least that's what I observe at some Public schols heer on the East, a big delivery every week to use for breakfast for the morning classes and for the afternoon snacl for the afternoon classes.
yes, I know it is not all handled/done exactly the same at all schools.

Conspiracy Theories??
I don't think so, even that of course nothing is impossible, such "Competitor's Licking or other Party Kicking" things happened in quiet better developed countries with pharmaceuticals and Food and etc etc,
but I would more tend to believe in a simple reason like "fill up some Crap and let the Gubmint pay for it, the Kids May Survive, it brings quick Bucks and Big Time".

Mike

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
If it get's proofed that the Intoxitation is something done Intentionally the Responsible MF's should Hang in Public from a Parktree right aside the Narkotraffickers who bring Poison to the Children.

Mike

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Anything is possible I guess, but I highly doubt any of this is intentional, but as Chiri mentioned just negligence and lack of basic hygiene.

Re-establishing school breakfast is one of the few good things Leonel has done. Back when I was a kid (during Balaguer's years) you'd get a "breakfast", then this was discontinued by The PRD when they came to power in 1978.

Believe it or not this is a great incentive to a lot of poor families to send their kid to school, because they know that at least the kid will be getting something to eat. As a matter of fact I would love to see this expanded so that kids are in school from 8:00 AM to around 3:30 PM and include lunch as well. This could be done if the government actually followed their own rules and provided the mandated 4% of the national budget for education as mandated by the law.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
as i said before, i think it is bad storage, bad transport and just plain stupidity. or, in the words of chiri, "negligence". :) i just do not call it so nicely.
i would also throw in the "fake" factor. i'd surely pretend i have a stomach ache just to avoid school. who'd know? i am sure some of those 126 kids are either pretending or have developed symptoms by association, so to speak.

if anyone wanted to poison children for political reasons i suggest adding some good old fashioned arsenic to the caviar rich brats eat in top private schools in SD. this government does not give two f***s about poor kids.

like suarezn i totally support school meals. some of those children do not have much more than that...

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
Anything is possible I guess, but I highly doubt any of this is intentional, but as Chiri mentioned just negligence and lack of basic hygiene.

Re-establishing school breakfast is one of the few good things Leonel has done. Back when I was a kid (during Balaguer's years) you'd get a "breakfast", then this was discontinued by The PRD when they came to power in 1978.

Believe it or not this is a great incentive to a lot of poor families to send their kid to school, because they know that at least the kid will be getting something to eat. As a matter of fact I would love to see this expanded so that kids are in school from 8:00 AM to around 3:30 PM and include lunch as well. This could be done if the government actually followed their own rules and provided the mandated 4% of the national budget for education as mandated by the law.

in complete agreement. there are so many little kids who have to work on the streets because they cant eat any other way. if there was breakfast and lunch thats thousands more children who could and would likely attend, if only for the food. im pretty sure learning on an empty stomach is hard as hell. this helps immensely in a country as poor as ours.

Jan 5, 2006
The "milk" is sourced from various producers, with the largest by far, being LADOM. Given past issues with the "milk", I would think that the problem is due to poor quality (a scam that the government is well aware of) combined with poor handling and storage practices after the "milk" leaves the producer and is distributed to the children.

***"milk" is not milk as you and I know it. It is a formulation concocted by the producers in combination with the ministry of education; whereby they produce a cheap imitation, with the difference in cost being distributed among a connected few. The government is well aware of this, yet they choose to float some conspiracy theory about criminal activity to distract the sheep. I guess that people forgot about Alejandrina German's "casita" in Jarabacoa!