why are you an ex-pat?

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
I was on holiday in Italy and came on another holiday with some friends I met whilst on my first holiday.
I just didn't make it home yet - this year for sure.(6 years now)

It was not planned at all.
Everybody has got to be somewhere so you might as well be somewhere nice.
I did none of the planning, researching, investigation etc.
If I had I would still be wondering if it was a good idea.

Then I started working, having babies and getting married - and Bingo! - I have become an expat.

I must say that my previous work enabled me to do this.
If I had to support myself all this time through wages it would have been tough.
When you live somewhere nice - just keep thinking of the miserable crappy weather in the UK (or wherever) and you will be fine.
The novelty of a sunny day still has not worn off - even after all this time.

It is not supposed to be all about being on permanent vacation - but it still feels like it to me.

Do it now.

Reactions: Black Dog

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
I have been thinking that I would rather live a mediocre life in a beautiful, sunny, warm place than a mediocre life in this drabness I see on a daily basis. Not to sound pessimistic but like most people on this planet I will probably never be filthy rich...I just figure I should be happy at the very least. Money be damned....

michelleh

Jan 25, 2009
I've had a similar experience to pedrochemical.

I decided one day (about 4 years ago) to leave Ireland, and I did... but I planned it for a while before I actually managed to get out of there. Originally, I think my intention had been to go away for a year, but my desire to live in other parts of the world keeps strengthening.

I ended up in Santo Domingo for a few reasons. My partner was offered a job here for one year, we discussed it, and decided to go for it because of the great opportunity to see this country. I love so many things about the DR... the weather (every aspect of it... I have a thing for thunderstorms), the colmados, merengue, daily life... and having the chance to improve my Spanish is always a good thing. I love that people start random conversations with me on the street (big difference from the last two countries I lived in), and I love the fact that this city looks so beautiful just before the sun sets.

In short, I wanted something different, and I wanted to see what life is like outside of the resorts.