Why do people live in the DR

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Reality check

When will Canucks discover Swedish saunas? It's a lot cheaper and more convenient to go to it for your daily self-inflicted torture. At least you can leave just before you pass out from the heat and humidity. That way you save thousands of Canadian dollars over going somewhere else for the experience. You could even install an ultraviolet lamp in it for sunburn. That way you don't have to spend the remaining 2 weeks of your trip under an A/C (if there's even electricity). You could also drink dirty water while in the sauna to get the trots later and remind yourself what a good trip you had. Don't forget the boom box, either, or other noise maker (your lawn mower parked inside, running wide open, for example, for street noise). You can even locate your sauna in Skid Row for the added suspense of never knowing whether it will get broken into, even with bars over the windows.

As for flu, Dominicans are world champs at having it (or saying they do). And you don't have to worry about dengue fever or malaria in Canada. Most flu seems to originate in the tropics anyway, such as Hong Kong. Maybe winter flu has more to do with the scarcity of fresh veggies than the weather itself, or the lifestyle of confinement with poor ventilation, both factors of which we can at least partially control for ourselves (even if no one else listens).

As for women, Dominicanas are below average, no offense truly intended. Those bottoms that somebody mentioned are usually oversized by a "wide" margin. Very few of them are 10's, in fact I'm not sure that I've ever seen a 10 in the DR. Look at the news clips from Iraq, for example, and notice the difference. (AZB, why in the world did you leave such beautiful women in your part of the world? Even your female politicians, such as Benazir Bhutto, are beautiful). Or even watch the novelas (how can you escape them?) with models from Venezuela or wherever (but not the DR). Dominicanas are not cheap, either, since they ALWAYS want money, and in typical Dominican fashion under perform and over charge as much as they can get away with (and steal anything they can behind your back). Yes, admittedly the DR is a lot closer than Scandinavia (where they're free) or the Far East (where they aim to please), but sometimes one could even go to those places for the same airfare as to the DR. Closer to home, a man could have more fun for less money and MUCH less hassle (air travel, etc.) by going to Nuevo Laredo, Juarez, or Tijuana.

Right now, it's trendy to go to the DR. Ex US presidents find it as obligatory to be photo'd golfing in the DR as it was to go to church while in office. When anything is in the stampede phase, all news is good news. Even things like power blackouts and dodging bullets is hyped as "adventure" and simply adds to the attraction.

When a stampede is in progress, all one can do is get out of the way so as not to be trampled. Anyone for a $100 cabbage patch doll? How about for stinking tennis shoes made for 25 cents but endorsed by a trendy sports star?

What I'm writing will be ignored by 99% of the readers. I'm writing to the 1%.

"Remember where you are (at)" !!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Andy A - You must have gotten out of the wrong side of the bed today :) Maybe that's the 1% you?re talking about?
People getting out of the wrong side.

And you?re making this post from what country?

Flu - very true.

Woman - You must mix in the wrong circles.
Plus it's all a matter of personal preference.

Nuevo Laredo, Juarez, or Tijuana - Wouldn't know about
that, but would be intrigued to hear your insights on this.

The DR is not for everyone, but after living in 7 countries over the past 15 years, this is home and the one I like the most.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
bob saunders said:
you still get more snow than me here on Vancouver Island, but the girls here don't have that overall tan that those beautiful Dominicanas have.

I have yet to live in the DR, but when Yris and move to Jarabacoa, I won't have any problems dealing with the lack of Electricity....etc, because i will make sure I have 24 hr service. If you know the locals and understand how the country works or doesn't work. No problema.
Bob, do you have a pen and paper to write this down with? I go to the DR on the 5th of November. Stay till the 5th of December. I go to NY for 9 days. I then return till the 5th of February. I don' t know how long I will be able to take NY so I will probably return till after Easter somewhere in the Middle of February and stay till after Easter.

Who do you think will see more snow this year, you or I? LOL

Only way to live with the problems in the DR are to deal with them. Easy to do for the most part.

Regards

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Robert, that was quick.

Why so defensive? As I said, it was a reality check. This board is full of other posts describing problems in the DR right now, so the 99% only have to read them to hear about the things I mentioned.

I see numerous posters for example talk about how they want to experience the "paradise-like" weather only to turn around incredibly and ask how it will be when they arrive - as if it will be anything but swelteringly hot (yes, I know that it's about 5 degrees cooler in Dec. and Jan.). I certainly see a lot of people complaining right now about their a/c's not working because of the power outages. I'm not sure that I could stand it at all if I didn't have at least a fan for sleeping.

As for the beauty of DR women, as I said I'm not bashing them, just telling it like I see it. I usually stay away from resorts so I think that what I see is fairly representative. And even though I've not seen any Dominicanas to match some of my Scandinavian girlfriends, I didn't say that they're not acceptable. I've often heard it said that, "...the worst I ever had was wonderful". Like I said, it's a reality check only.

By the way, until 2 or 3 years ago Dominicanas would at least display their beauty by regularly wearing short shorts or mini skirts. An average one dressed that way looks better than even Miss Scandinavia wearing a midiskirt or other such monstrosity. Now though, the chicas dress as ugly as anyone else.

I wouldn't mind talking about Nuevo Laredo, Juarez, or Tijuana - somebody start a thread for it.

Instead of being so defensive (and proving my case), why don't you pick a few more points and tell me why I'm wrong?

I've also lived in 7 countries - 8 if the US is included. I've visited about 40, including territories and principalities.

Do you want to buy my cabbage patch doll?

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Having been based in Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Philipines, Turkey, Greece, Italy and having grown up on the Tex-Mex border, visited Hon Kong, Bankok, Singapore, Ryad, Bahrain, Tripoli, and a few other cities in the mid/near east, I would say that the mix of acceptable women is the same the world over. The fat, misshapen, ugly ones always outnumber the beauties no matter where on is.
So, what's the point?

Texas Bill

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Oh, how many more times are we going to go over all that again?
Can I get this back on track with a rehash of something I wrote just under a year ago? Not that much has changed (except my son's age) but here it is again, about 500 posts later:

What I love (in no particular order)
Attitude to kids - when the sight of my three-year-old reduces sane men and women to jibbering idiots
Kids' attitude - the children I know here are much nicer than my friends' kids back home
The treatment I got when I was pregnant - no need to stand in line at the bank!
Saman? beaches - need I say more?
Non-smoking culture - even as a 'social smoker' I appreciate the fact that most public spaces are smoke-free.
Not needing to be stick-thin to be treated like a normal attractive woman
Can be 'blonde' without spending a centavo in the sal?n!
Sunny warm winters
Cerveza bien fria
Tropical fruit for breakfast
Old-fashioned courtesy (although it magically disappears when behind steering wheel)
The colours people paint their houses, especially blackberry-yogurt pink
Bizarre slogans on guaguas
Amapolas in bloom
The coffee
Unconditional hospitality, especially in the pueblos and campos
Servicio a domicilio
Dancing
The richness of the language
Male and female beauty, of all colours and shapes
Music
Last but not least - DR1 forums - sometimes they drive me mad, but at the same time they keep me sane!

Chiri

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Texas Bill,

You seem to be talking to me, so I'll answer.

I was responding to other posts in this thread talking about how they go to the DR to find beautiful women, as if other countries don't have them.

I certainly agree with you that pretty ones are in the minority anywhere.

I also confess that I am exceptionally picky.

Still, some questions ARE determinable by scientific means. For example, American women are definitely fatter on average than Danish, Swiss, or Turkish ones.

For my own tastes, female beauty starts with being slim. One way that I have seen the DR deteriorate (from my point of view) over the dozen or so years that I have been going there is in the increased competition for slim chicas. At first, when Dominican friends, cabbies, or whoever would be trying to help me find girls they'd bring me fat ones. They just didn't get it. Since then, as television has ruined the country, both men and women see the slim models in the novelas and have gradually changed their concept of beauty. The slim ones are aware of their worth now and harder to get.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Mondongo......

Yes its true, I came down here in Sept. 1989. I stayed at an all Inclusive, I will never forget that day when I filled up my plate with Mondongo and ever since that day I was hooked on Mondongo, I just can't get enough of the stuff.
I just said to my wife this afternoon dear I have not had any mondongo since breakfast....

So a warning for you firstimers....watch out for the Mondongo!

14 years and counting

Gringo

LaTdahAmy

Oct 31, 2003
To those of you who live there...

I hear ALOT of references to the NOISE problems..Boom boxes, yelling people etc..If I were to relocate to a small town in a rural setting would THAT too be noisy? I do not mind animal noises such as dogs, burros, chickens but people are another story! Also I was enlightened by Chirimoya's post. THAT is what makes me want to try the big move!

XOXO Amy

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I forgot to add?

Being able to pick up the phone, order 1 egg, 1lb sugar, 1/2 onion and 2 aspirins and have it delivered in 5 mins.
Plus they will even give you credit :)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Amy, Dominicans like "loud", or maybe it is because they have fried their ear drums and need it loud. But as far as a particular residential area, it is not possible to generalize. For example, I live a block and a half from center of Sosua on a very quiet street. No noise problem here either day or night, except for the barking of a neighbor's dogs. When I go to Santo Domingo, I stay in a small hotel on a very quiet street in a residential area. My sleep is never troubled by loud noise and the street is quiet during the day, too.

When you are scouting locations, noise should be on your list of important consideration. Whether in a big city or small town, you could find yourself with neighbors who play their music very loud.

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Chirmoya

I appreciate your post.

I agree with most of the individual points that you make and especially with the apparent theme behind them - that there are special things about the DR that make it worthwhile.

I especially agree about smoking - it turns me off completely. Unfortunately, it is creeping into the population at large. Some chicas even smoke now. A few years ago it seemed that among the female population at least, about the only ones who smoked were some of the old women who smoked cigars.

I also agree especially about the music - very relaxing, especially when it's at a reasonable volume.

The super cooled beer is also a very big factor, especially for vacationers in a hot climate.

Edited/Sounds like the start of a new thread, in another Forum.
Thanks
Tim H.:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
Why would I live in the DR?

Let me throw in my 2 cents.

In the US I need a permit to build on my land. In the US everything is "structured". Everything is "proper". It has to be a certain way. Most of the people aren't happy.

I live offshore because it isn't anything like the US.

I went to Costa Rica for a couple of weeks. I missed my return flight to CT. Five years later, I moved to Santiago.

I have plenty of friends and relatives that are still living in "the country". They all wonder when I will come home. I wonder when they will wake up.

The number one reason why I live in the DR is because even though I'm working, it is like I retired years ago, when I left "the country".

Just remember one thing, it is wasn't for people that enjoyed moving and devoloping their own peice of paradise, the US would have never been formed.

EddieC

May 8, 2003
Twrowing in mine too...

Why live there? I'll tell you why.
The US is not what it portends to be, not at all.
First, the Homeland Securitry thing is making any sane person realize that we are loosing freedom at an alarming pace. Pretty soon GPS chips will be in everything electronic that you buy.
If you go to an airport, you practically have to undress.
This sure doesn't sound like FREEDOM to me.
Worst of all, financial freedom is being lost even faster. Try opening succession on a will with a sizeable amount passing and see what happens.
The average "Joe Six-Pack" in the US is an asshole. They throw him a $400. bone (the average tax-rebate) and he can't understand he's being had. Not me, baby.
I hope to trade this bullshit for a nice quiet beachfront place with lots of chicas, fine cigars and 10 yr. old rum in the DR soon myself.
I'll put up with the power interruptions.

EddieC

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Re: Chirmoya

andy a said:
I disagree though about Dominican SLANG/ACCENT/DIALECT, by TIM H.. :cool: I think that is part of what keeps them backward. I once had a cabbie trying to find a street for me with a "6" in the name. He asked someone for directions pronouncing six as "se". He was misunderstood several times. Rather than say "seis" and lose the macho game, he actually spent several minutes repeating se many times. Of course, being stubborn is one of their weaknesses.

SLANG/ACCENT/DIALECT, by TIM H.?:cool: I am not entirely familiar with this term but I can more or less work out what it means. What I called "the richness of the language" is something other than the situation you describe.

Dropping the 's' is common across much of the Spanish speaking world, due to the many migrants from my part of the world, the south of Spain, and the Canary Islands too, where the s is dropped and word endings are slurred 'colmado' becomes 'colmao' etc. In all the areas where this happens it is more accentuated the less educated and well spoken the person is. The behaviour of the man in your anecdote is neither an exclusively Dominican thing, nor something common to all Dominicans.

When I said the richness of the language I meant the creativity in coining 'Dominicanisms', whether this be sayings, expressions, new words, and even grammatical rules. Old and new come into play here, whether it be archaic Spanish words, that have fallen into disuse in Spain e.g. apearse (to get down from), acechar (watch) , but have continued here, something found in the English speaking Caribbean too, where people talk of being 'vexed' and the like, a relic of the English that crossed the Atlantic several centuries ago.

Even older words from Taino (and possibly from African languages too) survive into the language in the DR, making it distinct to other varieties of Spanish. Street slang and American Englishisms like heavy/jevi etc are only a tiny part of it. I particularly enjoy the literal translations from English which are typical of a country with strong connections to the US, like 'llamar p'atras" - call back as in return a phone call, which is technically incorrect in Spanish but is common here as well as among Latinos in the US and coincidentally also in my home town which is a bilingual English-Spanish speaking community in southern Europe. I watch out for such coincidences and they delight me when they appear from time to time!

I won't go into examples of colourful Dominican sayings and expressions because there have been so many threads about it which have covered this topic at length.

I am a keen observer of language, English and Spanish being my first two languages and have been lucky enough to live and travel in most of the Spanish speaking world. As far as I am concerned each country, region or place offers me new treasures. Islands are special, because language usually experiences some isolation at some stage in its development, and ends up acting as a sort of linguistic time capsule - this one is no exception.

I vote once more for the richness of the language!

Chiri:cool:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Why don't you just debate the points he mentioned instead of getting into Edited by Tim H.?:cool: The language is attrocious, I can NOT only not understand the language at times but I can't even understand the sylables that come out of their mouths.

I couldnt repeat 3 words because I can't understand their mumbling a lot of times. I don't know what point exactly that makes and how exactly it affects their ecomony and personal lives but it is a fact.