Why do you love the DR? Positive responses only please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

armanipapi

Dec 30, 2010
last year i purchased a 2006 suzuki drz 400 and i send it to puerto plata. my big interest is simply riding in the campo, up and down hills, riding across rivers and just riding with no set destination. i dont ride in the avenidas just the back country sides. i love the adrenaline rush and i feel free, i have a certain path i ride thru and everybody knows me around there plus im armed just in case. the following is not my video but it will give you an idea of what im talking about YouTube - helmet cam test with contourhd in dom.rep.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
last year i purchased a 2006 suzuki drz 400 and i send it to puerto plata. my big interest is simply riding in the campo, up and down hills, riding across rivers and just riding with no set destination. i dont ride in the avenidas just the back country sides. i love the adrenaline rush and i feel free, i have a certain path i ride thru and everybody knows me around there plus im armed just in case. the following is not my video but it will give you an idea of what im talking about YouTube - helmet cam test with contourhd in dom.rep.

Actually looks like not a bad ride, a little flat, but still fun.

Mooseman

Oct 28, 2007
So many things, so little time.

Even though this is only my third trip here, I have learned so much from it's people and the DR1 community, seen so much of this country that I really love and done so many things that would be impossible back home.

Riding in a city cab with a young Dominican boy on my knee because there were EIGHT people in a Corolla. The guy sitting next to me had an automatic in his belt and it kept digging me in the side - no rude comments guys; it really was a gun. He wasn't just happy to see me. :)

Today while walking to the store over on Hwy 5, it started to pour rain and I ended up in a gas station under the canopy over the pumps. There were about 20 moto conchos under there with me and every Dominican I tried to talk to answered me, did not ignore me or be rude because I didn't know the language. Try that in France or Italy!

I love the feeling that gradually comes over me during the first three days of a visit. That slowing down of the mind, watching the stress as it falls away, to fully understand that it is OK to sit a while longer instead of running out the door to do the next "urgent" task. I only do that here.

Words cannot describe the depth of the feelings that I have tried to portray here, but that's OK. In my heart I know...I really know.

elaine grill

Jan 17, 2010
We have lived in Santiago for a year now, due to my husband's temporary employment over here.
I have grown to love Santiago especially for the VERY kind people I have met throughout the year. I have found that although my spanish vocabulary is very limited that people try very hard to work with you on what you are trying to get across to them:) Next...would be the food:) The meats, fruits & salads always seem so fresh. I guess my #1 thing that I love about the country is the weather. I am not a cold weather person & being from Ohio, I dearly love the climate over here.
We had an opportunity to have our children & grandchildren visit for a week. We took them to the Sosua Bay Resort for a couple of days. Between Santiago & Sosua, everyone was so helpful & kind to our family.
Thank you all for making us feel welcome:)

Reactions: Mooseman

Sofia&Anders

Jun 28, 2014
Fast breeders like Dolphins nice sized are no prob, plentyful of 'em around, just their youngest should kept in the water now, here on the East end Sept - end Nov is their Prime Time for the new ones, by x-mas they are nice sized, next spring they are the great catch for the Fridge
Is it common to catch dolphins here? I'm seriously disgusted. To me it's like whale hunting (technically it is). Apart from that I do love this thread. After reading some peoples answers to my questions I began to get cold feet about this place. No I'm convinced we've chosen the right place to goto... as long as no one tries to serve me dolphin!

Status
Not open for further replies.