Why do you want to educate your children in a third world country?

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
JMB and Kim: Man for people who want to portray themselves as intelligent and "well educated" you surely seem to have trouble understanding that this thread has nothing to do with whether The DR has as good of schools as The US. For the umpteenth time nobody's defending Dominican public schools or putting down US schools.

We all know what's up at each one of these, but just because The US has more resources doesn't mean your kid is assured a better education. More opportunities? Yes for sure, but it's up to the kid and parents to take advantage of those opportunities. What you think may be right for your kid may not be right for mine. It sounds that all you're thinking is money, but that's not always everyone's definition of success.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
This the point I have been trying to make, Thank you AE. Michael Jordan's son had a choice to go to one of the top public school in the nation on the " North Shore" for some of you who never been to Chicago it is one of the most expensive area in the nation. All of the pro players have homes in this area just north of Chicago. Jordans son wanted to attend Whitney Young or nothing a Chicago public school, so what does this tell you.

AE there is another school Walter Payton College Prep that is also more superior then any private school, and if you ask teachers from any private school in the Illinios they will tell kids from WY and WP Prep are SECOND to NONE and these are both public schools. Sitting in a classroom where some parents make around 30,000,000USD a year and other kids parents are on public assistance, but every child has the chance to attend these type of schools in every US city. Most public schools have a GIFTED PROGRAM for those students who want to achieve greater in life.

The DR does not have this in their system. How come kids from very very poor barrios have NO CHANCE at a average education? Just because their parents make 250USD a month, so tell when they become parents where are their kids going to go to school, and their kids. The CYCLE will never change because the RICH and WEALTHY see no problem because their kids have a Carol Mogan or St George education.

The Dominican government offers international scholarships to poor students that have done well. There are also many Dominicans that receive international scholarships from the American government, Canadian government, European, Australian government, private endowments, charities, Universities...ie...Fulbright....etc.

TStroman3

Sep 11, 2011
My kids have had great educational opportunities in Orange County, CA- known as a very exclusive, wealthy area of the US. When my son was enrolling in high school, I pulled up to a parking lot filled with Hummers, BMW's, Mercedes, Range Rovers, even saw a Lamborgini and this was the STUDENT parking lot... My response- I turned my SUV around and enrolled him in another school in the district. There were over 40 nationalities represented in the school with over 100 languages being spoken by students, families and staff, talk about a fabulous opprtunity to learn about other cultures. I TOOK RESPONSIBILITY for his education. I met with the principal, knew all of his teachers, got involved in his sports programs and volunteered in numerous school activities. I did the same thing for my two younger kids in their schools as well. I have to say that I worked my behind off. BUT- my kids knew I was committed and involved in their education and their lives . They also knew that I knew everyone in their schools and they wouldn't be able to get away with too much without getting caught! I set a standard that they were expected to live up to- not the school standard but I was their to support and guide them too.
Had my children been educated outside of the US, I would be doing exactly the same thing! I believe that if the school a child attends is not up to par, it is the responsibilty of the parents to supplement their education. Online studies, additional books to read, visits to museums, travel, learn a second language with them, sign them up for community theater, activites, sports- whatever! I still believe that a school education is about much more than books and classes- it is about experience, teamwork, being a part of a community and life lessons. If you have those things and a supportive family, a child will be just fine no matter where they have received their education! So far, I am 3-0, lol! Thank God though I am finally near the finish line the youngest graduates in a year! :laugh:

kimbjorkland

Apr 6, 2011
Many can aspire to reach the top by going to the top rated schools, but the majority of people have neither the money or connections to get in to Oxford...etc, so trying to get in to the top rated schools is pretty limiting in itself. Not all people are academically inclined. Many are better suited to be nurses,technicians, mechanics, or carpenters, or farmers.

Oxford and Cambridge grad school entry (not professional schools like law or mba), are 95% on merit. Money and connections don't help. Look at the rolls of some of the departments, the best students from all over the world get brought in. Very rarely (if ever) are they from the DR...

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I feel very fortunate to live here in the DR so that I can afford to pay for a private Christian school for my kids. they will also go to a Catholic university, another dream of mine. This university is also good enough that my girls could get decent jobs in the states with a degree.

I could not do that in the States with my income for sure. For me sending ones kids to a public school in the States is a nightmare because they are teaching them values that go against my upbringing. For me getting an education is important because it is a tool to get a job and not necessary in the least bit for my daughter's moral formation, therefore a degree from a renowned institution means little other than money and possibly financial security, as opposed to a more lasting security that I am focused on. In fact I expect some of said institutions would be actually working against my ultimate goal.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Oxford and Cambridge grad school entry (not professional schools like law or mba), are 95% on merit. Money and connections don't help. Look at the rolls of some of the departments, the best students from all over the world get brought in. Very rarely (if ever) are they from the DR...

If you look hard enough you can always find an exception. How would you know if they have ever had a student from the Dominican Republic. You can't always tell by names.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Not that huge of a deal. I personally know one guy who went to Oxford and several that have gone to MIT after studying at Dominican universities. There are brilliant Dominican students who may not go, not because they don't have the merits, but maybe they don't have the language skills or money.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Most of the posts here,lauding the advantages of Dominican,or USA schools,are using the exception,rather than the rule, as their basis.
This anecdotal nonsense proves nothing!
Except the poster's personal agenda,and bius.
The op's question has,in my opinion,been fully answered by some of us here in the DR,not by those living elsewhere.
We choose to educate our children here,for the same reason we chose to live here.
We know that to "educate" a child is so much more than just sending them to a "school"!
Education,begins,and ends,in the home.
We love the "Home" part here in the DR!
The "Grandmas and Grandpas",the "Tios/Tias",the "Primos",the "Co Madres y Co Padres",y "Amigos de Familia"!
And the fact that they are all very involved in the education, and nurture,and love, of our children!
You don't get "THAT" in most "First World" countries.
Save your "Chest Beating" about a few good "Charter Schools" in your country for someone who cares!
cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

kimbjorkland

Apr 6, 2011
For Kim: Oxbridge Academic Programs - FAQ
Students from the Dominican Republic is mentioned at least twice in the FAQ.

lol... Bob, oh dear, the website you linked to is a private company 'passing off' and stealing oxford and cambridge's trademark branding. It's not in the UK, it's a private company in New York. It's not a University, it's one of those 'pay us money and we'll take you to these cities so you can study and be on an exchange program'. it's a summer camp at best... Anyways...

The moral of the story is, India is a third world country, if I wanted my son or daughter to study in the third world, I'd send them to India, not in the DR.

If you're spending 7K/year educating each kid at a DR private school and you're from BC Canada, surely you can spend 4K/year and send the kids to stay with a family member back home, pay for their food and let them have a Canadian education, with the holidays and Christmas back home in the DR.

To each their own, I'm not gonna change your mind, and vice versa.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
lol... Bob, oh dear, the website you linked to is a private company 'passing off' and stealing oxford and cambridge's trademark branding. It's not in the UK, it's a private company in New York. It's not a University, it's one of those 'pay us money and we'll take you to these cities so you can study and be on an exchange program'. it's a summer camp at best... Anyways...

The moral of the story is, India is a third world country, if I wanted my son or daughter to study in the third world, I'd send them to India, not in the DR.

If you're spending 7K/year educating each kid at a DR private school and you're from BC Canada, surely you can spend 4K/year and send the kids to stay with a family member back home, pay for their food and let them have a Canadian education, with the holidays and Christmas back home in the DR.

Dear, my children are already educated. My brother has chosen to educate his children in Costa Rica, for now. My wife's niece was going to college in Boston but found it too expensive and the neighbourhood too rough, so she is now going to University in Santo Domingo where she can live cheaper and safer. As you say, each to their own.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004

As one of the previous posters pointed out WAY back there - many of the expat children that go to schools like CMS are there because their parents work in the DR. These children aren't being sent to DR to study, they are staying with their familes. Their parents don't actually pay the tuition out of pocket; it is a perk of their work contracts. Many of these contracts in the DR do not include the option to send the child to boarding school in their country of origin. So the parent would have to pay this cost out of pocket; which would be prohibitive for many in these types of jobs. Now in other areas that are not as stable or with safety issues many times the contracts will include the option to pay for boarding school away from the parents' posting. For example the British embassy in Pakistan will pay for boarding school for the dependents of employees posted there.