Why electronic items do not last in this country

M0823MIKE

May 19, 2006
Beside the gizmo listed in a previous post is there any way to tell if your house is grounded effectively. Why is it that when you touch electronic equipment here barefoot , you get schocked? I thought if your equipment was grounded properly this would not happen? So i guess my question is - is this proof of poor grounding? Also I have one of the 220 to 110 transformers that I paid $15,000 pesos to contruct about 3 years ago as I was told that my 10k blaze inverter would only charge on pure 220. Since then the low voltage problem seems to have been solved in my area nigua/haina and this 100 lb monster is now unused. As was asked in an above post would it be wise to go back to running the power to the house through this and/or would this jack up the electricity bill? benefit vs cost? Another anectdote that I would like to add is that once I changed electricians, after about 2 years of constant problems with about everything electrical in the house, all of these problems suddenly dissappeared. Be suspicious of electricians who come to fix one problem and soon after problems seem to occur with more frequency, many of theses "tigres" now how to insure a constant income stream for themselves. You could say only use people you or your spouse if familiar with but these guys grew up with my wife

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
For about $100 shipping and $35 for cost of the 55 gallon barrel itself you can ship food and used clothing to the DR in that barrel duty free from NY. Sometimes I forget the rules and some other electronics or electrical kitchen items slip in there.

There is the risk your barrel will be spot checked and I might have to pay crazy taxes or lose the "contraband." It has never happened yet in about 15 barrels. The last one had a Yamaha generator, a 13 tube tv, a sony cd player, three instant hot water heaters, 150 pantene shampoos and still had room for lots of food and clothing. At the same time I sent 6 large plastic storage containers (boxed) for $40 shipping each. They are better quality than I could buy in the DR and was well worth the $40 door to door delivery.

This is an excellent idea. I would suggest to those experiencing electronic equipment failure to spend the money to buy a few (1 per room where electronic appliances will be used) refurbished UPS systems and use this barrel method. A 2KVA or better UPS will protect your equipment from the surges and sags in line voltage and the battery size you need will depend on the frequency and duration of blackouts in your area.

All this talk of inverters, voltage reducers, etc. is making my head hurt. An uninterruptible power supply contains a rectifier which converts the incoming AC voltage into DC voltage which is used to charge the battery bank, a static switch which switches between rectifier output and battery power as the presence or lack of incoming line voltage is detected and an inverter which converts DC from the static switch supply source back into smoothed AC. The AC sine wave on the inverter output is much cleaner than that of the incoming power source.

I had to buy my Dad a UPS (2.2 KVA) when he was in Mexico just to keep from needing a new refrigerator condenser every couple of months as he suffered similar power interruptions and it paid for itself in the first year. UPS are much more efficient now as they employ MOSFET technology rather than the SCR's which were used back then (80's). The 2.2 KVA UPS will handle roughly the equivalent load of a single 20A service.

I would ship the battery pack (sealed, maint free) separate as that accounts for most of the weight of the thing in spite of the heavy duty coils used in construction.

Air conditioning is (as previously mentioned) a must if you're anywhere near the shore. The OP mentioned the "can" (electrolytic) capacitors being damaged but that was caused by the power surges. It's actually the (wafer) capacitors which appear round and flat which are devastated by sea air. You can actually see mold on some of them. An air conditioner or at the very least a dehumidifier in the room will take care of that.

The reason I suggest a refurbished UPS is to limit your loss if your 55 gal drum is the one that gets chosen for the "spot check". Most of the refurbished systems had problems during the infant mortality stage of initial use and were repair to "better than new" condition.

UPSforLESS | Power Backup Experts | Home

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Beside the gizmo listed in a previous post is there any way to tell if your house is grounded effectively. Why is it that when you touch electronic equipment here barefoot , you get schocked? I thought if your equipment was grounded properly this would not happen?

Yes. You thought correctly. The best way to analyze the effectiveness of your household electrical ground is check between a driven ground stake of at least 6' depth and the "ground" (bare copper wire) in your electrical junction box with a microohmeter (with the main open, of course). If you have a metal cold water input pipe then that will do as the test ground. If you have plastic water in/ sewage out pipes then you'll need find another source for your household ground to connect to.

Fundamentals of Electricity

The next step is to make sure that the ground wire (green) for each circuit is connected at bothe ends and at every series outlet. A visual inspection should determine this and if there's bo break in the wall then there should be no break in the wire.

Seriously, do they have any licensed and bonded electricians there?

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Yes. You thought correctly. The best way to analyze the effectiveness of your household electrical ground is check between a driven ground stake of at least 6' depth and the "ground" (bare copper wire) in your electrical junction box with a microohmeter (with the main open, of course). If you have a metal cold water input pipe then that will do as the test ground. If you have plastic water in/ sewage out pipes then you'll need find another source for your household ground to connect to.

Fundamentals of Electricity

The next step is to make sure that the ground wire (green) for each circuit is connected at bothe ends and at every series outlet. A visual inspection should determine this and if there's bo break in the wall then there should be no break in the wire.

Seriously, do they have any licensed and bonded electricians there?

you jest of course. You don't spend much time here do you

Last edited:

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
I got a chuckle from your post. I would wonder if there is a microohmeter in the entire country. As for licensed and bonded electricians I would bet there are none within 50 miles of where I live and I doubt there are any here that didn't move here to retire from another country.

I also suspect that the odds are about even that there is a green wire run to the outlets, driven grounds, etc... Who needs more than the hot and neutral wires? More than that are rarely used.

Look behind any outlet here and you are likely to encounter any color available at the time for the wiring.

Ran black and white for all circuits in a house in esperanza for a friend of mine had to buy out 2 hardware stores. this was to run 3 circuits. No green to be found! pulled about 6 different colors.

Im still laughing about the licensed electrician, let alone BONDED:p:p:p