Why in MY House?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
LindseyK, maybe you didn't pick it up from my first post :cheeky: a tarantula is a spider, a tarantella is a dance.

Please don't kill them, pick them up on a spatula, slide it under them, & return them to the garden. Have a special spatula reserved for this purpose in case it gets mixed up with the kitchen utensils...............;) If you're worried they will run off the spatula & up your arm, use an inverted sieve to hold them on to the spatula while you carry them outside.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Please don't kill them, pick them up on a spatula, slide it under them, & return them to the garden. Have a special spatula reserved for this purpose in case it gets mixed up with the kitchen utensils...............;) If you're worried they will run off the spatula & up your arm, use an inverted sieve to hold them on to the spatula while you carry them outside.

I bet they sautee up nicely with fresh garlic and lemon into a scampi, over linguini ..... would make a great meal for company.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
One of the dreads of living in a tropical country is having to co-exist with humongous insects.

In Puerto Rico we would get them in the house after it rained a lot, but it was easy to see why.

Clear any brush in the immediate vicinity of the house and check for those distinct holes that they burrow to live in.

If you see any of these holes close to your home, they will come out and head right into your home when it rains.

I remember my grandfather giving one of these tarantulas a "chancletaso" and leaving him right where he was in the kitchen.

A few minutes later a line of ants strolled through the screen of the nearest window and carried the hairy carcass all the way out the house.

Mother Nature is cruel but efficient.

Aug 21, 2007
LindseyK, maybe you didn't pick it up from my first post :cheeky: a tarantula is a spider, a tarantella is a dance.

Lambada- How did I miss your correction? And, I, a former English teacher, at that! Shame on me.

I must have been so focused on the spider itself that your subtly went right over my head.

I have my plan for today.....rubber strip my door bottoms, get a carpenter here to advise about screening, and find an expert to look at the bore-type holes in my yard to learn if they are the tarantulas' homes. If so, wow, there are many, many.

And, if not, then I have a NEW mystery to solve!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Once again, dear Lindsey, leave those holes alone...

These creatures usually come out in the early mornings or late afternoons. We used to see dozens of them on the golf course in Santiago.

They do not want to be around you, but circumstances force them to be there. They are great with cockroaches, mice and other creepy crawly things about the garden...and they are not aggressive, thank heavens...unlike what movies show, they will run away from you...and, as long as they are not cornered, they pose no threat.

A friend of mine once kept one as a pet for a few months. He paid the local kids a few cents (yes, a LOOOONG time ago) to hunt down live roaches, and then he let them watch as he put the roaches into the cage...it was better than NatGeo or Discovery!!

HB

Aug 21, 2007
Okaaaaay, HB, with reluctance, I will do as you say and leave the bore holes alone. No exterminator. As long as I can keep those buggers out of my house, I am satisfied.

I live alone. Both times that the tarantulas were in my house, at 4:30 a.m., (I wake very early) I screamed. As I was evicting them, more screams. The first time this happened, 3 gardeners from Perla Marina and my neighbor came running, thinking that I was being robbed!

I can't continue waking the neighborhood!

Will keep you posted about my success or lack of!

Lindsey

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
When we first moved here we had a big problem with cakatas, so much so that I killed three or four of them. I stopped doing that because HB explained that these creatures were harmless. Being American and naturally arachnaphobic, I had some difficulty at first, especially with my wife screaming at me, but have got used to picking them up on a stick and carrying them away.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
...and they are not aggressive, thank heavens...unlike what movies show, they will run away from you...and, as long as they are not cornered, they pose no threat.
HB

I guess these guys thought cornering one was a good idea...
200wieo.jpg

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I love the way that humor has crept into this thread....this is the way the internet should work.

Some good advice and some humor.

Thanks Lindsey...you might want to keep a small plastic pail around...You can cover one up, slide a piece of stiff cardboard under it and voil?, your uninvited guest is safely tucked away...and you can empty it later.

I am sure that "rubber strips" under the doors will do the trick...good advice that.

These are ground creatures, I do not remember ever seeing one climbing a wall...

Tatah...

Be well...

HB

Caz

May 15, 2004
Yes - these animals are quite docile - we keep a plastic bowl to put over them and a lid to slide under them to ease their way out of the house. For some reason we have had 3 indoors recently after several years of none inside. But they are so beautiful that I don't mind them walking down the hall as long as I don't step on them!!

gamana

Apr 24, 2006
a couple cats will do a fantastic job. They will not kill the spiders but play with them. The spiders will turn around and go back to nature.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
CAN THESE Tarantulas end up in hotels too???

Only the US$10 a night places...........apparently.

I must have been so focused on the spider itself that your subtly went right over my head.

There was a reason for mentioning the dance. Can you tap dance, Lindsey? I believe the reverberations have some effect also. So........when you wake at 4.30 am put on your tap shoes & have a good old dance. Then the neighbours won't think you're being robbed.

They might think other things of course.......;)

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2007
There was a reason for mentioning the dance. Can you tap dance, Lindsey? I believe the reverberations have some effect also. So........when you wake at 4.30 am put on your tap shoes & have a good old dance. Then the neighbours won't think you're being robbed.

They might think other things of course.......;)

HaHaHa! A morning dance would really get the neighborhood wondering. Maybe even start some gossip!

I visited every ferreteria between Cabarete and Sosua Abajo yesteday and came up with only 3 pieces of weather stripping (tarantula stripping) for my doors. I need 4 more. Until I can run to Santiago, I am using an old cold weather trick....a rolled up towel at the bottom of the door.

My maid doesn't get it. She picked up the towels and washed them all yesterday.

And today, the carpenter comes to advise on the screens. I am still not sure if I really want and need them.....especially if the critters don't climb.

I'll keep you posted. And, yes, I do now have a huge clear plastic bowl for capturing my visitors. Once under the dome, I will leave them there until my gardener can take them to live as expatriates on another property.

Lindsey

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
ha ha,
sounds like the prob will be resolved.
HB,
they climb, i saw them walking at walls and once hanging in the middle of my wooden veranda door.
Ginnie,
that's right, they would not enter a fancy 5 star resort.
but sure they will be found at those creapy 4-10 bucks per night places, that's where they walk the beds on nightly bases.
Mike

Sanation

May 21, 2007
Wish me luck sleeping tonight!

Have you thought about getting a mosquito net for your bed? That way you can rest easy. Make sure you tuck it in under your mattress... then you and the Tarantulas can all live in harmony!

The weatherstrips on the doors are a great idea... they will help to keep the dust out too! :cheeky:

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Have you thought about getting a mosquito net for your bed? That way you can rest easy. Make sure you tuck it in under your mattress... then you and the Tarantulas can all live in harmony!

The weatherstrips on the doors are a great idea... they will help to keep the dust out too! :cheeky:

and a bunch of other lil animals, too, who frequent the area, specially on nighttime.
the ones i hate are the cienpies,
they really can grow up huge and fit throu any little hole.
Mike

DOMINCAN JOE

Bronze
Aug 15, 2006
Only the US$10 a night places...........apparently.
......;)
DOMINCAN JOE; said:
Could you find any cheaper than this
http://www.dr1.com/forums/north-coast/53314-rockys-bar.html
:ermm: :bunny: $25 :bunny:$25 :cheeky::laugh::knockedou :cool:
:ermm:

Can you get a room for US $10 a night
i thought Rocky,y was the cheapest
IWILLHAVE5.jpg
:laugh:
:bunny:Hot Videos - Excellent Flying Tarantula Prank - Sexy Clips Funny Ads Prank Upload Stupid Girls Crazy Celebs Short Vids ;)