why taxy from las americas airport are so expensive?

May 29, 2006
This whining about a taxi fare reminds me of a fun business idea. Print up a couple hundred of these T-shirts and sell them on the beach for 150 pesos each:

629973861v2_480x480_Front_Color-White.jpg

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
I can see that most of you don't know what you're talking about, The reason most first world cabs charge so much is because they pay a fortune for their cab medalion ,that's not true here. In this country they have relatively no operating expenses like you would have in a first world country ,

slas7713

Aug 9, 2004
Everyone that thinks the DR is a cheap place to live has been told wrong, has very old info or is living a dream. I go to Boca Chica often. My friend meets me at the airport and tells me to pay the driver. 500 pesos. We stop, depending on the situation, to get food or buy the driver's mother some fresh cheese. It's best to know someone or have your hotel arrange your transport. Don't flault people for trying to make a living. If you are a cheap gringo, you'll never have friends and always get screwed!!!

I agree with Deyvi. This is a common misconception. Yes, there are several things that are cheaper but in general things in the DR are NOT cheap, unless you're living on rum.

dropshort

May 18, 2008
In addition, the drivers have to pay $2,000 - $3,000 (pesos) a month to wait in line at AILA/SDQ for a fare.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Taxis spend a long time waiting since plane arrivals bunch in certain times of day.
London Airport ( UK ) is more than 70 dollars to go a short distance by taxi.
Flights to the DR are very cheap.
pi2

Its not the customer's fault that there maybe too many taxi union licenses given out and have too many taxis at the airport that have to stay in line all day. Then the union tries to control the price via their monopoly and strong-arming tactics. A little higher price than normal may be justified, since they have to pay some airport fees, however, returning to airport empty is not a justification, since this may be true with any fare. 90% of the ridiculous taxi rates in this country are due to union tactics, I see what they do in Puerto Plata every day. They charge US$25 for a five to ten minute ride, US$7 for 1000 yards, US$60 to go to the airport, a 30 minute ride. Tecni-taxi will do the same fares at 1/5th of the price, but risk getting a whack from a baseball bat by a union thug with a pistol.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
correction, the taxi from Cofresi to POP airport is US$50, its $60 if you go round-trip. I know its not SDQ related like the OP, but it shows what unions do to prices and fares.

beastwood

Jun 30, 2011
Everyone that thinks the DR is a cheap place to live has been told wrong, has very old info or is living a dream. I go to Boca Chica often. My friend meets me at the airport and tells me to pay the driver. 500 pesos. We stop, depending on the situation, to get food or buy the driver's mother some fresh cheese. It's best to know someone or have your hotel arrange your transport. Don't flault people for trying to make a living. If you are a cheap gringo, you'll never have friends and always get screwed!!!

I disagree....you can be cheap, as long as you are smart and dominican cheap, and have developed the network, friends and family ties, you can live on the RD scale which is lower than places like the US.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
AND,because the government is scared to death of all unions,they also subsidise the transportation unionists fuel!!
And some people THINK they understand "How Things Work" in the DR!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
I know people in costambar that have been threatend by the taxi union for picking up their own freinds at the airport .

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I know of a van that was burned and destroyed by a taxi union near Rio San Juan, because a small hotel wanted to pick up their own guests from the airport.