Why the high electricity bills?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Your electric bills are correct, and are actually reflecting the amount of electricity you did indeed consume, over the previous three billing cycles. Very simple. Easy peasy.

I will attempt to explain the billing situation in the easiest terms that I possibly can for you.
RD residents should have a much easier time understanding this, as opposed to the foreign visitor/condo renters, who seem to be full of other, well let us just say, "issues" recently.
As well, if you are easily distracted by numbers please move on, as there are no pictures I can provide to help you. I will attempt to space the examples as best possible, for ease of understanding.
I will be using EDEESTE which serves the southern tier, for my examples

Your electric bill is based on a cycle of on average 30 days. On average, because it may run 29 or 30 but no longer than 31 days. The company also provides you with a 30 day window following to make payment.

We will start with the billing period of 26/2 - 26/3, with payment due prior to 28/4. This period covers the end of February, and most of March for a period of 30 days, and provides for the window of 30 days to make payment.

As we all know by now, the State of Emergency went into effect on 19/3. This SOE effected most businesses including the electrical utility sector, which operated at less manpower, and attended to emergencies only. Basic service calls and meter readings were not being performed.

It is also safe to understand as well that we all, for the most part, consumed more electric than we normally would have due to the curfew hours, and being restricted to our residences more so than is the standard normal.
I will freely admit that I did.

Now, when the SOE went into effect, your billing cycle was only 22 days into the 30 day cycle. With no meter readings, the companies used your average usage daily for the prior 22 days, and estimated the usage for the final 8 days of the billing cycle. This combined, gave you your bill for the cycle of 26/2 - 26/3. For our example, let us say it was 10,000 pesos.

The next billing cycle ran from 27/3 - 25/4 (30 days), with payment due prior to 27/5. There were no meter readings to be had, so the company issued a statement copying the usage of the previous cycle, based on estimated daily usage, which resulted in an amount of......10,000 pesos as well for this cycle.

Finally, we now move on to the current cycle of 26/4 - 25/5 (30 days), with payment due prior to 27/6.
In this cycle, you are most likely seeing a large amount, but it is actually the true amount you owe. How so?

Remember the 26/2- 26/3 billing period? You were charged 10,000 pesos. That amount contained 8 days that were estimated. Your bill should have been 12,000 instead of the 10,000, but you were charged only the 10,000....thereby owing +2000.

The 27/3 - 25/4 billing period charged you 10,000, as it was just repeated without a reading, when in actuality, it could have totaled 15,000....thereby owing +5000.

Now with our current cycle of 26/4 - 25/5 (30 days), you are seeing your last 30 day cycle of usage, say 15,000 + 5,000 owed, + 2,000 owed.....for a monthly bill totalling 22,000 with payment due prior to 27/6, while you believe your bill should only be 10,000 pesos.
22,000 -vs- 10,000.....the reality -vs- your belief.

To further complicate matters for some slow laners, the electric companies stated that they were going to be providing 24 hour service, and no customers would have their service cut due to lack of payment. Many chose not to make any payments during this time. These persons are now receiving a statement that would read as such....12,000 + 15,000 + 15,000......totaling 42,000 pesos, payable by 27/6.

At no time did the company say they were offering free electric. They solely stated that customers would receive 24 hour electric, and no customers would lose their service during the SOE, due to nonpayment.

So, in conclusion, your electric bills are correct, and are actually reflecting the amount of electricity you indeed did consume.

Very simple. Easy peasy.
This makes sense, except at our schools there were nobody there, no electricity consumed but the bill was the same size as normal, and yes the bill does say estimate. I am not too concerned about it as once the meter is read it will be adjusted, or the wrath of Yris will descend.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
All sorts of cases like your Bob

These guys just like to challenge.....

The Nagua office was full of customers complaining Thursday...
One lady was forcibly removed by the police

The problem is nationwide according to the news article

Reactions: NY-DR Commuter

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
The explanation was directed towards those who saw increases, and are complaining about them. I do not know of any persons who are complaining, or have reported that their electric bill is LESS than it should be.

And i was wondering, assuming your explication is why the bills are higher, why it applied to some and not others----- in a same geographical region ?

Reactions: Caonabo

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
Just thought I would remind you smart people that this is not a rumor...

It's a news headline... see post #1.... a fact.....

some people are saying
'Yes, I have seen or heard of this.'

To those of you who have nothing to report.... stand back
So you do not agree with the explanations given in this thread?
Nobody has denied that there is a lot of people complaining about their electricity bills.

Some of us has explained what caused this. I can see in the news that the EDE’s also has given the same explanations.

So what part of the explanations you disagree with?

Checking your electricity bill is easy. Go read your meter. Wait one day and read it once more at the same time, taking note of the kWh used last 24 hours.Multiply with 31 and calculate the cost, that gives you an estimate. If you want correct numbers, read the meter at every end of the month like the EDE’s do, and calculate what you consume.

Yes, I will stand back commenting from now on as you suggests. It is a waste of time to post on this forum. All the good discussions has gone south.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Just thought I would remind you smart people that this is not a rumor...

It's a news headline... see post #1.... a fact.....

some people are saying
'Yes, I have seen or heard of this.'

To those of you who have nothing to report.... stand back

ww,

What exactly is the news within the article?
1. That the electric companies have severely overcharged persons for their energy consumption?
OR
2. Persons are complaining about the amounts of their electric bills?

The answer is #2. Now, an explanation was provided as to why some bills are higher than normal, leading to people once again overreacting. You can either see the reasoning in this, or follow the normal barrio reaction of standing around, waving your bill, yelling and complaining with absolutely no other facts to back those assertions up......other than, the number on my bill is higher.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
This makes sense, except at our schools there were nobody there, no electricity consumed but the bill was the same size as normal, and yes the bill does say estimate. I am not too concerned about it as once the meter is read it will be adjusted, or the wrath of Yris will descend.

Yes, it does make sense. This is why I posted the explanation. An explanation, not as a "know it all" type, but rather a person attempting to interject some calm into this situation at hand. I recently had this conversation with several of my employees, so as that they may offer sound advice to their respective families. Trust me, people do not need help in identifying if the electric companies are gouging them. It is a Dominican science, carried over into other lands.

At least you admit that your bill for the school stated "estimate". Some are not so forthright in their assertions, and this is where the problem stands. How many even know what an estimate is? When discussed, you will hear "¿como asi?" When explained, you will hear "ok".

It is quite obvious that with your school facility closed, less electricity was used. With no meter readings, they just based your bill on your previous average consumption.

When the matter is eventually resolved, please post back with your results, as I believe your case is an excellent example for the community.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
All sorts of cases like your Bob

These guys just like to challenge.....

The Nagua office was full of customers complaining Thursday...
One lady was forcibly removed by the police

The problem is nationwide according to the news article

Yes ww,

All sorts of cases like Mr. Saunders, who asserted his bill clearly stated......"ESTIMATE".

The overwhelming majority of civil disturbances globally are caused by sheer ignorance.

No, I am not accusing you of this, but rather the persons who's first inclination after receiving a higher electric bill (which they either misread, or simply do not understand) is to overreact, and operate outside of the boundaries of logic and reason.

Again, the news is people are overreacting. Not that they were overcharged. They are overreacting to their false perception that they were overcharged. A false perception based on ignorance.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
And i was wondering, assuming your explication is why the bills are higher, why it applied to some and not others----- in a same geographical region ?

My explanation is based on my local observations and conversations with my employees and their family members between Bayahibe and Guayacanes, along the southern tier.
This is why I used the EDEESTE examples.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
So you do not agree with the explanations given in this thread?
Nobody has denied that there is a lot of people complaining about their electricity bills.

Some of us has explained what caused this. I can see in the news that the EDE’s also has given the same explanations.

So what part of the explanations you disagree with?

Checking your electricity bill is easy. Go read your meter. Wait one day and read it once more at the same time, taking note of the kWh used last 24 hours.Multiply with 31 and calculate the cost, that gives you an estimate. If you want correct numbers, read the meter at every end of the month like the EDE’s do, and calculate what you consume.

Yes, I will stand back commenting from now on as you suggests. It is a waste of time to post on this forum. All the good discussions has gone south.

You understand my point, and your contributions are appreciated.

1590244003353.png

Reactions: etolw

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
You pay what they tell you to pay or they cut it off
and you go without. Your only other option at this
point is to find a location that is open then stand
in the Venezuela line and hope you get an attendant
who is willing and able to assist you..

I guess it depends on how much they are stealing from
you and whether or not its worth the time it will take to
sort out the mess they have created.

Welcome to Wonderland!!!!!

Reactions: jaxter

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have a hard time accepting that all the lines complaining are just 'whiners'

They have a legit beef and the tellers know it
They apologize and explain they are just clerks.... central office issues the bills

I get tired of people demeaning the general RD public/people
They may have less education but they are NOT stupid !!!

Some of the BS responses to this problem are mesmerizing.... ivory tower stuff
Get out - get on the street - see what it's like
Careful - you might get your feet dirty.....
you might learn what it's like to walk in their shoes

• Love
Reactions: Caonabo and alexw

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
You pay what they tell you to pay or they cut it off
and you go without. Your only other option at this
point is to find a location that is open then stand
in the Venezuela line and hope you get an attendant
who is willing and able to assist you..

I guess it depends on how much they are stealing from
you and whether or not its worth the time it will take to
sort out the mess they have created.

Welcome to Wonderland!!!!!
I feel sorry for you who do not understand the concept of meter reading and billing according to what you use.

In your head is this theft, what do you call it when you have to pay for the goods in the store?

You don't have to answer.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I feel sorry for you who do not understand the concept of meter reading and billing according to what you use.

In your head is this theft, what do you call it when you have to pay for the goods in the store?

You don't have to answer.
Two words for ya buddy.
Dominican Math.
After living here 8+ years and counting,
I trust it about as far as I can spit.
If they were reading meters (which they
have not been) then we wouldn't be
having this discussion.

Reactions: jaxter

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
There is no way they read the meter

16-18 months ago we had 5-6 fires - electrical fires...here in Cabrera
I lost a business to one

If -IF - you had an Edenorte contract - they would hear your complaint
They paid a house in Orchid Bay about 20M for damages
Our case is still pending

The electrical giant rewired the north coast... big , fat new cables to the towns
BUT
they left the skinny minnie wires feeding the customers... old, thin wiring

Can you guess the outcome -- ^^^^^ reread my intro

And Yes - they'll pay

You give them too much credit.... they are NOT a sophisticated business

Remember that next time they cut your power

Sep 22, 2009

16-18 months ago we had 5-6 fires - electrical fires...here in Cabrera
I lost a business to one

If -IF - you had an Edenorte contract - they would hear your complaint
They paid a house in Orchid Bay about 20M for damages
Our case is still pending

The electrical giant rewired the north coast... big , fat new cables to the towns
BUT
they left the skinny minnie wires feeding the customers... old, thin wiring

Can you guess the outcome -- ^^^^^ reread my intro

And Yes - they'll pay

You give them too much credit.... they are NOT a sophisticated business

Remember that next time they cut your power
Au contraire, Wadsworth! Racketeering based organizations are actually highly complex. Lies are complex, accounting is complex. You sound like you base your knowledge from a campesino viewpoint

I like you, virtually, but you have to wake up Papa

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Fine line - very fine - between genius and lunacy......idiocy/stupidity

ever see the Madman & the Professor ?
have a look

I think you're wrong amigo (my Spanish word for this sentence)

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I've seen them doing it here in Cabarete.

One reason I was confused is that last month, I did not receive any bills for my seven accounts - so when the time came I just went to the office where they printed out bills with NO MENTION of them being estimates, which I paid, as they were about right. Then this month I received seven bills, with various minus figures and again NO MENTION of estimates. Again, as the amounts are about right (and in a couple of cases where apartments are not actually currently occupied actually credit bills) I will pay the amount requested, as life is too short to do otherwise.

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
My bill from April with estimates has no entries in the column for meter readings.
And the column for kWh consumed says estimate,"Consumo Promediado"

Current bill from May has current meter readings (4/3 - 4/5), and actual kWh used, heading "Consumo"

I got a small refund, because my actual usage were lower than the estimated May bill.

Nothing magic or complicated but sure raised confusion for many, especially closed businesses. No problem understanding that.

Nobody has yet to my knowledge been able to pinpoint any fraud in this.

And yes the EDE's do meter readings, they are printed on your bill.

Sep 22, 2009
My bill from April with estimates has no entries in the column for meter readings.
And the column for kWh consumed says estimate,"Consumo Promediado"

Current bill from May has current meter readings (4/3 - 4/5), and actual kWh used, heading "Consumo"

I got a small refund, because my actual usage were lower than the estimated May bill.

Nothing magic or complicated but sure raised confusion for many, especially closed businesses. No problem understanding that.

Nobody has yet to my knowledge been able to pinpoint any fraud in this.

And yes the EDE's do meter readings, they are printed on your bill.
"Consumo"
"Promedio"