Why Would A Dominican Hate U.S. People?

Status
Not open for further replies.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
When I was in the D.R. I met a fellow who told me he was sitting in an open air restaurant on Cabarette Beach and a man selling newspapers walked up to him and said: "Are you from Canada or France?" The person replied: "No, I am from the U.S." The person selling newspapers then replied: "I only have the Miami Herald"... and walked away. As he was walking away he made a sign with his hand like he was shooting a handgun and while doing that he said: "AMERICANO IS NO MI AMIGO" and then he walked away.

After I heard this story I wondered what could cause him to hate Americans?

Perhaps the Dominican man who was selling these newspapers blames the U.S. Government for the financial collapse which may have affected his earnings selling newspapers to tourists or other earnings to tourists??? But if this is so, it is not fair that he should take it out on this American gringo tourist who may also hate what the U.S. government has done to his country and the rest of the world....

Any thoughts about why this Dominican man would hate Americans and take out his frustrations on an American tourist when that tourist has nothing to do with hurting any Dominican and never met this man selling newspapers before that particular uncomfortable moment in D.R. tourist history?

Bob :glasses:

The dominican guy never said he hated american people. I'd say the guy meant YOU, AMERICAN GUY YOU ARE NOT MY FRIEND.

Do you hate every people that are not your friend ????

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Maybe because the big bully to the north invaded the Dominican Republic, uhmmm let's see TWICE!!!! Woodrow Wilson and LBJ both authorized troop deployments to Hispaniola. Both, illegal actions condemned by the international community. Flagrant violations of international law in the usurpation and occupation of an internationally recognized sovereign state. Both actions we're resisted by the dominican people and many lost their lives doing so.

No country likes to be occupied and forced to accept a new system, have it's people's property apropriated, it's citizens abused, it's women raped with impunity, and protesters then massacred by this supposed force for good, draped in the red, white and blue.

Those same colors that elicit so much, happiness, pride and good feelings are seen by millions as the colors of the mighty empire that causes sadness, anxiety, fear and dread.

Sadly it's the truth.

Yes Dominicans hate Americans so much they risk life, limb and jail limb on a daily basis to make it there. They also hate it so much they NEVER buy products from nuevayol - yea right.

Nice try Chavez.

Mar 1, 2009
Not Chavez, Calrisian! :)

Come on Chip your funny man. Who wouldn't love a place where the electricity is always functioning, the water never runs out and is warm, where the police and the justice system are usually not for sale and blah, blah, blah....

So all we are saying is give peas a chance. U.S. foreign policy mostly stinks.
That's all.

cdnresident

Jan 7, 2010
Wow! I have seen everything now on this forum (lol). This guy sales yesterdays news paper from the planes that land at POP. He gets them form the cleaning personal with sections missing in them. He as been doing this for more then 12 years. So go from there and consider the source.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Who wouldn't love a place where the electricity is always functioning, the water never runs out and is warm, where the police and the justice system are usually not for sale and blah, blah, blah....

Surely you're not speaking of the Nueva Yol where I was born and raised. Where a gold shield represents a promotion to Bag Man, 1st class. Puh-lease! Why do you think NY has the greatest concentration of Dominicans off of the island of Hispa_ola? The "justice system" and police force operate to the standards they're used to.

The entire U.S. needs an intervention. We've been hooked on arrogance since the Monroe doctrine. All I hear is "best country on Earth". Best at what? Not standard of living, income education, health, longevity, infrastructure.......what?!? Attitude? Pffft!

Jan 9, 2004
Well maybe while they are home....

in line.

But my unscientific experience in AI's puts many Europeans (not all) at the head of the class when it comes to being pushy or rude.

Does that mean everyone is that way?...surely not. So to the original OP, everyone has a bad day, accept it and move on.

Just one question though...why does it seem these types of threads seem to almost always descend into an Anti-American rant?

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

3. Loud/Pushy - they perceive Americans to be pushy or rude - especially in Europe. A distinct difference to European culture where everyone waits in line, and just takes it up the ass when they're getting screwed by government/police/authority - whereas Americans stand up for themselves - and this confidence is seen as being 'cowboy' and 'pushy' and 'loud'.

Last edited:

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Just one question though...why does it seem these types of threads seem to almost always descend into an Anti-American rant?

Don't get me wrong. There's nothing "anti-American" in my rant. I have spent my entire life in the public service sector and no one is more "pro-America" than I. It's the people who go to other countries and fail to properly represent us that I have the problem with. Undisciplined youngsters (and some oldsters) who get off the plane acting like a bunch of sailors on shore leave make me sick.

It would be nice to see my countrymen (and women) acting with dignity when abroad, taking the effort to learn a little about the culture and standards for behavior in their host countries.

I'd also like to see foreign policy which doesn't assume our right to interfere with the lives and Human rights of our neighbors. If they want to follow failed policy, let them. Why should we feel that it's our business to tell others how to live?

Nope. I'm not "anti-American". I'm "anti-ugly-American".

bluebayou

Jan 26, 2010
Nutcase??????

You are a certified nutcase.

It is apparent you don't have the opportunity to talk to Dominicans - none of which you said could be farther from the truth.

I was talking about Haitians, not Dominicans.....I was making a comparison of the two, being that they are neighbors. Typo error...POP should have been PAP. Sorry if I offended you.
Could have swore I made mention of a Haitian working at a Dominican hotel.
Hummm

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I was talking about Haitians, not Dominicans.....I was making a comparison of the two, being that they are neighbors. Typo error...POP should have been PAP. Sorry if I offended you.
Could have swore I made mention of a Haitian working at a Dominican hotel.
Hummm

Ok your no longer certified then. :)

However, you should know the animosity many Haitians have for foreigners is not something American started, it was something that started when they got their independence and has been promoted by the government in order for the people to have someone to blame other than their leaders.

todobien

Jul 20, 2008
this is just great

on my trip to the dr next week i have to worry about the normal things: ladrones, thieves, bad pizza, bad water, disentary, a pregnant dominicana, etc. now because of this thread i'll also worry about bumping into self-loathing democrats and bomb carrying jihadists. this is just great!!

el forastero

Bronze
Oct 25, 2009
What a bunch of psychobabble.

Mason3000 hit it on the head -

The American who told you this story DIDN'T BUY A NEWSPAPER.

The guys just out trying to scrape out a living and the potential customer couldn't or didn't help him out. And $100 pesos says the guy who explained this scenario to you doesn't speak more than 10 words in Spanish. You turn a simple gesture into a big conspiracy. Give it a rest.

tballerina

Aug 20, 2009
Dominicans hate Americans because...

of all the ignorant things Americans say about Dominicans and other cultures. I hear some of the comments about Dominicans in this forum and I don't recognize myself. I think, where the heck do these people go? I mean, when I am in DR visiting family, I don't experience much difference, except of course for the stuff that we all know: electricity goes out sometimes, driving is crazy, etc. But I see my family taking their kids to soccer games, piano lessons, karate lessons, planning their vacations, trying to choose schools for their kids, taking them to the orthodontist, the movies ... and on and on about normal life. I read the comments in this forum and is about people hanging out in colmados and people being poor, riding in motoconchos, etc. well, what do you expect if that's where you hang out for crying out loud. Then you go back to the US and that's the only Dominican Republic you all know. Have you all gone to the seedy neighborhoods of the big cities of the US by the pawn shops? Stood around some of the intercity schools and seen those kids come out? It's a scary sight! But I know that's not all there is. Try to befriend some of those families and experience that side of Dominican life also.
tballerina

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
on my trip to the dr next week i have to worry about the normal things: ladrones, thieves, bad pizza, bad water, disentary, a pregnant dominicana, etc. now because of this thread i'll also worry about bumping into self-loathing democrats and bomb carrying jihadists. this is just great!!

You worry too much. Nobody lives forever.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
They only hate the "Ugly" ones. Wanna find out who your friends are? It's easy. Run out of money.

You appear to be a tourist; I'm not however. I live here in Santiago and don't give my money to people unless it's at church or some beggar.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
ParlezVous.aspx

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
"appear"?

You appear to be a tourist; I'm not however. I live here in Santiago and don't give my money to people unless it's at church or some beggar.

I headquarter in Washington DC. I am no tourist. I didn't say "give" your money away, I said "run out of money". Big difference. It brings out the best and the worst in people almost like x-ray vision into their souls. There's no differences in people anywhere I've been in the World and that covers an awful lot of ground.

Just like we're having the conversation of "why would a Dominican hate U.S. People?" I'm sure that there's a group of Dominicans somewhere having a discussion "Why would a U.S. Person disrespect us?".

Status
Not open for further replies.