Why You Don't See A Lot Of Halloween Here In The DR...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Here ya go:

12111958_1145142582181649_4714287411992065963_n.jpg

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
I'm still at a loss as to why some countries still send their children out to basically beg for candy one night per year and the rest of the year they beat into their little heads DO NOT TAKE CANDY FROM STRANGERS.
Dumbest thing going but I guess the economy benefits.

i like this theory...u should see what they do in an area where i own ....if they find a house passing out the :good stuff" they text each other...then u get 10-20 van loads of kids...could have 200 kids in a hr..

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
yeh doms giving away things,,,, that is a treasure to themm forget it... chocolates???imported??? this is a basically a poor country

Apr 7, 2014
After 20+ years in the country I've noticed that Halloween is not something you will see a lot here, especially in the less touristy areas. I asked around with locals and came up with an interesting explanation, and posted an article about it on my blog.

Basically, summing up the article so you don't necessarily have to read it, there are two reasons.

1. National Pride. It's perceived as a strictly US holiday, so the more patriotic stay away from it. That's in part due to the anti-American-meddling sentiments that still do exist here.

2. It's considered Demonic. 'Nuff said. Old argument.

But still, there seems to be a rise in more and more celebrating it. Has anyone else noticed that? :eek:gre: Any thoughts on that?

Nah....
1. They have appropriated "Saints Gibin"

2. No one has spare money to buy candy and then give it away.

Sent from my N9510 using Tapatalk

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
After 20+ years in the country I've noticed that Halloween is not something you will see a lot here, especially in the less touristy areas. I asked around with locals and came up with an interesting explanation, and posted an article about it on my blog.

Basically, summing up the article so you don't necessarily have to read it, there are two reasons.

1. National Pride. It's perceived as a strictly US holiday, so the more patriotic stay away from it. That's in part due to the anti-American-meddling sentiments that still do exist here.

2. It's considered Demonic. 'Nuff said. Old argument.

But still, there seems to be a rise in more and more celebrating it. Has anyone else noticed that? :eek:gre: Any thoughts on that?

It is in fact an American holiday. No Caribbean island that I'm aware of does Halloween..The exceptions of course would be the US owned islands.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
It took over Cabarete yesterday. Many of the people where I live where hiding in their apartments from the begging kids yesterday afternoon and the main street was almost as busy as Semana Santa last night. Being a miserable old fart I didn't take part in the festivities.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
It's not celebrated by kids, but more and more Dominicans adults are having parties. A couple of bars I frequent have been decorated with Halloween decorations weeks before. Now its Christmas time. I was a bit perturbed last year when I saw decorations going up in stores the end of Oct, but I can't complain when I saw an American news story about the same thing this morning. Aghhhhhh

Aug 6, 2006
Dominicans tend to avoid Haitian customs, and the Day of the Dead sounds a bit like some Vodun stuff, Le Baron Samedi and such,
Perhaps this is a reason that Haloween is not that appealing.

Jul 28, 2014
There is also the side, that Halloween is a "Pagan thing." I know some Christians that don't observe it due to its roots, that being said, if the Dominican Christians (of which there are many) view it the same way, I can see why it would never take off in la R.D.

Some light reading for those interested...
http://www1.cbn.com/the-pagan-roots-of-halloween