Wife denied visa to CR? Incompetence or corruption?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
It is a pity but Dominicans of both sexes have a dreadful reputation in many countries .In San Jose,Costa Rica the two main gangs are Dominicans and are feared . On the other side of the coin , the Dominican embassy in Bogota sometimes makes it very difficult for Colombians to get a visa to the DR ,although Dominicans can go to Colombia visa free . It is horrible to be at the mercy of officials but that is the way it is . Even going to Europe and meeting all the published requirements and having good references,a Dominican can be denied a visa

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Even going to Europe and meeting all the published requirements and having good references,a Dominican can be denied a visa

Low level clercs are the same everywhere, but in the end that wouldn't wash with me. Those on my paroll sometimes need a reminder that theybare on my payroll, paid out of money that I earn out in the big bad world, while they cower afraid of the real world in their govt jobs. Without me and people like me there would be no place for them to hide.

That usually helps, if nit with them, with the head of their service

Apr 3, 2009
A very timely post. I am an American and my fiance is Dominican. She has been denied twice by the Costa Rican Embassy!!!

Although, we have traveled to Brazil, Panama, and Colombia (no visa necessary), the CR embassy rejections have been a bit of a mystery. Now, given your recent experience and the rumors of corruption, the CR Embassy was most likely looking for a bribe.

We are getting married next year and plan to honeymoon in Cancun. Costa Rica was our back-up plan. Tonight, I will have to tell her that we need a new back-up plan, because the Costa Rican Embassy is full of thieves.

-BB :bunny:

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
The first problems with visas is being Dominican, no body wants Dominicans unless they have USA, Canada or Schengen Visa, where some countries allow us to visit without applying for a visa like Panama, Costa Rica, Mexico, Aruba, Curazado, Saint Marteen.

I was planning visit Brasil for my vacations, and when I was at the consulate the guy that check the papers was reading my job letter and told me, the minimum wage for the job letter must be 35,000.00 wtf, I said ok. thanks, go back and them made plans to go Cuba where we are welcome and had amazing 7 vactions days in Habana and Santa Maria in Cuba.

Consuls from USA embassy also are most of the times Idiots, My partner is Canadian I have 6 years canadian visa and travel aprox 2 or 3 times a year to Canada and I was Rejected for USA Visa because I dont have strong ties in Dominican Republic, the girl only opened my passport to see my picture in the passport, so its looks like all of them came from the same School when they have a Dominican in front. I also have 10 years mexican visa, visited for vacations Cancun in 2011 and mexico city in 2012 and never tryed cross the border in the south or north side.

So the best thing being Dominican is plan with time vacations or any travel you want to make and be ready to heard Denied, Rejected and have you Plan B always.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you folks are a bit strange. no consulate is obliged to give visa to anyone. deal with it.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Exactly my point. How do the dominican hookers get visas? According to the article I posted a link to, through corrupt costa rican officials. Also I doubt very mangy gringo business owners marry one of their hookers to bring her into CR, lol.

Our first trip together was July of 2009 to Buenos Aires. She has been to 10 countries so far. One would hope the consul was competent enough to see the difference. One would be wrong though.

The part that bothers me is the dicking around for two weeks. If there was an issue or concern, say so. You want and invite from major media companies in CR? Done. Want more proof? More info? No problem. The fact that he called my wife to say it was "complicated" smells fishy.

I can tell you horror stories about US Immigration. When I was 21, I was on a college exchange program from a US college in Sydney Australia. While I was there, my student visa ran out, so I went to the US consulate to get it renewed. You would think, me being entered in a US college on foreign soil this would be no problem. They refused the visa without telling me why. Eventually someone told me it was because 'I couldn't prove I was going to look for a job when I returned to the US." Like I can prove something in the future! They also said I was using 'Australia as a back door to get into the US." So apparently I left the US, to go to Australia, just to sneak back in! I had to get a transit visa and travel over Christmas, only 8 hour stops allowed,took me 3 days to get back to Bahamas where I lived (I am German citizen). My father got me an appointment at the US Embassy to see what happened, turns out that the guy in the Sydney consulate read my 'code wrong.' On the application where it says 'have you ever been turned down a US visa before," I checked 'no,' but he read my code (which was applying for a green card via my mother several years earlier) as that I had been turned down before, so he thought I was lying on my application. But they refused to tell me the truth about why. Bureaucracies are hell on earth!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
your consul owes you nothing. you are not the one to decide who gets the visa and who does not.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
your consul owes you nothing. you are not the one to decide who gets the visa and who does not.

I politely disagree here DV8, as I am a taxpayer he owes me his salary. As my employee he is there solely to ascertain certain formal requirements are met and if they are to issue my guest with a visa.

Him assuming otherwise regarding his station in life vis-a-vis me and my fellow taxpayers would be a mistake. It's not called Civil Service for nothing.

But maybe that is a discussion for another thread?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I politely disagree here DV8, as I am a taxpayer he owes me his salary. As my employee he is there solely to ascertain certain formal requirements are met and if they are to issue my guest with a visa.

Him assuming otherwise regarding his station in life vis-a-vis me and my fellow taxpayers would be a mistake. It's not called Civil Service for nothing.

That is true if it is your home country's Consul. But they don't get paid by Dominicans.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002

Please don't take this personally I'm just adding my two cents but MY consulate also has a responsibility to ME and my fellow Canadians on whom they allow into my country. I think people take it too personally when their spouse, friend, girlfriend etc are denied. It's not you they are denying a visa but the person wishing to enter your or my country.

On the other hand they don't always make the right choice and at times seem to allow people that shouldn't be approved and deny others that should have been. ;)

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Please don't take this personally I'm just adding my two cents but MY consulate also has a responsibility to ME and my fellow Canadians on whom they allow into my/your country. I think people take it too personally when their spouse, friend, girlfriend etc are denied. It's not you they are denying a visa but the person wishing to enter your or my country.

On the other hand they don't always make the right choice and at times seem to allow people that shouldn't be approved and deny others that should have been. ;)

Not taking this personal at all.

He is there for exactly what you and I stated him to be - check against publicized formal requirements that we the people (through our appointed elected representatives) have agreed upon. No more, he is not allowed to introduce special requirements on a case-by-case basis, exactly to make sure he complies by our wishes.

Having seen those rightful requirements met, he should issue a visa. He has no legislative powers.

That for us is his task (he also has other tasks). That is why we as the taxpayers pay him. He is therefore in our (Civil) service. An employee who should perform his duties in the way we ask of him.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
That for us is his task (he also has other tasks). That is why we as the taxpayers pay him. He is therefore in our (Civil) service. An employee who should perform his duties in the way we ask of him.

as a civil servant, as you want to call it, a consul has first and foremost a duty to serve the nation, not individuals. sorry. you have the right to choose the government but you cannot dictate government polices. a person may fill the requirements yet still be refused a visa because at the end of the day the decision is not yours to make. the consul may still have doubts regarding the motives for travel or person's chances of overstaying the visa. civil servant is not your dog to perform tricks the way you want it.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
as a civil servant, as you want to call it, a consul has first and foremost a duty to serve the nation, not individuals. sorry. you have the right to choose the government but you cannot dictate government polices. a person may fill the requirements yet still be refused a visa because at the end of the day the decision is not yours to make. the consul may still have doubts regarding the motives for travel or person's chances of overstaying the visa. civil servant is not your dog to perform tricks the way you want it.

1. I don't want to call it that - it is a civil servant position as defined by the FCO being a part of the Civil Service
2. We have different opinions as to the position of civil servants vis-a-vis those they should serve.
3. Personally, no civil servant can get away with no or vague motivation for denying a visa or not performing a service.
4. His performance in this case should be to apply the publicized criteria and no more, if you fail them, you fail them. If not you must be issued a vise. That is his trick I expect him to perform.

Mod maybe this can be split off from this thread so we can continue this interesting conversation without further polluting the OP's thread?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think i have said all there is to say and we will not agree on this issue so we can stop polluting the thread as is :)

Status
Not open for further replies.