WIFI Possible For Our Condominium?

stpetewifi

Feb 3, 2012
My apologies

Hey there again.. Sorry if I came off spammy... genuinely offering some free expertise. As was requested by the initial post. I was afraid I'd come off as pimping by listing my contact info.. and guilty as so. Offer stands as initially posted (before editing).. This is what I do and I always offer free consultations. I enjoy my work and discussing it.

Feel free to PM me... I do these wireless projects all the time

Thanks
Kevin Branning

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Kevin, thank you for responding in a responsible manner. One of the problems here is that construction is so solid: rebars and concrete blocks. Seems to soak up the wifi signals. What does: Try pulling Cat 5e or Cat 6. Gbit is not all that far away. really mean?

HB

stpetewifi

Feb 3, 2012
Excellent!

Hey HB,

So when people are suggesting "pulling" anything.. Cat5, Cat5e, Cat6 etc. they are talking about networking cable. The end result is having a wired connection. Gbit is a coming network cable that can support Gbps throughput (very fast).

This is what you have to ask yourself.. what are you trying to accomplish. Do you want each condo to have internet access wired or not. Or do you specifically want people to be able to use their laptops, phones and other mobile devices to connect to the wifi network. If you don't care about mobility, then absolutely go with the cabling option. I tell people this all the time, wired is better than wireless performance wise and reliability wise.

You want wireless or WiFi for the convenience of mobility and portability. And it can be done right as long as you understand the limitations and understand how to design it properly. And remember.. wireless doesn't mean no cables. All of the transmitters have to be wired (for optimal performance/reliability).

The cheapest easiest way to provide internet access to your condos is through Cabling. You will need an internet connection and corresponding transceiver (t1, dsl, cable modem, etc.), a router, at least one switch and the appropriate amount of cabling. At the low end of things this could be accomplished for about $400-500 in equipment (the very low, cheap cheap end of things).

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I live in a condo residence in LT. They have antena placed around the courtyard of the various buildings. Probably 4 or5 and I believe they were installed by Claro. The wi-fi is good but not the highest speed, depending on how many are on it.

S