will eating the food make me sick?

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
Advice given to my wife and I by Dr. Bob (vet in Sosua) was to take a tablesppon of vinegar each morning and to eat a yogurt each day since in DR most yogurts are not pasteurized.

I am wanting to do some fishing from shore. The public health report issued in Ontario mentions Ciguartera poisoning is prevalent in reef fish such as snapper, grouper etc. Snapper is my favorite. Anyone have experience or know of prevalence of Ciguartera poisoning? Hope this is on-topic enough...thanks tom

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
twhitehead said:
Advice given to my wife and I by Dr. Bob (vet in Sosua) was to take a tablesppon of vinegar each morning and to eat a yogurt each day since in DR most yogurts are not pasteurized.

I am wanting to do some fishing from shore. The public health report issued in Ontario mentions Ciguartera poisoning is prevalent in reef fish such as snapper, grouper etc. Snapper is my favorite. Anyone have experience or know of prevalence of Ciguartera poisoning? Hope this is on-topic enough...thanks tom

Contrary to popular opinion, ciguatera poisoning is not caused by a parasite in fish. Ciguatera is acquired by certain species of fish while feeding on microscopic coral algae (phytoplankton) in coral reefs. The phytoplankton that produces ciguatera is seasonal: May - October, following the warming cycle of coastal waters. Some species are more susceptible than others, and there are species that don't catch it, such as carite and mero. Areas without coral reefs do not produce ciguatera infected fish. Also, some people are much more susceptible to catching ciguatera than others. For example, I've had a large group of people eating the same fish, and less than half caught ciguatera. Ciguatera, which is a neurotoxin, is rarely fatal, however the symptoms are terrible, and may land you in the emergency room...

-

G

gary short

If you listen to the back street boys and or Celine Dion you'll have the same symptons as food poisoning; violent stomach cramps, diarrhea and vomiting.

Exxtol

Jun 27, 2005
JoeJoe said:
Ok since I am going to live in Santo Domingo for almost five months I was wondering what I food I should stay away from and what food is safe to eat. I havent had too much much out of Canada and I'm a little scared about getting extremely sick. Any tips or suggestions? Thank you :)

Well, there will be people who will tell you not to eat from street vendors........as i do understand their concerns i must say some of the best food i ever had while i lived in santo domingo was from street vendors. i actually ate quite regularly from street vendors, probably a few times a week and never got sick; however, that was me.

i suggest that you eat at street vendors at your discretion and use common sense. examine the meat before they cook it, obviously if it looks green you shouldn't eat it. however, don't let the folks scare you out of ever eating anything from the streets from time to time. additionally, i would like to stress the only food poisoning i ever had in my life was in a U.S., "first world", casual dining restaurant--there are risks in everything, restaurants are no cleaner--trust me i work in one here in the U.S.--just because you can't see them soiling the food doesn't mean it doesn't happen (boy do i have stories).

i never got sick with the water either, even though, unbeknownst to me i was drinking tap water (i wouldn't do that--thats riskier than any food on the street imo). however, i did have gastro-intestinal problems for the first 3 months--gas, bloating, and diarrhea, as my body adjusted to the rice, beans, platanos, and the occasional bacalao diet. good luck!

Exxtol

Jun 27, 2005
hollywood north said:
perhaps but Immodium IS a great idea when....you are going diving and cannot sit near a toilet all day...or have an expensive tour or long driving trip somewhere.......or have a job where you cannot leave your desk for many times during the day...etc etc.

Lets not forget its most important function--it prevents dehydration from diarrhea. Somone mentioned something about parasites and what not--whether or not that is true i do not know. but what i do know is that while it may be flushing out harmful parasites, it is also robbing your body of water, electrolytes, sodium and other minerals that are critical to homeostasis. The amount of water that you lose from peristent diarrhea is significant. And like you stated, it's simply not practical or pleasant. Keep that Immodium handy at all times, diarrhea is not a game, especially not in the DR.

hollywood north

Dec 11, 2002
www.cybersecretary.ca
Thank you Mocacael! Yes enough already - and NONE of it in the DR. And I have eaten from street vendors all over the country, had frio frios - all the things we are supposed to avoid - and no issues.

Seems like a lot of toutist's problems are related to too much bad rum and sun!

The dehydration factor is also something to keep in check - especially somewhere warm.

LOL! Loved the Celine symptoms!!!!

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Hollywood and Exxtol, I am in total agreement withyou about eating from street vendors. I have never gotten sick from such eating, ever. Actually in some places, like India, it is safer than the restaurants. I would be a little wary of the Chimi here, but anything well cooked is unlikely to hurt you, and a lot of it is good, really good. In Sonador we have a pollo frito stand that is to die for, and across the street a woman who makes delicious empanadas. It would be silly to miss out on that for fear of contracting something. Some people here talk about parasites gotten from eating sweets, but I think that is a myth. And how can you resist all the coconut treats on display here?

Immodium, well, I have travelled through enough places to contract my share of parasites and I have never felt the need to use it. Gatorade will work fine to restore your electrolytes. On the other hand, if you have dysentery, gatorade is no solution and you need to get to a clinic!! Joking aside, you are both right, dehydration is a serious thing, you have to be sure to stem that or you will be in trouble.

Mirador, thanks for all the info on ciguatera -- jives perfectly with what I have seen here: two friends of mine contracted ciguatera precisely during the season you mention, and their symptoms were what you would expect from a neurotoxin. They didnt have to go to the hospital, but they were ill for some time, and in fact symptoms apparently can last for a very long time indeed.

Last edited:

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
Thank you for the info on ciguatera. Much appreciated. My only experience in DR with being sick was after consuming about 3 dozen raw oysters at Playa Grande last year during Semana Santa (sp?). Consumed them about 1 in the morning and by the next evening I was a mess. Been wary of any of the beach food since - are the shrimp on the beach a no no to eat? thanks tom

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Do you eat shrimp @ home that have been baking in the sun for 6 hours?....and probably left over from who knows how many day(s) prior!

You are lucky you did not die from eating those Oysters.

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
Tamborista said:
Do you eat shrimp @ home that have been baking in the sun for 6 hours?....and probably left over from who knows how many day(s) prior!

You are lucky you did not die from eating those Oysters.

So I take it that you sugget not to eat them. :surprised The oysters definately did a job on me. THanks for the info...tom

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
It's all been said before but in my opinion you can take one of two routes:

1. Eat only carefully prepared food and drink only purified water, thus avoiding any possible bacteria. If you succeed it will be fine, but the least amount of bacteria that does make it through will make you fall ill..

2. Eat everything, drink purified water and eat some yoghurt everyday. In this manner you'll most likely build up some resistance to the normal local bacteria.. and be much more comfortable..

Since you will stay 5 months I recommend 2. as this is the most practical and I would think you'll have very little problems apart maybe from an upset stomach in the beginning.. but you can hedge that to some extent by starting to eat unpasteurised yoghurt whenever you can now..