Will Making

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
So, again, PA guy.. if you are IN the DR and your assests are in the DR then the DR law governs and you are not allowed to disinherit your children and Chichi Gonzalez, who has given you such comfort in your elder years, will not get but a portion say if she herself has perhaps been living in the house as a wife if you own the property. So if you own property here and have financial assests such as CDs here, you had best consult a Dominican lawyer as to how to write your will,

If, however, you have kept your assests in a stock account say at Charles Schawb or Merril Lynch Pierce Fenner and Bean and do not own any real property here in the Domiinican Republic, you may indeed leave your money and real estate in the United States, the Cayman Islands and the Maldives to Chichi, and the orphanage.

I am not a lawyer. Nor do I play one on the internet. I only got a really high score on the LSAT and watch a lot of Law and order. Disinheritance of a Child or Other Relative - A Serious Decision With Serious Consequences

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I guess what confuses me is this...... Dominican law is pretty clear about who gets what. We have a US will, which wouldn't cut it in DR because it basically says "I die, he gets everything, he dies, I get everything, if both of us die, our kids split it".

As far as our Dominican assets, my understanding is that if something happens to me all our property becomes split 50/50: Mr. AE still owns his half, and our kids own my half. When he later dies, they own both halves.

So, why would I spend money on a Dominican will? I can't change that, can I?

PaGuyinDr

Sep 2, 2013
So, again, PA guy.. if you are IN the DR and your assests are in the DR then the DR law governs and you are not allowed to disinherit your children and Chichi Gonzalez, who has given you such comfort in your elder years, will not get but a portion say if she herself has perhaps been living in the house as a wife if you own the property. So if you own property here and have financial assests such as CDs here, you had best consult a Dominican lawyer as to how to write your will,

If, however, you have kept your assests in a stock account say at Charles Schawb or Merril Lynch Pierce Fenner and Bean and do not own any real property here in the Domiinican Republic, you may indeed leave your money and real estate in the United States, the Cayman Islands and the Maldives to Chichi, and the orphanage.

I am not a lawyer. Nor do I play one on the internet. I only got a really high score on the LSAT and watch a lot of Law and order. Disinheritance of a Child or Other Relative - A Serious Decision With Serious Consequences

Thanks for the info. I actually did not know that this would be something I needed to address when buying a home in the DR. Live and learn. IMHO there should be a "spite exemption" in both the US and DR. :laugh:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
As far as our Dominican assets, my understanding is that if something happens to me all our property becomes split 50/50: Mr. AE still owns his half, and our kids own my half. When he later dies, they own both halves.
So, why would I spend money on a Dominican will? I can't change that, can I?

you could disinherit mr AE, maybe? ;)