Will pay for advance person to help me.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Bilingual guide

starbay said:
Starbay
If I had a Spanish and English speaking person that knew the 'ropes', and would go around with me to make sure I wasn't getting 'ripped' off, I would be grateful in many ways.
If there is a need for a bilingual person, we should be able to find you someone.
The secret is to be sure that he has your interest at heart.
Escott knows the local real estate and I know a fair bit about where to purchase items you may need.
Once you have met & spoken to some of the local ex-pats, you will find this all too easy.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
You Can Do That....

santanatwins said:
I use to spend alot of time in sosua and I recommend you stay at Hotel Europe for a week or two. Rent a moped out and just drive around town and look for signs that say "for Rent". Ask the caretaker and neighbors general questions and you'll be surprised how much you can learn about the area. Also, some of the numbers posted on the signs are for real estates/lawyers who are handling the rental and they my be able to show you other apartments not being advertised to the public. That's how I was able to find my apartment.

All the other things you mentioned can be dealt with after you have your place.

Someplaces charge you a fee for using the Inverters. But if you plan on staying for a while, it might be worth buying your own inverter and having it installed. You should be able to to pick up a used moped in descent condition from one of the repair shops on the main strip in Charamico.

I recommend you buy a used sprint/verizon phone from your present location and just have it activated with a local number once you get here. I think it only cost $5 dollars to get a number. Prepaid cards can be purchased at any local store or traffic corner.

It cost me around $2000 to get the basics for an apartment. Master bedroom set, frieg, stove, dining room set, living room set, gas tank, spare bed for my younger son, washing machine and TV. You should also alocate around $300 for basic kitchen and bath items.

As you can tell from previous post, the electric companies are extortionist so be prepared to watch your usage. And when appling for intial service, tell them you have 2 lightbulbs, 1 frieg and a tv. That's IT!!!!!!!!!! or else they we'll require a large deposit that you will never see again.

If I can get by on $500 a month with a family of 3, then you should definately be able to get by on $1500. Minus an air conditioner. I use fans and would probably have a heart attack from an electric bill that had AC.

Any other questions.......use the Search function on this board. It will answer all your smaller questions. :glasses:

Where do you live...because that's what I'm talking about! I spend anywhere from 1200 to 2000 a month. Of course I have an SUV, a full-time live in maid, and an A/C bill that cost me 2000pesos a month. I even cut back on buying some foodstuffs I love...but I could never get it down to 500. Please tell me how you do it...or did I just answer myself.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
How refreshing!

Full marks, starbay. Here we have a potential resident, who asks questions, takes advice & ACTS ON IT, all in a short period of time. You will be a welcome addition to the expat community, such a refreshing change from another I could mention (but won't).
And this guy really has done it all, folks, read the book. But not once has he rammed this down anyone's throat. Welcome! I DO like secure people :cool:

P.S. I enjoyed the book. IF you're coming here to write, there's quite a lot of Jackie Collins type material we could let you in on!!!

Last edited:

starbay

Dec 1, 2003
www.rumcay.com
Smiles........I guess you did your homework!

How did you find out about me being an author? starbay.com? I am a very private person, and even though I am a published author, I don't need to boast about it. I want friends based on my personality and service to the community and not who I am in public. Thanks for your Keen Insight. When I come down I will bring you copies of my latest books.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Thank you!

I'd love that! The book I started 12 years ago when I moved to live here is STILL at that stage......started & then abandoned! There has always been too much else to do (& I'm retired!).
It is difficult to be a "private person" here, both with the Dominican culture AND some of the expat. culture! PM me if you would like to, for more on how I try to achieve several degrees of separation. I wouldn't want to post it for fear of offense!!

Alexis

Jul 4, 2004
Responding To Message

I recieved your message in regards to perhaps sharing a place. My friend and I are coming down on Septmeber 11th. That is definitly a possible idea. I am quite familiar with the Cabarete area. Do you speek any spanish?

Alexis

santanatwins

Jan 20, 2004
It can be done

I credit my wife with watching her spending habits. My electric bill went up 250 pesos to 750 pesos a month after I installed my inverter. And when it's running she has my son play with his toys to keep the batteries from running out sooner. I try to buy food in big sizes so that they last longer.

I don't own a car but if I have to go shopping I call a taxi. I live within a 5 minute walk from two small grocery stores for items that we run out of. I split the cable bill with my nieghbor.

My total expenses for rent,electric, gas, water, cable runs around $350 US a month. Throw in the extras like eating out, taxis and visits to the childrens doctor and there's my $500 a month budget.

starbay

Dec 1, 2003
www.rumcay.com
I wasn't the one who asked, but thanks for the info

I am curious as to the area you live in that cheap?

santanatwins said:
I credit my wife with watching her spending habits. My electric bill went up 250 pesos to 750 pesos a month after I installed my inverter. And when it's running she has my son play with his toys to keep the batteries from running out sooner. I try to buy food in big sizes so that they last longer.

I don't own a car but if I have to go shopping I call a taxi. I live within a 5 minute walk from two small grocery stores for items that we run out of. I split the cable bill with my nieghbor.

My total expenses for rent,electric, gas, water, cable runs around $350 US a month. Throw in the extras like eating out, taxis and visits to the childrens doctor and there's my $500 a month budget.

starbay

Dec 1, 2003
www.rumcay.com
All you needed to do was write (1) page a day for 12 years

Think of how large your book would be now! Volumous!

Lambada said:
I'd love that! The book I started 12 years ago when I moved to live here is STILL at that stage......started & then abandoned! There has always been too much else to do (& I'm retired!).
It is difficult to be a "private person" here, both with the Dominican culture AND some of the expat. culture! PM me if you would like to, for more on how I try to achieve several degrees of separation. I wouldn't want to post it for fear of offense!!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
You're right, but I suppose I chose to find out about the local culture instead (excuses, excuses!). And then I got into Dominican history...and THEN I got into Dominican politics and that was a lot more exciting (& volatile) than my plotline.
Since penultimate post was on cost of living, I guess ours is about U.S.$1000 a month. That is for 2 people, doesn't include rent as we own a house (well 2 actually), includes food, electricity, cable, internet flash, telephone, salary for part time maid & gardener. We already have cars & all the clothes we need, so those not included & I didn't include insurance on both houses (because I forgot!)