Witchcraft, And Voodoo, And Spells,oh My!

yvette

Jun 18, 2004
A new thread this morning caught my eye; 'Are Dominican Females Crazy?' My question is how deeply is witchcraft, voodoo, and casting spells ingrained into the hearts, minds, and culture of the Dominican people, and how and where did it originate?

Yvette

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Simple

Any theocentric society can easily develop such traits.

The Christianity that came with the Spaniards was highly structured and God ruled.
The African spiritual traditions also put a lot of faith on deities.

So, logically, if you accept the tenets of Christianity, you also have to accept the tenets of all the other faiths based on God's revelation. And if God can speak to man, any man can speak to God., Therefore, the possibility of some person "communicating" and using God's gifts for his own perceived "good deeds" is a possibility. Like I just posted in the other thread, most of the shamans do not work for profit. Of course, the swindlers mentioned in the news article are not shamans, they are bunko artists, well practiced in the arts of separating people from their money.

HB :D:D:D

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Hillbilly said:
they are bunko artists, well practiced in the arts of separating people from their money.

HB :D:D:D
You are definitely Old Skool my friend, I haven't heard the word "Bunko" in a long time, remember the old gangster movies with the "Bunko Squad" raiding the parlours?

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Witchcraft, voodoo, spells, and magic in general are universal, and not a particular trait of Dominican women only. From a psychological stand point, everyone is born with a magical mind and imagination; and anthropologically, magic precedes science and forms the background of everyone's even most cherished religious beliefs.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Ricardo900 said:
You are definitely Old Skool my friend, I haven't heard the word "Bunko" in a long time, remember the old gangster movies with the "Bunko Squad" raiding the parlours?

Legerdemain and showmanship are very much part of witchcraft, voodoo, spells, and magical manipulation in general.

Like I said in the other post,

They probably (not gender specfic) get swindled the same way billions of dollars have been swindled from americans in the US by programs like The Psychic network or the mom and pop Psychic houses in every town. BAsically they are Witches.

People always want answers they could answer and solve themselves

A witch is a crude name for Psychic.

I agree, its Universal. Every country has them. They just need ta Corporate tag and call themselves Psychic then they can be legitimate. At least thats what it seems elsewhere around the world.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
If you've ever had a hunch, gut feeling, or even a feeling of deja vu, you could be psychic. We all have intuition. It's whether we use it.
I agree about people who take advantage, and they are in every walk of life.
Anybody who believes in infinity could make an argument that anything is possible - infinitely possible.
mkohn
feeling philosophical

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
There's a big differece between a psychic and a witch. A psychic is intuitive which is something we have but some develope it better than others as Mary stated. A witch can perform spells and cast good and evil upon a person or thing. Especially to the weak mind.

If a person is highly superstitious they can themselves make most things happen other than winning a lotto. The crazy thing is that these same supertitious people believe in God and never think of turning things over to him because they think that evil has more power than good. ;)

I know this, I'm a Sicilian witch, I mean I'm psychic :laugh:

Anna Coniglio said:
There's a big differece between a psychic and a witch. A psychic is intuitive which is something we have but some develope it better than others as Mary stated. A witch can perform spells and cast good and evil upon a person or thing. Especially to the weak mind.

If a person is highly superstitious they can themselves make most things happen other than winning a lotto. The crazy thing is that these same supertitious people believe in God and never think of turning things over to him because they think that evil has more power than good. ;)

I know this, I'm a Sicilian witch, I mean I'm psychic :laugh:

So you are saying if you went to a person who calls themselves a Psychic and they start performing spells, blah blah blah, then they are undercover witches?
Because I've seen Psychics attempt to perform spells.

Maybe its a PsycoWitch.

The affect is still the same, sinse I don't beleive in neither, I think they both take advantage of the weakminded.
Because a person with a strong mind or self confidence, wouldn't go to people like that.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
sancochojoe said:
So you are saying if you went to a person who calls themselves a Psychic and they start performing spells, blah blah blah, then they are undercover witches?

Because I've seen Psychics attempt to perform spells.

Gee Joe I never would have guessed you were one the weak minded! :laugh: