With USD$300-400/month can I get what I am looking for?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
No Santiago has not taken a dip and won't anytime soon. It is the greatest city in DR and apartments are in demand. The population keeps growing and it has everything that you want with less*traffic*than SD.*

Good, it sounds like a great place to be, we've always enjoyed a spot of shopping there. But with these prices it doesn't suggest they are in demand, but maybe people are just content. Either way it is good news and obviously if it continues will not be long before it is as cluttered as Santo Domingo:surprisedwhich is not so good:ermm:

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Again, I have only read the first page of this thread but I must disagree with what was said on that page.
2 years ago, I lived in a upper middle class neighborhood in Santiago for $425 per month in a 4 bedroom house with ample yard, patio, laundry area, and a family room upstairs. The house had North American style windows (I hate Dominican Windows) and a water heater. All of my neighbors had at least 1 jeepeta. I was the only one on my street without a car.
My house was never robbed or even an attempted robbery but a friend of mine in one of those "uppity, expat" neighborhoods had their bikes stolen in broad daylight
I have a friend who is looking for me now and the links that she sends me are of the same caliber of my old house... Maybe not in the Capital but you should be able to find something of that price.

SHALENA

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I know how to find an apartment/house, I've just never come across them at these prices in good central areas. Other than that furnished usually doubles the rent, so $260 inclusive of phone and net is amazing value, no matter where it is. I was really asking if rentals in Santiago have taken a dip recently? It's great for tenants, housing priced relevant to earnings is what everyone wants.

Prices for apartments have risen actually over the last 6 years I've been here. For example, the three bedroom apartment that I referenced in Los Llanos de Gurabo in Santiago that goes for RD8000 a month now would have been around RD6000 5 years ago.

Here is a picture of the apartments right behind my house that are 4 years old. It is enclosed with security. They go for RD9000 and up for a three bedroom:

9984781552.jpg

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Surely that can't be furnished Chip? I'm not doubting anything, just in my experience I've not come across anything like this price for furnished, and I've been around the block a few times as far a s rentals goes. Maybe I'm pi$$ed I never found any interest in Santiago, all the brainache over the years might have been avoided.:ermm:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The short term lease may make it more difficult. And expensive.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
So Chip,

Prices have gone down, if you take inflation into account. That 6,000 rds should be close to 9,000 rds now.

Just saying.

BelgianK

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I think that there are going to be places in the Zona that will rent for that -- maybe not apartments but maybe studios.. Furnished apartments here are usually only available for year long leases. But he said he is gonna check out LT. no?

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
I just helped my friend move into a three bedroom one in Los Llanos de Gurabo. His total monthly bill for the rent, internet and telephone is US260 a month.

Great deal if trash pick-up is included!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!