Wonder of the Seas docks in Puerto Plata

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Wonder-of-the-Seas-Hoy-1024x651.png

Puerto Plata governor Claritza Rochette, the regional director of Tourism for Puerto Plata Atahualpa Paulino and the Mayor of Puerto Plata Diomedes Garcia welcomed the Wonder of the Seas cruise ship to Puerto Plata on 2 January 2023. The biggest cruise ship in the world docked at Taino Bay. The cruise ship arrived at 8:30am to the Puerto Plata city cruise ship terminal.

The ship has capacity for 6,988 passengers and 2,300 crew. Hoy reported on board were 6,370 passengers and 2,394 crew.

The Wonder of the Seas is a Royal Caribbean cruise ship. The ship is 362 meters long and 64 meters wide. It began its cruises in March 2022.

The Taino Bay port is operating since 15 December 2022.

Follow the story:Detras de Camara...

[url=https://dr1.com/news/2023/01/03/wonder-of-the-seas-docks-in-puerto-plata/]Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: bachata

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
While I would love to do a tour of this baby, I can't imagine being on a boat with 8700 persons.
Might need one of this to not get tired simply walking from one end to another.

30576CF4-FC9C-4798-B88E-5396BE34488F.jpeg

PS. Segway is dead, but there are similar ones. lol

Buzz65

Jul 13, 2017
In my travel experiences, an AI resort is a "vacation", whereas a cruise is more like an "adventure" with all the port stops and excursions. Both are nice, but different.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
We will be doing a 2 week caribbean cruise later this month and the a transatlantic cruise out of Florida in April.
We have 4 stops in the DR. STQ, 2 on the north coast and LA Romana. I am looking forward to it.
I think they are great. Some cruise lines have better food than others but I have never seen anyone loose weight on either a cruise ship or a AI hotel.

Reactions: Buzz65

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
We will be doing a 2 week caribbean cruise later this month and the a transatlantic cruise out of Florida in April.
We have 4 stops in the DR. STQ, 2 on the north coast and LA Romana. I am looking forward to it.
I think they are great. Some cruise lines have better food than others but I have never seen anyone loose weight on either a cruise ship or a AI hotel.
For island hoping in the Carribean they are great, but the stops are too short to see very much.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
For island hoping in the Carribean they are great, but the stops are too short to see very much.
For some of the islands they are short stops for others more than enough time. We did a caribbean cruise from SDQ a few years ago and the only place I would have liked more time was Grenada.
Beautiful place from what we saw.

Reactions: AlaPlaya

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
For some of the islands they are short stops for others more than enough time. We did a caribbean cruise from SDQ a few years ago and the only place I would have liked more time was Grenada.
Beautiful place from what we saw.
Yep- we did the same. Grenada was certainly one stop that we would have enjoyed a longer stay.

Funny though - most of the expats we traveled with just wanted to go to the beach at each stop. Including Barbados. :ROFLMAO:

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Yep- we did the same. Grenada was certainly one stop that we would have enjoyed a longer stay.

Funny though - most of the expats we traveled with just wanted to go to the beach at each stop. Including Barbados. :ROFLMAO:
We found that too. There where 6 of us and we would just wonder a few blocks from the terminal, find a guy with a big van, offered him the cruise price of one adult excursion and have a great day out. A bit sketchy for some people but we got to see some incredible places without the crowds.

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
I'm headed FL to Rome, April 6. Three weeks!

Bluenoser

Feb 26, 2019
The country sees great benefits from all the passengers that come. I read just a short time ago that, on average, each one spends about US$100 while ashore, per stop. There are docking fees that the ship pays, as well as local people employed at the terminal.
Typically the ship doesn't take on provisions, they are stocked at their home port.

We've been on 6 cruises, got to see a little bit of a lot of places, we went back to some on our own to stay a few weeks, others were no attraction to us.

We always book a room with a balcony which is a great place for peace & quiet, we never go to the pool area as it's typically crowded and noisy.

We tend to go to the main dining room for meals, generally less busy than the buffet and a bit easier to resist over eating as there're set portions. The trouble with eating in the dining room is that when we get home we miss having the chair pulled out and our drinks poured for us.lol

We prearrange for a private tour operator at each port, before we leave home. Lots of research is done and we know what we want to see.
Trip Advisor is a great source of info on 'must sees' and reputable tour operators. We're OK with a small group of 10 or less, w are not into being just 2 bodies among 50-60 others on a motor coach.

The ship will promote their tours, because they get a big markup on the fee, up to 100%.
They'll try to discourage private tours, "if you're on our tour and are late getting back, we'll wait for you, if it's a private tour, we leave without you".
Any private tour operator knows if their guests miss that boarding time, the reviews on TripAdvisor will ensure that they won't get any future bookings.

We're doing a repositioning cruise in the fall, Italy to Florida, only 2 port visits.

Cruising Pluses
- a taste of many different places
- there's no packing, navigating and unpacking at the new place every day.
- great food
- wide variety of entertainment.

Negatives
- limited port time.
- multiple port days in a row are tiring, I prefer a sea day after no more than 2 port visits in a row in order to relax and recover from the adventures.