Wonderful tribute for Dominican policeman living in USA

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
The funeral for Dominican Manuel ( Manny ) Familar was held today in Worcester, Ma.
He died last Friday while trying to save 3 young boys who were drowning in a lake in Worcester. A 14 year old boy also drowned. His name is Troy Love. Troy was on vacation from VA. visiting family in Worc. MA.
Manny and is family moved to the US when he was 10 years old. He became a police officer 5 years ago. He was married to his high school sweetheart and they have 2 children ages 17 and 13. He was very active in the community and very well know and respected. He belonged to many organizations.
The funeral was grand! It was televised. Thousands of policemen from all over the town, state, and all of the US were in attendance as was a huge number of his family members. Thousands of people! There was a horse drawn carriage, bagpipes, and also a grand white Hearst.
One of my favorite parts of the funeral was when his brother spoke about him. His older brother acknowledged that there was also a 14 year old who died that day. He said that the boy was as important and significant as his brother was. He pledged to the boys family that the Familar family would take care of the Love family also.
Both of them have had GoFund me pages set up by various people. The Familiar one has raised over 130 thousands dollars so far. Plus the police department has set up a memorial fund for the family. The Love family GoFund me was around 3 thousand the last time I saw it. I am proud of Manny Familiar's brother for acknowledging that both lives were equal ( despite the fact that his brother was a policeman). Both families are suffering.
Rest in peace Officer Manny Familar and Troy Love

Jan 9, 2004
It was quite a tribute for a great guy and father who gave his life trying to save another.

I met him and his family over the years as they patronized one of my Dominican car dealer clients.

He was originally from La Vega and came here as a young boy.

Emmanuel “Manny” Familia, may his memory and sacrifice not be forgotten.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
It was quite a tribute for a great guy and father who gave his life trying to save another.

I met him and his family over the years as they patronized one of my Dominican car dealer clients.

He was originally from La Vega and came here as a young boy.

Emmanuel “Manny” Familia, may his memory and sacrifice not be forgotten.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Thanks for posting the link.
You were ne of the fortunate ones to have met him.