Worried about the safety of your food?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Yes! They do carry a very good test on foods!

The issue at hand must be that would you "really" want to find out if that stuff you have been eating for so long was this or that?

We only eat Induveca at home in the DR! It's tested a lot since it's exported to the US market from the same production line that supplies the local market...

As for the "beef" contents, in the US the FDA allows for the lowest % as that wanted by local producers in the DR now. Italian Salami has LESS beef in it than the traditional DR salami!! But less caca than the DR! LOL!!

Dominican salami has as much in common with Italian salami as chalk does to cheese.

Don't even get me starting on what is called cheese here. I would be surprised if there is any dairy product in it.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It's the other way around and yet you still don't know it!

LOL!!

That was a ridiculous response. It is like comparing a horrible tasting hotdog (DR Salami) to a premium tasting cold cut (Italian salami). How many people would choose DR salami over Italian salami?

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Kinda of ( i said kind of) like the hot dog wars... They taste good until you know what they contain. Heck even then they may still taste good. I have been having salami since I have been here, a good 20 + years. I am still here and I can not attribute any illness to DR salami. Now what I would not give for a Junior's hotdog from Chicago is another story.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Dominican salami has as much in common with Italian salami as chalk does to cheese.
Don't even get me starting on what is called cheese here. I would be surprised if there is any dairy product in it.
scuse me! if you buy cheese directly from a local maker it is as cheesy as it gets :) and tasty too. sure thing, not much variety there but nonetheless high quality and organic.
i concur with salami, thou. i come from kiełbasa country, dominican deli products are just... dog food...

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
Don't even get me starting on what is called cheese here

one night I tried to make a simple grilled cheese sandwich
20 min later no melting what so ever
I wanted to cry lol
Manu

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
scuse me! if you buy cheese directly from a local maker it is as cheesy as it gets :) and tasty too. sure thing, not much variety there but nonetheless high quality and organic.
i concur with salami, thou. i come from kiełbasa country, dominican deli products are just... dog food...

Like I said, most first world countries allow more stuff than the DR uses on their goods! Even chemicals and preservatives!

Not to mention what goes into their stuff!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
pichi, please: less !!! and more sense. have you been to poland and tried polish kiełbasa? 's good stuff. real good. nothing dominicans make compare, longaniza included (it can be, however, used as laxative/detox). do we have foodgate cases? by all means, but at least it about too much ears and feet and not too much fecal matter :)

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Pichardo, be honest, the industrial cheese here sucks. I doubt it is cheese at all. It does not even melt, but just curles up like plastic does.

It even tastes like plastic....

Yes, you can get some decent cheese here, from the locals.

But, please do not compare the produce here to first world standards in salami, serrano, cheese, or whatever...

And having said that... THEY DO NOT EVEN KNOW HOW TO CUT THAT FIRST WORLD PRODUCE....

BELGIANK

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Only GSD Eat It.

...curles up like plastic does. It even tastes like plastic....

Well, if it looks like plastic and tastes like plastic it is plastic.

(...) dominican deli products are just... dog food...

Depends.
My chihuahuas do not eat Dominican salami.
[I admit it was 'de la mala', the cheaper kind and they had Italian salami before. ;) ]
The GSD do; but of course, the chihuahuas are smarter... :bunny:

donP

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Where do you get your Muenster, Gouda, Cheddar, etc? Or are you talking about the soft white cheese they use here for frying? I am talking about a product like Productos Sosua makes and calls cheese. Velveeta would be a better "cheese" than the plasticine substances produced by Productos Sosua.

As for Dominican Salami we have already been warned that some of the producers add an unsuitable filler of fecal matter. And I suppose nitrites are not an additive to Induveca and other Dominican Salamis ?

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Interesting Product

Or are you talking about the soft white cheese they use here for frying? I am talking about a product like Productos Sosua makes and calls cheese.

And yes, they eat it. :surprised

This spongy matter is almost without taste, its texture is somewhat between a marshmallow and an eraser.
Yet, it is an interesting product, I am sure one could find some technical use for it. :bunny:

Fry it? Any better then? :paranoid:

I stick to Greek FETA.

donP

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
And yes, they eat it. :surprised

This spongy matter is almost without taste, its texture is somewhat between a marshmallow and an eraser.
Yet, it is an interesting product, I am sure one could find some technical use for it. :bunny:

Fry it? Any better then? :paranoid:

I stick to Greek FETA.

donP

Yes the white spongy cheese-like product is typically fried here, but what is not fried? I have had it and the texture is certainly interesting and very different than Plasitcos Sosua cheese impersonations, I'm sorry Productos Sosua, fabricates.

OK, it's time to get some extra sharp cheddar at PriceSmart.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Where do you get your Muenster, Gouda, Cheddar, etc? Or are you talking about the soft white cheese they use here for frying? I am talking about a product like Productos Sosua makes and calls cheese. Velveeta would be a better "cheese" than the plasticine substances produced by Productos Sosua

i am talking queso en hoja and queso tipo geo here, mainly, because that's what we buy. and i said: not much variety but it is as cheesy as a cheese can be.

and yeah, my dogs eat salami, i buy it as a treat for them. but they like chicken s**t too so not the most refined palate.

we used to eat fried salami super especial from induveca. fried to a crisp it was ok. and we eat frying cheese, fried. :) i kinda like it.

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
money is no issue for gringos. you are talking about people who buy 23 packets of nathan's hot dogs in one go :)

we buy our dominican cheeses directly from local producer. all other cheeses we buy are imported: from feta to cottage.
we also buy imported salami. dominican hams. imported sausages or local made from german and english butchers. i do not skimp on money for food. i like to eat well.