Would $1600 a month allow 1 person to live comfortably in the DR ?

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
Depends on where in the country you want to live. Some places are a lot less expensive than others. Single, married, children.. ect, plays a role as well.

I don't know anyone who is single who is foolish enough to pay 30,000 pesos a month in rent/ water/ electric in a developing country.
You have clearly not seen the recent listings of rentals on the North Coast during the last 6 months. It's almost impossible to find a 1 bedroom apt below $500 in this area, unless it's unfurnished or in a "barrio" not close to the beach.
Prices are getting somewhat ridiculous here, obviously not as in Canada or the US, but compared to the local income it's bad.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
King Rey?
Yes I will live like a king in SOSUA.
Just think about I pay all services US $100. a month... internet RD 1,850. Electricity RD $800. HOR US $30. Including water service. A prepaid cellphone plan.
Food and beverage I would say RD $500 a day
I Will be driving around everyday looking for things to do.
I don't need a lot of money to live in DR.

Chapiadoras won't make not money with me.

JJ

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
Just think about I pay all services US $100. a month... internet RD 1,850. Electricity RD $800. HOR US $30. Including water service. A prepaid cellphone plan.

JJ
We must have seen different movies and/or read different books that included "Kings" i guess LOL

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe

JJ
That’s quite a difference when you own your house.
I was there for almost a month in feb/march, just back here, but will be back in a month.
We have our house, we have a well.
But still I spent like 3k € in a month.
That incluides our daily wine and rum and I buy a good cigar a day (Marinero or Janet’s), we eat rice and beans but also all other kind of stuff.
Maybe it would be different when you live there permanently, I don’t know. I did that in the ninetees but all was paid by the company I worked for.

$1600 Must be posible but I think you have to count your peso daily.

Reactions: windeguy

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Get off the North Coast and things get much cheaper rentwise.

I live in a comfortable 3bd/2bath in San Cristobal for 230 a month, internet is about 60 dollars for FiberOptic 220Mbps, and electricity is around 20 a month. I have 3 cars but drive very little. No drinking. A few cigars here and there.

You can find 1-bedroom apartments for around 150.

1600 is definitely doable.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Get off the North Coast and things get much cheaper rentwise.

I live in a comfortable 3bd/2bath in San Cristobal for 230 a month, internet is about 60 dollars for FiberOptic 220Mbps, and electricity is around 20 a month. I have 3 cars but drive very little. No drinking. A few cigars here and there.

You can find 1-bedroom apartments for around 150.

1600 is definitely doable.
No drinking? That's not even low level royalty, much less a King.
More water for my horses and more Glenfiddich for my men.

Aug 21, 2007
Not sure about Puerto Plata área. But if the country life would appeal and a simple one or two bedroom house in a solely Dominican area, you could rent for about $100 a month. I have US and Canadian friends living in the Jamao area in places like this. It is a simple, but very sweet life. However you would have to know some Spanish and be content not to have lots of other ex- pats around nor restaurants.

By the way Ginny and Graham were dear friends of mine. They were our trailblazers here.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Yes, 1600 a month is very doable.

Now, if you are going to use another source of income in order to go back home once in a while and/or for large-ish one-time expenses, say furniture or a car, well then 1600 will go a loooong way.

Reactions: bachata

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
My friends and coworkers here in the US won't believe it, I pay my mom's apartamento in Santiago and mine in Sosua electric bills $30. Dollars a month. My house here in the US is over $100. Dollars a month. Water and gas service sometimes is scary...

JJ

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
It's a 2015 Versa and we get 40mpg.

My Haitian kid uses it for work now. So while I might pay only $40 a month. He will put in 500 pesos a couple times a month.
My diesel Prado gets close to 40 if I don't use my lead foot.

• Wow
Reactions: cavok

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Not everyone is a piss tank. I spend less than 2000 pesos a month on Alcohol. My wife does drink and she doesn't like restaurants. We own so don't have the rental expense.
LOL.. I bought a six-pack of beer last year and it's still waiting for someone to drink it.