You dont like cricket!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiggie

Apr 17, 2005
cricket = la plaquita, sort off

i know is old but hey, in moca, where i live ,w eplay soccer, basketball, volleyball, and baseball and your cricket is play as la plaquita.. is a ghettho version of it. fun game BTW. Hope you are enjoying the Dominican Republic as we miss it a lot here in the states. BTW i didnt see where you moved, maybe we can find some help for you if you havent already done so.
PS: havent you noticed how women look at you, because you are an outsider.. it is really fun.

quejeyoke

Jun 20, 2004
[>j ------------------------------------------- 7<]

I played quite a bit of cricket as a young boy in DR. It was very popular back then amonst the young boys. The name is La Placa; Cricket= La Placa= third world mod. Would pay to play this sport again. I think it has faded out drastically since the eighties as I've never seen anyone playing it for a long time. I wish the gov would make a cricket league in the DR. But that's as far fetched as having the gov. resolve the electricity problem. :cry:

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Apropos the 'cocolo' thread - is this Dominican version of cricket a result of 'cocolo' influence? We have a photo of some boys playing 'placa' in Samana, where many people have English surnames, but are said to be descended from north American slaves, who AFAIK wouldn't have played cricket.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Chirimoya said:
Apropos the 'cocolo' thread - is this Dominican version of cricket a result of 'cocolo' influence? We have a photo of some boys playing 'placa' in Samana, where many people have English surnames, but are said to be descended from north American slaves, who AFAIK wouldn't have played cricket.
The Cocolos and Samanenses come from entirely different migrations. No relation between them.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
200 Mph grounders?

Drake said:
Firstly Baseball is a descendant of Cricket. Cricket having evolved over centuries....
Yeah, we fixed your sport for you. We got it right.

Drake said:
In the US they talk of the Baseball "World Series" when teams within the US only participate. It should be called the "US Series".
Line your asses up. We'll go alphabetically and kick everyone's, from Australia to Zimbabwe.

Drake said:
Who says Cricket is boring!
Probably anyone who watches paint dry for fun.

Drake said:
A bowled cricket ball travels twice as fast as a pitched baseball.
That would be an average of 180 mph.

I gotta see that. ;)

Guatiao

El Leon de los Cacicazgos
Mar 27, 2004
To Soccer Fans & Players

This is a quote from Carmelo Anthony from the Denver Nuggets.

Question: I want to play a sport, but I suck at everything I?ve tried. What?s a good one for someone with no athletic ability?
?Anonymous, Thibodaux, LA

His Reply: Soccer! Soccer ain?t hard. All you gotta do is kick the ball. You don?t need any athletic ability to kick a ball. Or try bowling. Or pool.

- From Maxim Magazine, May 2005

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Jolly old cricket games after tea and crumpets

JayUKcomingtoDR said:
So my question is, how come cricket isnt a major sport in your country, seeing that you are in the carribean? Is soccer played anywhere? Has anyone tried to teach or intergrate these sports into society?
I know the reasons why baseball is big. But how would i go about getting into it. I'll try anything. Its only a poorer version of cricket anyway, and im good at that ! Are there leagues and teams that i could sign up for?
Do you have professional sports? Do they get well paid? What sports are taught in schools?

Help me out folksJay
In the Mirador del Sur on Sundays I used to see cricket played regularly. I want to say that the group was mostly Hindu, but I can't be entirely sure. I watched from the roadway until I fell asleep from boredom ;). I have little doubt they'd be happy to have another interested party join in.

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Cleef said:
Yeah, we fixed your sport for you. We got it right.

And no-one else really plays the game yet... So, you must be the only ones marching to your own drummer out there.. ;)

Cleef said:
Line your asses up. We'll go alphabetically and kick everyone's, from Australia to Zimbabwe.

Against fast cricket bowlers, I think I'll start the bookmaking as to who will win the lineup.

Cleef said:
Probably anyone who watches paint dry for fun.

Or whoever cannot understand a strategic game

Cleef said:
That would be an average of 180 mph.

I gotta see that. ;)

So, go and see it. In cricket the average bowling speed of a fast bowler is 140 to 150 km/h. Check it out http://orca.rsmas.miami.edu/~majumdar/cricket/cricket4.html
(actually a tad slower than baseball I think - but I don't know anything about baseball, excepting that it is too boring for words)

Anyway, no DR content whatsoever. :classic: Just before they delete this post, cricket is a thing of beauty if you have the ability to concentrate long enough to figure out what is happening... (And I've been reliably informed that the crumpets are quite delectable too!)

BigCity27

Mar 4, 2004
Robert said:
How can a baseball team be considered world champions when they only play American/Canadian teams in the world series?
Because the best players in the World come to play (and get paid) in the MLB. The best baseball league in the world, without argument, is MLB, unlike soccer where there is some dispute as to which country has the best league (I'd say the EPL has the best talent, others may say La Liga or Serie A.)

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Before this thread get's closed, I'd just like to point out that many more people on this planet play Cricket (world's oldest team game) than Baseball, just like many more people play Rugby than American football. And to top it off... more people play football (soccer) than all 4 games combined. I have nothing against American football or Baseball, but I do have a problem with the mindset of some people towards these "created for TV" sports.

Emmm... I guess us Brits have to share some of the blame, I mean baseball evolved from rounders, a game kids play in school before they progress to cricket.

So what can we conclude from some of the above posts?

That parts of this thread are just another example of the insular attitude that some Americans suffer. That no matter how hard they bleat, the World Series on a "world sports" stage is about as important as the hot dog eating contest held each year in Conney Island.

The only teams that are allowed to compete in the "World Series" are from N.America. Unlike the football world cup that gives every country on the planet the chance to make it to the finals. This is why it's called the "World Cup".

Shouldn't the "World Series" be called the "North American Series"?
Oh, I forgot, you allow players from other countries, that's why you call it the "World Series". Just as well, as most of the decent, popular and "bring in the money" players come from overseas.
It reminds me of how ridiculous it would be if a competition between England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland was called the "World Cup".
Saying that, it's twice as many countries competing than the "World Series", hahahaha.

Oh, by the way, please don't ever compare MLB to the football leagues in Europe or any other part of this planet. It's doesn't even come close to Europe in terms of players, teams, countries participating, money involved, history , viewing figures, popularity etc.

Some of you need to go to Borders and buy a map. I noticed a few about when I lived in New York and Miami. Then some of you might have less of a problem looking at "some" things from a global perspective.

Lock and load baby...

Status
Not open for further replies.