You?ll know if the DR is for you in 3 months not 6

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I think that as we were embarking on, not only on a new life in a different country but also a new life as a couple, possibly like Ginnie and Grahame a number of years ago it makes both of us focused and motivated to succeed.

The 'pulling together as a team' is very important for those moving as a couple. I've seen a lot of people give up trying and leave the DR not because they were intrinsically unhappy with the country but because both members of the pair either were not equally committed to staying and over time that translated into relationship problems between them or because there were fundamental relationship problems to start with. If your marriage/relationship is not firmly tethered to start with, the DR would not be the country of choice, I feel................

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Robert

Great thread, please don't destroy it with the sankie BS. Any more and that poster will be locked out of this forum. Yeah, even I get a little sick of it.

Maybe Zak will eventually reply and let us know if he's staying or going.
He made a bold move by building a house west of Barahona and moving lock stock and barrel here. Knowing what he's like, I'm sure he's having fun with the locals, maybe even buried a few by now ;)

Well first of all my wife got TB here and went back to the USA..Nobody lives here but the strongest and craziest...The locals accept me here as one of their own..Party every night..I walk in the barrios with no FEAR and hang out till late partying with the worst Tigres you can imagine..There is no Law here as you know..So it?s a free for all..Something the others who come here for a day trip will never understand...And yes I am thinking about comming back soon as I get bored or run outta ammo..Which ever comes first...

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
.. send me a Bohemia please............

An Italian I know called the country "una escuela para vivir", another guy I know called it "a place where anything can happen and it usually does". Surviving in the DR is the ultimate exam, if you can live in the DR you can live anywhere in the world, but you don't want to anymore because this is The Place To Be.

Last edited:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Surviving in the DR is the ultimate exam, if you can live in the DR you can live anywhere in the world, but you don't want to anymore because this is The Place To Be.
And it'll either corrupt you or make you a better person, take your pick.

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
..finally my post no. 100...

WTF! Either you are w/ god or with the devil,...make up your mind.
Was that to Rocky or me? I mind up my mind when I hacked into the Dominican lifestyle years ago no problems here. I just don't post on DR1 everyday.

Last edited:

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
Was that to Rocky or me? I mind up my mind when I hacked into the Dominican lifestyle years ago no problems here.

That message was in general, to any expat out there that is here, pasando las de cain y que de lo que se viven es quejandose...Si tan pasando tanto trabajo porque no se van, no hay ni un dia en que uno no oiga tanta negativas en este website...ya sabemos que A ESTE POBRE PUEBLO SE LO ESTA LLEVANDO EL MISMO DIABLO, pa' que pasar lucha en un sitio asi? Yo he llegado a pensar que son una barsa de masoquistas empedernidos.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I came here to the DR for my wife who is Mocan and in order that our family could be more stable. Where I live is no war zone and my neighbors are nice. I don't hang out with Tigueres nor chase chicas in the middle of the night so I can't tell anyone how that is. Our oldest daughter goes to a good bilingual school and her and her sister are as happy as a bump on a log.

I have complaints of course about the politicians here, but then again I have complaints about my home country too. I can't tell anybody how the life is in the AI areas but here in Santiago it is good. We got everything you need and if you lack something there is always Amazon.com.

Also, I would have to classify my Spanish as fairly advanced for a gringo, so I have already two good friends and many, many acquaintances. And too, I have income from the US so I don't have to struggle in the economy here.

IMHO, if you aren't fluent in Spanish and live in a tourist area I feel thare is less chance for an expat to "make it" here as I feel they may always be seen as an outsider. I'm sure some will disagree but I am talking in generalities.

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
..nothing negative here..

Should read.. "I made up my mind when I hacked into the Dominican lifestyle years ago no problems here".

My post wasn't negative, I have no problems here.

Think it's time to bail out of this thread.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
An Italian I know called the country "una escuela para vivir", another guy I know called it "a place where anything can happen and it usually does". Surviving in the DR is the ultimate exam, if you can live in the DR you can live anywhere in the world, but you don't want to anymore because this is The Place To Be.

And the Dominicans call it ''El pais de las maravillas''

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

Let's see if we can stop you bailing out..........:) . I agree with much of what you say and for sure I wouldn't choose to live anywhere else either but.........I have to disagree with the bit I've emboldened. I think that compared with a number of places the DR ranks as one of the easier places to live. Maybe not so much the part where zak lives (sorry to hear about your wife & the TB by the way), but in general I'd say it is far easier to live here than say Lagos, Nigeria, for example.

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
If I may let me give you the perspective of a DominicnaYork. I left Snatiago when i was 7. was raise in the Bronx. lived in Buffalo durring my college years . spend some time in NH, then i moved to Phoenix. While in the deset I discover that my constnat moving was due to me needing a plce to call home a plce where I cna feel that I belong. So with out giving it to much thought I ask Karina if she trust me and if she will go with me to the end of the world and We sold our 6k sq foot home in AZ and cmae to my native Santiago.
Before i relocated I was introduce to DR1. I was so move by so many expt that live here that it just gave me more stregnht to relocate. We got here with some savings and a US income.....well that lasted like 3 motnhs.
We already own a home since my family was fro mSantiago so we did not have to strugle with should we buy or not. Now this being siad around 6 month after getting here it meet MRmike. which to daye has been the only poster I have actually meet. Mike help me out and I hope everyone that comes to DR gets to me someone that cna help you out. Time is a funny thing. El tictac del reloj pasa como los anos.........................
After 1.5 karina does not wnat to relocate anywhere and we are strugeling midle class just like we where in the USA. we are not missing the luxuries of Scottsdale lifestyle but insted I have a small business that I get to contribute to 30 familes nad get to actully live...............
So as for the OP this country is not for every one. Snatiago is not for everyone nor Northcoast. Before anyone migrates you need to know the reason why your migrating. My parent left for political reason durring los anos de Balaguer. I cmae back beacuse I left my heart in el Rio Yaque. So for me 1 day 6 motnh 2 years......no importa. Today is a ne day and I open my doors to any new comer like Mike did for me.
I guess the Op just did not really get to experience what Chip, HB,AZB, Mike and myslef do on a dayly basis.
New rule...........please when considering spendign more that just a vacation in this country please travel to places in the island where your previous lifestyle can be acomodates . iam sure we can set up in a 10usmillion dollar house our a 2000RD pesos al mes rental. En el pais de la maravilla todo se puede......Ven te esperamos.
Albin

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Let's see if we can stop you bailing out..........:) . I agree with much of what you say and for sure I wouldn't choose to live anywhere else either but.........I have to disagree with the bit I've emboldened. I think that compared with a number of places the DR ranks as one of the easier places to live. Maybe not so much the part where zak lives (sorry to hear about your wife & the TB by the way), but in general I'd say it is far easier to live here than say Lagos, Nigeria, for example.

Okay so I?m not bailing out yet, just got to be careful so I don?t get banned you know. It wasn't meant in a negative way, just my crazy sense of humor kicked in. I?m well aware of the infamous Nigerian scam and kidnappings, and I'm sure someone will say just go to Colombia and take a look. I'm going to read your book one day I promise.

Hasta luego.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I have to disagree with the bit I've emboldened. I think that compared with a number of places the DR ranks as one of the easier places to live.
Unquestionably there are places that are harder to live in.
The Antarctic, Iraq, Haiti, etc.
I believe that the OP of this quote meant something else.

Originally Posted by tht
Surviving in the DR is the ultimate exam, if you can live in the DR you can live anywhere in the world, but you don't want to anymore because this is The Place To Be.

There is a certain presumption that we are here by choice.
Most folks would not choose to live the above mentioned locations.
Why would they?

The DR IS a type of test of our moral fiber, resourcefulness, resilience, ethics, endurance, patience, tolerance, generosity and more.
This place can make or break you.
This is where you find out what you're truly made of.
This DR gives you an opportunity to shine like a brilliant star and to be who you want to be.

It is, as mentioned, "the ultimate exam", of your heart & soul.

Graduation-Skateboarder-Card.jpg

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The DR is easy if:

1. Have stable income.

2. Have "support" system - either group of expats that you speak your language or speak the local language fluently and have group of famil/friends/neighbors.

3. Live in safe area where you aren't a target - this may disquailfy a lot of touristy areas and don't do things or dress to make yourself "stand out". Heck, I might get sick of this place too if all Dominicans just saw me as if I was a bank always ready to buy something.

4. Don't sweat the small stuff you can't control: potholes, power outages, corruption. Instead be prepared - get a jipeta, good inverter, large cistern, mosquito screens and lots of presidente(para poder aguantar los politicos)

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
The DR is easy if:

1. Have stable income.

2. Have "support" system - either group of expats that you speak your language or speak the local language fluently and have group of famil/friends/neighbors.

3. Live in safe area where you aren't a target - this may disquailfy a lot of touristy areas and don't do things or dress to make yourself "stand out". Heck, I might get sick of this place too if all Dominicans just saw me as if I was a bank always ready to buy something.

4. Don't sweat the small stuff you can't control: potholes, power outages, corruption. Instead be prepared - get a jipeta, good inverter, large cistern, mosquito screens and lots of presidente(para poder aguantar los politicos)

You are so right. I will only add to number 4: lots of presidente tambien para la hidratacion. Tomar la peque?a p es mejor que tomar agua digo yo.

gibbs

May 31, 2005
The DR is easy if:

1. Have stable income.

It also helps to have the "right" motivation or purpose for being here. The word "right" has many definitions, but if you have evaluated well your motivations for being here and remind yourself from time to time what that is... puedes pasar por alto las cosas pequenas que te moleste.

Guachupita

Dec 28, 2006
A woman who has been a missionary in the DR for over 20 years gave me the best advice:

Make no comparisons with other places you've lived in.
Keep your sense of humor.
Take the good and leave the bad.