Your #1 tip for a newcomer?

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
The more you divorce yourself from the "Back home, it used to be..." thoughts, the easier and more enjoyable your immersion will be.

You aren't back home, things are different...very different...from the cozy, well-run, orderly bureaucracy of the First World.

Embrace the change...

If you move to the DR you won't be in Grande Prarie, Midland, Hamilton or Parry Sound.

To prepare yourself for how different things can be read two books by Lewis Carroll:

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Through the Looking Glass

:laugh:

Reactions: rice&beans

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Become a voracious reader of DR1, the news and any other source of info you can find.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Accept the definition of manana is whenever and everything will fall into place for a stressless life.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
ive never come across this mythical ma?ana ,mind you im not in business....people tend to show up early for me, apart from estate agents and they arent Dominican

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
Ensure that you have a secure and secret place for your valuables. It's a great country, and you should love it as long as you aren't foolish enough to make yourself a target.

gerryb

Aug 26, 2010
Driving in the DR

When you first get here you are the most dangerous thing on the road. Drivers are super agressive and you won't be. Traffic lights, stop signs and normal rules of the road are not observed here especially by motorcycles. Turning left is extremely dangerous. Just because you are stopped with your turn signal on doesn't mean anything. Someone will pass the line of cars stopped behind you and run right over the top of you when you turn. That happened to a friend of mine; killed instantly by a dump truck. Always keep your eye on the rear view mirror turning left!

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
disagree slightly that drivers are super aggressive, some just havent been taught by our standards....so they dont follow the rules that we do

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
You (OP) haven't told us yet how well you KNOW the DR. So, I'll just repeat what I have been repeating for years now:
The DR is not just an island with beautiful shores - It is a country. And what goes on or not here, will affect your every day life, positively and adversely.

I am a strong believer in learning the language, and well. You might not need a lot of Spanish on the beach or while gazing at the coral reefs under water, but you WILL need it for most every thing else in LIVE once you plan to be more than just tourist.

Get to know the COUNTRY... the whole country, BEFORE you settle.
RENT, rent, rent and try to commit as LITTLE money to this country for as long as possible. Buying is real easy, but selling is a bitch here!
If you came here for the "laid back"-life style... well, you might be in for some surprises... but the best way to remain laid back is to have as little exposure as possible (yes, I am still talking money here)... so never suggest yourself under the pressure to buy... palm trees and beach sand are the one thing which don't seem likely to run out just yet. Everything is for sale... or rent... so, take it as cool as the fish you love to look at.

... J-D.

Reactions: Africaida

Janny

Aug 25, 2010
"You aren't back home, things are different...very different...from the cozy, well-run, orderly bureaucracy of the First World. "

Clearly you haven't lived in the US for a while, not so 'cozy, well-run and orderly' as in the past, my sense is that things are really starting to unravel. Long lines everywhere as all businesses lay off more and more people......

Thank you, J-D for your detailed information. Here's a brief response: we have researched the country extensively, and are attracted to the differences in culture and lifestyle and the sense of family and community. We're very intrigued with the 'middle part' as well as the pretty bits around the edges, where the fishies are.

We're very experienced at being tourists at beautiful beach destinations world-wide, but are looking to, as you say, LIVE there. So all of the advice is very appreciated.

This has been a great place to post my questions so far and I'm loving the answers. In summary, to date, y'all recommend:

* Learn to speak Spanish
* Rent, rent, rent before you buy
* Develop patience
* Appreciate the culture, and don't whine about 'back home'
* Drive defensively
* Protect your valuables, and don't be 'flashy' (no NJ Housewife-ishness)
* Read Lewis Caroll
* Tomorrow is another day - which will never come.
* Don't invest in imaginary real estate
* Be wary of advice handed out by grumpy expats.
* There ARE lots of horses in the DR

A great start! I'm loving hearing from you all, thanks!

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
forget the beach! i lived in florida for 20 years, everyone from up north who moves to florida demands "beachfront" and after they've lived there for 6 months are bored with the beach. in fact, go to any high rise condo/ apt building in florida, nobody is even using the pool...................

May 29, 2006
forget the beach! i lived in florida for 20 years, everyone from up north who moves to florida demands "beachfront" and after they've lived there for 6 months are bored with the beach. in fact, go to any high rise condo/ apt building in florida, nobody is even using the pool...................

Or if they do go to the beach, they end up going to one that is a 20-30 minute drive away from where they live.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am truly happy that you are thinking about "the middle part" as you put it.

I have always said that Santiago-Moca-La Vega is a great area. Climate-wise it is cooler than the East, South or North Coast. It is pretty much immune to major weather events such as hurricanes, although we enjoy the rains, but not the flooding! But we don't live near any rivers that can reach us!

Also, we are like 40 minutes from pine forests and cool mountains (with horses), and a bit over an hour from beaches.

A major plus is health care facilities. Santiago is far superior to anything on any coast (except Santo Domingo itself). Moca and La Vega are just minutes away.

Things to do. If life were just about swimming and snorkling, then the beach would be nice. But if you want to go out and eat, quietly, or if you want to go to a concert or see rare videos or the new items at the museum...only Santiago can provide that. (And I am NOT saying you cant eat really good on the North Coast! You can! It's the setting I am referring to.)

Jarabacoa, for example is a beautiful place to ride and live with a mild climate all year long. Santiago has some of the most elegant stables around...only Santo Domingo and La Romana are better in some ways...

Look, this place is the size of West Virginia! It is large. You do not feel you are on an island all the time....You can drive for hours and not get to the ocean..So variety is part of the enchantment.

I would love to be in your shoes with this ahead of you....Like Balboa gazing at the Pacific for the first time....

Cordially,

HB

Mar 2, 2008
Develop a sense of humor, and then learn to appreciate and enjoy all those things that are free and readily available.

One doesn't have to go to the beach to appreciate the ocean. It is calming and relaxing just by seeing it, hearing it, smelling it and feeling its breeze. The same can also be said of the mountains and higher elevations.

It's a grand island.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:
We are American and own a condo in Las Terrenas on the northeast coast, Samana Penninsula. If you really love the beach Las Terrenas is the right place for you. You have a choice of about 8 beaches all within a 5 to 30 min. drive. This area has the largest concentration of Coconut Palms in the world. There is also a large choice of housing from apartments to multi room homes. In addition to Spanish, French is spoken widely in Las Terrenas and there is a heavy European influence. If you fly into Las Americas in Santo Domingo it is about 2-2.5 hrs. to Las Terrenas. When they finish the additional spur to the road it will knock off another 1/2 hour off the trip. You should check out Las Terrenas.

LTS