Zona Francas: Legal Status and Liability

Englishman

Nov 5, 2003
Hi everybody,

I'm writing from Europe and I need an help from you guys.
I got in touch with CEI-RD trough e-mail, asking info about a subcontractor in the textile business, how to find it, get in touch, etc.
All went trough very fast and easy, as far as last week when I asked what kind of guarantee I have when I got into a contract with my supplier and eventually I have to take him to Court.
I asked that because I know that those companies have a special treatment.
Furthermore I asked if there is, like in Europe, a Chamber of Commerce where I can get info about the company (shareholders, board of directors, balance sheets, assets, etc)
to have a better idea about the company I'm dealing with.
Thanks for your help

Englishman

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
You can check a company's or an individual's credit through a Dominican credit bureau - One company doing this is CICLA (Centro de Informacion Crediticia de Las Americas ) and the number I have in the phone book is (809) 227-1888 or fax (809) 549-7227 . Someone else here can better explain how they operate and how you can get information from them, and the cost, etc. but they are where most folks go to check a company's creditworthiness in the DR.

If you need to go to court here in the DR, ( and your company is not registered or chartered in the DR, and you do not have an R.N.C. number,) you will probably have to post a substantial bond in order to take them to court for a judgement. Fabio Guzman in the "Legal" section here is a better source of information for this.

Suerte.

Englishman

Nov 5, 2003
Many thanks for the info. I'll check those sources and I'll let you know the results of my research.
Thanks,

Englishman:cool: