Trujillo's Grandson Seeks To Set Record Straight About El Jefe

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
And let's not forget the Mirabal sisters.............
Patria, Minerva, and Maria Teresa............
I had the pleasure of meeting and talking with the one surviving sister, Dede......
A beautiful lady...........
She will never forget........

B in Santiago

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
Why were the wealthy people the targets? Simple answer - they had the land and money Trujillo wanted.
Mr. AE was born on that finca in 1948. That tough old man and his widow were his grandparents.

First, I don't know that Trujillo targeted wealthy people, simply because they were wealthy....Trujillo, like any DICTATOR did not want to be overthrown, and anyone who tried it, or participated in any activity that could be interpreted as aimed at some type of regime change, obviously ran a high risk of suffering severe consequences, wealthy or not, as in ANY dictatorial regime...that is exactly WHY they are called dictators.

About the finca, I am sorry to say that the story has problems...La feria was NOT a Trujillo family thing, but a state affair...It was like hosting the Pan American Games, or building a road or a dam...If the Dominican state wants land for state's purpose, even today under an elected regime, the head of state has every right to declare the land of "utilidad publica" (public use land) and take over it...All the state needs to do is to compensate the owners fairly...The point is that Trujillo (even if he had been a president under the purest representative regime) had NO NEED to resort to intimidation or any other "trick" to get the land to be used for La Feria (some kind of world expo)....

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Very few people are even willing to mention why Trujillo got rid of their family member and why so few families went through such punishment, considering that almost everyone was tied to Trujillo in one way or another, and why did most victims belong to well-to-do families.

First, I don't know that Trujillo targeted wealthy people, simply because they were wealthy....Trujillo, like any DICTATOR did not want to be overthrown, and anyone who tried it, or participated in any activity that could be interpreted as aimed at some type of regime change, obviously ran a high risk of suffering severe consequences, wealthy or not, as in ANY dictatorial regime...that is exactly WHY they are called dictators.

About the finca, I am sorry to say that the story has problems...La feria was NOT a Trujillo family thing, but a state affair...It was like hosting the Pan American Games, or building a road or a dam...If the Dominican state wants land for state's purpose, even today under an elected regime, the head of state has every right to declare the land of "utilidad publica" (public use land) and take over it...All the state needs to do is to compensate the owners fairly...The point is that Trujillo (even if he had been a president under the purest representative regime) had NO NEED to resort to intimidation or any other "trick" to get the land to be used for La Feria (some kind of world expo)....

I was giving my own personal opinion/answer to NALS question about why well-to-do families were targeted.

I did not say that the Trujillo family took the finca, it was Trujillo's government. Compensate the owners fairly? Don't make me laugh. Were you there? Do you know the circumstances? A resounding NO. But that never stops you from trying to sound like you have the inside track on EVERYTHING Dominican.

Your posts only serve to encourage people to dislike Dominicans - and you.

Try toning it down a bit and you might actually accomplish something here.

There are many of us DR1ers who actually appreciate Dominicans.

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
I did not say that the Trujillo family took the finca, it was Trujillo's government. Compensate the owners fairly? Don't make me laugh. Were you there? Do you know the circumstances? A resounding NO. But that never stops you from trying to sound like you have the inside track on EVERYTHING Dominican.
Where did I say that the Trujillo government did in fact compensate the family fairly?
Show me where I did.

What I said was that the state was fully entitled to take over any land declared "de utilidad publica", and its obligation was to compensate the owners fairly.

You apparently assumed, incorrectly, that I meant the state had in fact compensated the specific family, your in-laws. fairly, in that specific transaction. I did not say that. I have no idea how they were compensated, and NEVER said or implied I knew.

My point was simply that Trujillo had no need to resort to dirty tricks or intimidation for his government to legally take over that land in order to put La Feria (an international expo) there. He wouldn't have had, even if he had not been a dictator.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
I love it. Trujillo took from the rich? Let's just take that fake hero Antonio de la Maza, how did he become the lumber baron in Restauraci?n? His only motive was revenge. He was in the top most priviledged, so was coward Pupo Roman, the 30 de Mayo double agent who was dealt with by Ramfis, properly avenging his father's assasination the same way De La Maza avenged his brother, the same way ajustes de cuentas are handled today.
My father owned a beautiful ranch style house in now improperly named Amado Garcia Guerrero(another traitor) I'm entitled to repudiate him(99.9%) in Barrio Mejoramiento Social, a low middle class area at the time. Trujillo wanted to build Duarte Bridge. The west end of the bridge landed right by that house. Trujillo sent his people to declare the lands "utilidad publica". He had the same rights Leonel had to use that law.
What did Trujillo do? He took my father's house to demolish, gave my dad 1000mtrs.in a plot he later called Sarasota Avenue, gave my dad a payment for demolishing the house, and we became the proud owners of one of the most expensive pieces of property in DR(Avenida Sarasota #25)
Just to give you an idea of the value Trujillo returned to us, this is the lot next to Mcdonalds on Sarasota Avenue where a multimillion project is being built. Who turned out to be our neighbors? Multimillionaire "hero" Antonio Imbert Barreras, General Valdez Hilario, general Belisario Peguero, PN, general Nin, PN, general Despradel, Imgard Despradel's dad.
Trujillo called that "permutas". He would exchange land he needed and gave you something better, and on top, he build sewers, sidewalk, lighting and pavement to beat.
That's history trying to be erased!
That's the birth of Sarasota Avenue. We Founded what is today one of the most beautiful and valuable roads in DR. Trujilo expanded the avenue beyond the polo grounds by Embajador Hotel. Balaguer continued the project which now includes parks that envy nothing from Central Park.
Fact: Leonel has been given credit for overpasses and the Metro. But Trujillo was the master planner of Santo Domingo.
Today, after 50 years his creations like Churchill Ave., Lincoln Ave., Sarasota Ave., Maximo Gomez, Pedro Henriquez Ure?a, Gazcue, NACO, Malec?n, remain the cream of the crop. Leonel in 12 years hasn't build 10% of what Trujillo built in 30. At best all these governments do is rehash over Trujillo's projects. La Feria is but one example.
All we ask is not to erase the history of our nation due to hatred by a minority of people holding a grudge over 50 years, just to gain notoriety and priviledges the rest of the population don't get.
How much must we pay the Mirabals for their misery?

Mariot

Oct 13, 2009

you need to do some more reading. there are a large number of books on trujillo and a lot of the newer ones are fairly balanced in my opinion. trujillos dictatorship did serve a purpose if looked at from a historical perspective. he modernized the country and established the power of the central state. however, he was a corrupt magalomaniac who after years in power, lost touch with reality. he ruined the states finances in the 1950's and that is what led to the collapse of his regime. he might not have gotten shot if he hadn't made it a habit to belittle and humiliate the dominican upperclass and those serving him, but his regime was finished after 1955. much of this had to do with la feria, which did not serve a state purpose, but was only meant to celebrate trujillos rule. the ridiculous amounts of money he spent on it could never be recovered and ruined one of his greates achievements, which was making the dr financially stable. the cruelties of his rule took place mostly in the beginning, when he needed to stabilize his power and get rid of opponents, and during the 1950's, when he lost his grip on the country and tried to secure it with state terrorism. finally, all of those who bemoan times of more respect and security under trujillo's rule might want to take a look a haiti in order to get an idea of what happens to a country that doesn't manage to get rid of it's opressor when it is time to do so.

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
you need to do some more reading. there are a large number of books on trujillo and a lot of the newer ones are fairly balanced in my opinion. trujillos dictatorship did serve a purpose if looked at from a historical perspective. he modernized the country and established the power of the central state. however, he was a corrupt magalomaniac who after years in power, lost touch with reality.
And you of course are the ultimate authority on the Trujillo regime...your account is totally balanced, right?
You make damning statements one after another as undisputed truths, and don't make the slightest attempt to provide any support...The mere fact you make those statement is sufficient prove they represent the most absolute of truths...Evidently, you must be a real authority...

Mariot

Oct 13, 2009
And you of course are the ultimate authority on the Trujillo regime...your account is totally balanced, right?
You make damning statements one after another as undisputed truths, and don't make the slightest attempt to provide any support...The mere fact you make those statement is sufficient prove they represent the most absolute of truths...Evidently, you must be a real authority...

where is the difference to what you do? i'm not an authority, i studied the topic, read every book and source i could get my hands on formed an opinion. i stated this opinion, which i clearly indicated by saying "in my opinion". unlike you, i don't have an axe to grind, so i think my account is pretty balanced. where are these damning statements i make? you claim to care about the "truth" which should include the "good things" that trujillos rule achieved, yet you can't stand any mention of the negative aspects of his regime. you don't care about the truth, you have an agenda, so why not come out and say it, instead of hiding behind a truth that you don't want to hear?

Dec 26, 2011

Gain credibility.

Dispute Mariot's points. No temper tantrums. Just clear things up for us. Throw some "truth" our way.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I agree that we should praise Trujillo for the good things he did, just like we should praise Adolf Hitler for the good things he did for Germany, for example the excellent highways there are a legacy of Hitler. People keep complaining about the 6 million Jews he killed but they keep forgetting the good things he has done...:sleep:

Dec 26, 2011
I agree that we should praise Trujillo for the good things he did, just like we should praise Adolf Hitler for the good things he did for Germany, for example the excellent highways there are a legacy of Hitler. People keep complaining about the 6 million Jews he killed but they keep forgetting the good things he has done...:sleep:

Hussein ran a pretty tight ship too. And hey, how about that Pinochet.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012

Shades of AZB.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR

What kind of a frickin moron are you..............
What good did this man do to make him look good...............
MURDERED a lot more than 6 million PEOPLE and you want to talk about the good things he did..............
Please tell me all the good things Adolph Hitler did for this world............I gotta hear this...........
He also murdered over 6 million Russians..............and there's a lot more
Hitler built good highways.....for his troops and tanks......read a book idiot.....

B in Santiago

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
What kind of a frickin moron are you..............
What good did this man do to make him look good...............
MURDERED a lot more than 6 million PEOPLE and you want to talk about the good things he did..............
Please tell me all the good things Adolph Hitler did for this world............I gotta hear this...........

B in Santiago

I didn't find any irony icon

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
It's completely senseless not to say outrageous to try to justify Trujillo's iron fist rule by pointing out what he did good or what where the good results of his rule. To say, as a middle class family, that you could sleep with your door open is like saying I'm a good dad if my children behave spotless because I beat them with a stick if they don't.

I would like to hear about the lower classes of the society in Trujillo's times how they felt during his rule.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Mauricio, I really thought you were being serious...............
If I misinterpreted what you stated, I apologize.........seriously, not being sarcastic....
I was never good at understanding sarcasm.............

B in Santiago

Dec 26, 2011
Mauricio, I really thought you were being serious...............
If I misinterpreted what you stated, I apologize.........seriously, not being sarcastic....
I was never good at understanding sarcasm.............

B in Santiago

It can be difficult in this medium of communication.