Black in Latin America- Ep. 1- Haiti & the Dominican Republic- An Island Divided

Status
Not open for further replies.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
The opposite is true. Immigration restrictions have been eased and many more Dominicans are getting visas for even up to 10 years. This is a response to a study the US Embassy did and discovered that the fraud rate that was expected for Dominicans was exaggerated. Also, Dominican emigration to the US has been falling steady for quite a few years.

LINKS? STATS?

i get so tired of the he said he said

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I've read the history Africaida, Black historians themselves have admitted that West Africans helped the Europeans build the same forts that were later used to enslave them.
This is true. Even Dr. Gates confirmed this and also all the lies that African Americans tell themselves in order to justify the resentment and hatred many of them have towards whites (he didn't put it in those exact words, but that's basically what he said). Here, have a look and lend your ears:

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ELaZpZovbkM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Plenty of myths exist within the African American community that simply keeps the resentments alive. This is why so many of them feel uncomfortable referring to themselves as just Americans, although many also have no problems with that.

Its precisely those myths that causes many mixed race Americans to adopt a false monoracial identity. By extension, those myths and the omissions can also explain the attacks against Dominicans that comes from certain groups.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
thanks so much for posting this clip Nals.

what a breath of fresh air

we are all recovering racists! awesome quote

we could do a great tour here on this island walking the slave trade back to Africa since they arrived here first. Sorta a roots redux of the opening of the last link of the chain.

certainly take us more than a semester to learn the different variations of black that the French had names for in Haiti

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
the legend on that side is that when the ARAWAKS saw the first French slave ships come in, they went to the high cliff called Sauters and threw themselves into the sea rather than face slavery.

The French slave ships lost one third of their passenget cargo..

from here.. half the group could go to Haiti.. or Africa or Rio.. and another up north to the Martin Luither King Trail.. and visit the 24 historic black colleges. Great project for Wyclef and Juan Luis

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I don't know about keeping the race pure and all that jazz and how that is supposed to make you more powerful than a country of mixed races...I do know though that the country with the most races represented in this world is still the most powerful country in the world...Yes THE US that is...and it is so because of the contributions of many of those people of different races and cultures that came to live here.

Today we have people in The US originating anywhere from Afghanistan to Zimbabwe contributing if even a little to this great melting pot of a country...and that's why The US can still kick any other country's @$$ on pretty much anything. While other more closed countries will go on decline (i.e. Japan with its aging population or many countries in Europe with negative population rates) The US will continue to remain "young and strong" as it continually renews itself with new batches of people emigrating from different parts of the world...so long live mixology!!!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I don't know about keeping the race pure and all that jazz and how that is supposed to make you more powerful than a country of mixed races...I do know though that the country with the most races represented in this world is still the most powerful country in the world...Yes THE US that is...and it is so because of the contributions of many of those people of different races and cultures that came to live here.

Today we have people in The US originating anywhere from Afghanistan to Zimbabwe contributing if even a little to this great melting pot of a country...and that's why The US can still kick any other country's @$$ on pretty much anything. While other more closed countries will go on decline (i.e. Japan with its aging population or many countries in Europe with negative population rates) The US will continue to remain "young and strong" as it continually renews itself with new batches of people emigrating from different parts of the world...so long live mixology!!!
Reminds me of this Venezuelan song:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_7e1Pq4Y6lw?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Especially the part that says:

A todo negro presente yo le voy aconsejar:
?Yo le voy a aconsejar!
Que combine los colores que la raza es natural.
?Que la raza es natural!
Que un negro con una negra es como noche sin luna,
?Es como noche sin luna!
Y un blanco con una blanca es como leche y espuma.
?Es como leche y espuma!
Todo negro pelo recio con rubia se ha de casar.
?Con rubia se ha de casar!
Para que vengan los hijos con plumas de pavo real.

And no, I'm not a fan el 'El Puma.' The only reason I became aware of this song was because it came up in a discussion a few months ago.

I posted this knowing very well the risks regarding reigniting the debate. I hope it doesn't.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
Its incredible how a thread based on a video filled with misleading information about the DR, is also revealing all sorts of other misinformation that has been spread about Dominicans.

A former poster from this forum, DOMINICANUSA, was very right when he said that we Dominicans are our own worse enemies, since instead of being occupied with countering each and every single one of these lies, all the people here are concerned with is with being laid back and allowing them to run their course, or worse, being occupied in useless politiquer?a, or as Alvaro Arvelo would say, in PRD, PRD, PRD, Hip?lito, Hip?lito, Hip?lito or PLD, PLD, PLD, Danilo, Danilo, Danilo. The farthest we have ever gone is to take up actively "causas c?lebres", like 4%, the protection of the lands of the Haitises park, or the Barrick Gold/Pueblo Viejo (which I doubt will end as people would want, given the power of the interests at hand), but not much more after that. In other words, this is the land of the "n? e' n?".

Dec 26, 2011
A former poster from this forum, DOMINICANUSA, was very right when he said that we Dominicans are our own worse enemies, since instead of being occupied with countering each and every single one of these lies, all the people here are concerned with is with being laid back and allowing them to run their course, or worse, being occupied in useless politiquer?a, or as Alvaro Arvelo would say, in PRD, PRD, PRD, Hip?lito, Hip?lito, Hip?lito or PLD, PLD, PLD, Danilo, Danilo, Danilo. The farthest we have ever gone is to take up actively "causas c?lebres", like 4%, the protection of the lands of the Haitises park, or the Barrick Gold/Pueblo Viejo (which I doubt will end as people would want, given the power of the interests at hand), but not much more after that. In other words, this is the land of the "n? e' n?".

I always find what you and NALs post to be educational.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I once attended a lecture at Harvard by Doctor Alvin Pousant.
He is an "AA", Harvard Prof.,and was an adviser to the "Bill Cosby Show" years ago.
He went through the names for the different classifications for being label "Black" in the USA, many my state statutes.
He finally got to "Blacks" with only 1/32 of Black "Blood" but still being classified as "BLACK"!
He then asked us if we knew what that meant???
He said, "It MEANS, that "Black Blood", is VERY, VERY POWERFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Listen to each other, but NOT think we know each others life experiences, and how each of us is affected by those experiences.
To my Black fellow DR1ers, we Whites are not looking at you,at least most of us,and "Thinking", ANYTHING!
To my White Dr1ers, all those young Black men, are NOT going to mug you!
We all "KNOW", what each other are thinking???
"NOT!"
I may be more "Racist" than anyone here!
A "Racist", like a person who is now sober is an "Alcoholic" but hasn't had a drink in 40 years.
We can't change what we "WERE", only who we ARE!
I grew up in a tiny farm town in Illinois.No Blacks.
We used the "N" word like it was the only word for "Negroes".
That was THEN, and this is NOW.
We need to stop putting other races supposed thoughts in our heads.
As "Obama" says, "We Ain't perfect, we got a long way to go, but we are going to make it!
It's those "Freak'n Chinks" I hate,:chinese::chinese::chinese: "Yellow Bastards"!! :cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
The opposite is true. Immigration restrictions have been eased and many more Dominicans are getting visas for even up to 10 years. This is a response to a study the US Embassy did and discovered that the fraud rate that was expected for Dominicans was exaggerated. Also, Dominican emigration to the US has been continually decreasing for quite a few years.

This was even proven here on DR1, so do a search and you will find the thread.

Its incredible how a thread based on a video filled with misleading information about the DR, is also revealing all sorts of other misinformation that has been spread about Dominicans.

Also, citing books without mentioning their title and author is not really proper, to say the least.

How recent is your information? My info comes from a book called "The Devil Behind the Mirror" by Seven Gregory(2006). Maybe the info is dated, but the author clearly shows in this book that the American government has been restricting Dominicans from entry into the US:

The Devil behind the Mirror: Globalization and Politics in the Dominican Republic: Steven Gregory: 9780520249295: Amazon.com: Books

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
LINKS? STATS?

i get so tired of the he said he said

NALS doesn't have his facts straight. Author Steven Gregory did a detailed study in the DR that is well documented. Most here on DR1 probably haven't even read his book "The Devil Behind the Mirror." The information I'm providing about the U.S. government restricting Dominican immigration is backed up by this book, not by my own opinion. According to Gregory, not only has the U.S. government increased restriction of Dominicans since the 1980s, the Dominican government itself has made it increasingly difficult for many Dominicans to even leave the island. This is confirmed by ANOTHER book I recently read and reviewed here on DR1. According to that author, 5 percent of Dominicans have no birth documents, cedula cards, etc meaning they are stateless. Some Dominicans born in the DR have even been deported to Haiti. It is a mess.

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
This is true. Even Dr. Gates confirmed this and also all the lies that African Americans tell themselves in order to justify the resentment and hatred many of them have towards whites (he didn't put it in those exact words, but that's basically what he said). Here, have a look and lend your ears:

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ELaZpZovbkM?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="480"></iframe>

Plenty of myths exist within the African American community that simply keeps the resentments alive. This is why so many of them feel uncomfortable referring to themselves as just Americans, although many also have no problems with that.

Its precisely those myths that causes many mixed race Americans to adopt a false monoracial identity. By extension, those myths and the omissions can also explain the attacks against Dominicans that comes from certain groups.

Black Americans are in denial regarding their history. I used to think like them, but the more Black history I studied, the more I begin to realize that Dominicans have the right idea. They have no real reason to identify themselves with Africa. For one, West Africans were conquered by the Europeans, they are the losers of history. Since when does anyone want to associate themselves with a loser? We all know the cliche of the boxing champion. When you're the champ, everyone wants to be around you, to take pictures with you, to party with you. The moment you lose the belt, everyone deserts you. Don't be surprised Africaida that Dominicans have a statue of Columbus in Santo Domingo..........Christopher Columbus won, and everyone wants to identify with the winner. Haitians identify with Africa, so what? Has it helped the country? Look at the DR and look at Haiti? Haitians identify with Africans and their country is just as poor and blown to hell as African nations to.....

Africans are the losers of history, and, looking at the continent today, they still haven't learned. Their incompetence and stupidity caused the ancestors of both Dominicans, African Americans, Brazilians, and all the other peoples of African descent in the new world to be enslaved. So why should we care about them? Why should we identify with them? Africans are TRIBAL, any Dominican or African American going to Africa would be seen as an outsider by the locals. Therefore, Dominicans are justified in distancing themselves from Africans and creating their own identity. I would do it to if I were them!

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012

Oh come on suarezn, look at the success of Japan, do you think that would have been possible if the Japanese hadn't kept their racial/cultural/national identity intact? I seriously doubt it. Racial mixing is only good genetically, because it creates genetic diversity. Socially and culturally, it is disastrous. The Japanese, Vietnamese, and Asians in general are very hostile to racial mixing. Singapore is a case in point. There, you have Chinese, Indians, and other Asian peoples living side by side, and still, they rarely intermarry. I'm telling you, most Japanese, Indian, Chinese and Vietnamese families would never want you or me marrying their daughter. And I think that is the reason they're successful.

Regarding the United States, I really wish people would stop calling it a "melting pot.' It is and it isn't. Anyone who looks at the top of the American economic/political pyramid will see that the country is run lock stock and barrel by White blue bloods who do not and will not marry non-Whites who are non-elites. Do you honestly think Donald Trump's daughter would marry a Black or Mexican dude? Not in a million years, and it wouldn't matter how much money he has! Trump's daughter married a White guy who comes from a multi-millionaire family. The American "melting pot" is only on the lower rung of society, the upper crust of American society always has been and always will be run by rich Whites! Even when the USA becomes majority mixed race population by 2050, it still won't change a thing, Whites will still run the show from the top just like they already do in Brazil! To anybody who disagrees with this post, look at the list below of the Forbes list of top richest Americans!

Forbes List of Richest Americans(Photos included) Almost everyone on the list is WHITE because Whites run the USA people, stop being naive and delusional, if the USA is such a "melting pot" why isn't the list mostly mixed race people? Thought so.

The Richest People in America List- Forbes

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012

To understand the problems in the DR, you really have to look at the big picture. This is why the first book I read on the DR involved the role that the country plays in the world and globalization. Here is the thing. When you really look at the history of the DR, this country's destiny has often been shaped by people other than those that live here. With the exception of the Dominican revolution against Haitian rule, the country's destiny has always been dictated by outside forces. The USA has essentially dominated the DR for much of its history, and the fact is, if it had not been the U.S dominating the DR, it would be Mexico, or Brazil or Argentina. Dominicans may complain about American imperialism, but had the USA lost the Mexican American War, they would be complaining about Mexican imperialism.

At one point, Argentina had one of the wealthiest nations in Latin America, and had it wanted, could have easily built a navy that could have dominated all of the Caribbean islands, including the DR. Brazil also has the potential to dominate the DR and all the Caribbean, if it were not for the U.S. What is my point? My point is this.........the Dominican Republic is a small nation located in close proximity to multiple giants(the USA, Mexico, Brazil, Argentina). Because of this, one of these "giants" will always control the DR one way or another. At best, Dominicans could try to do what the Taiwanese did, but honestly, the Dominicans have a culture/history/worldview which is simply not geared towards the type of success that Taiwan achieved. The Taiwanese simply have a mentality that is radically different. Like the DR, Taiwan sits in close proximity to giants(Japan, China, Korea) yet the Taiwanese have still managed to forge their destiny, and this is because of what their people have inside them. No offense to Dominicans, but the Taiwanese have different priorities, and are made of different stuff. For one, the Taiwanese have real ambition, they want more than en economy based on tourism or agriculture. This alone makes them very different from Dominicans.

Last edited:

Natu

Jan 20, 2013
Did you know that by the time slavery was abolished in the Dominican Republic, the liberation applied to a minority of the population?

Did you know that by the mid-1600s, most of the population lived as free men, despite being mulatto?

Did you know that the actual slavery that was practiced in the DR for most of its colonial history, was based on cattle ranching and the slaves themselves lived as if they were freed men, given the nature of their work?

I bet you didn't knew that.

The extreme poverty of the colony explains why the institutions, including racial institutions, were not able to be maintained here; unlike in other parts of the Spanish empire that were wealthier. This is also the main reason for why the mixed race population became a majority by the end of the 1600s. The breakdown in the economic well being of the people caused most to depend on their neighbors, regardless what their race was or whether they were of slave origin or not. Most former slaves were left to their own devices and most became subsistence farmers and free for all practical purposes. As people depended on each other for their survival, the newer generation began to mix and before anyone knew it, Dominican society became a mulatto society. The percentages have fluctuated since, but this country has never been anything other than a mulatto-majority society since then.

This is very different from the history of other places, including Cuba and Haiti; which can be considered to be "right there." Different histories produces different results.

It is true that there is more African influence in Dominican culture and in the rest of the Spanish Caribbean than among African Americans, but it still a minor part of the culture. For a person arriving from the US, the African culture among Dominicans appears huge, but that is only by perspective.

If we were to segment everything that makes up culture, it becomes clear that the African component is minor.

For example:

Language: It seems that less than 5% (and this is probably quite generous to begin with) of words in Dominican Spanish, are of African origin. Most non-Spanish words used in the Dominican dialect are actually of Taino origin.

Architecture: Mostly European/Taino and more recently, American and International influences. Africa is not quite visible here either.

Food: There is a greater input of African elements in many Dominican dishes than there is in the language or the architecture, but its still minor. Mang? comes from Africa, but most Dominican dishes quite simply don't have much of Africa in them. If anything, most Dominican dishes are mostly of Spanish origin.

Clothing: Its true that American influence is much more visible here, albeit the average Dominican is much more conscious about his/her fashion sense and, as a result, tend to dress nicer than Americans even for simple things such as going to supermarket. However, traditional Dominican fashion has been 100% of European origin. Africa simply has no presence in this.

We can keep disecting the culture and the only thing that will come to light is that Europe and Taino influences are greater in most aspects than the African, and in many areas Africa is not even present.

There are three things that the African influence is obvious among Dominicans, albeit almost always as a minor component.

1. Music, especially popular music. Its not African in nature a nor is it dominated by the African influence, but the influence is strong enough to be noticed.

2. Religion, not so much the formal part but the beliefs in brujos and other nonsense (to me its nonsense.)

3. Genetics, although the average Dominican is much more mixed than a typical African American, and this makes the typical Dominican look different from even the typical African American. This, I have discovered, varies greatly within the US. In some parts of the US, Dominicans may not be as distinguished from African Americans while in most areas, there is a clear difference in appearance, usually due to greater European admixture among Dominicans.

Beyond those aspects, the African component is few and far between and this is what we Dominicans mean when we say that we don't have much African influences. We see the whole picture, not enlarge the parts that have a visible African influence while ignoring most aspects of our culture.

This is perhaps the best comment ever made in this whole thread...

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
NALS doesn't have his facts straight. Author Steven Gregory did a detailed study in the DR that is well documented. Most here on DR1 probably haven't even read his book "The Devil Behind the Mirror." The information I'm providing about the U.S. government restricting Dominican immigration is backed up by this book, not by my own opinion. According to Gregory, not only has the U.S. government increased restriction of Dominicans since the 1980s, the Dominican government itself has made it increasingly difficult for many Dominicans to even leave the island. This is confirmed by ANOTHER book I recently read and reviewed here on DR1. According to that author, 5 percent of Dominicans have no birth documents, cedula cards, etc meaning they are stateless. Some Dominicans born in the DR have even been deported to Haiti. It is a mess.

Actually, it is so much easier to get a visa these days than it was 20 years ago. I remember when visas used to be something special, something that only a few had, but now it?s more like "everybody" travels. It?s been posted here that you need USD$10,000 in the bank to get a visa, that you need to have a car, that visas are closed and things like that but none of that is really accurate!

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
To understand the problems in the DR, you really have to look at the big picture. This is why the first book I read on the DR involved the role that the country plays in the world and globalization. Here is the thing. When you really look at the history of the DR, this country's destiny has often been shaped by people other than those that live here. With the exception of the Dominican revolution against Haitian rule, the country's destiny has always been dictated by outside forces. The USA has essentially dominated the DR for much of its history, and the fact is, if it had not been the U.S dominating the DR, it would be Mexico, or Brazil or Argentina. Dominicans may complain about American imperialism, but had the USA lost the Mexican American War, they would be complaining about Mexican imperialism.

At one point, Argentina had one of the wealthiest nations in Latin America, and had it wanted, could have easily built a navy that could have dominated all of the Caribbean islands, including the DR. Brazil also has the potential to dominate the DR and all the Caribbean, if it were not for the U.S. What is my point? My point is this.........the Dominican Republic is a small nation located in close proximity to multiple giants(the USA, Mexico, Brazil, Argentina). Because of this, one of these "giants" will always control the DR one way or another. At best, Dominicans could try to do what the Taiwanese did, but honestly, the Dominicans have a culture/history/worldview which is simply not geared towards the type of success that Taiwan achieved. The Taiwanese simply have a mentality that is radically different. Like the DR, Taiwan sits in close proximity to giants(Japan, China, Korea) yet the Taiwanese have still managed to forge their destiny, and this is because of what their people have inside them. No offense to Dominicans, but the Taiwanese have different priorities, and are made of different stuff. For one, the Taiwanese have real ambition, they want more than en economy based on tourism or agriculture. This alone makes them very different from Dominicans.

I agree with most of what you say, except for the fact that you seem to dismiss the role the US have played in keeping Taiwan separating from their continental cousins. Had it not being for the US Navy (and the weapons sold to the island by the US arm traders) the island would have been overran by the continental reds a long time ago, even if the process would have taken thousands (if not millions) of soldiers to achieve, specially if we consider the fact that the Chinese don't flinch at the prospect of facing horrendous casualties to reach their aims, as the Korean conflict showed.

Status
Not open for further replies.