Black in Latin America- Ep. 1- Haiti & the Dominican Republic- An Island Divided

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Look at the title of this video and I have watched most of them on PBS aka channel 11 they did a whole series on these sort of topics. He is NOT talking to Dominicans, Haitians, exapts of DR, gringos who married a Dominican, DR1 or NALS.
Who do some of you think his "target audience" is? If he was teaching a course at DePaul, Notre Dame, Northwestern, or Washington U in St Louis many of the students will say he have PROVED his argument that the two countries are DIVIDED.

It is very important to realize who is the "target audience" If Chip and a man from Houston Texas that have never been to DR both watched this video, they both will walk away with two different opinions on the video.

Of course he could not go through the entire Dominican history in 35 mins, but I felt he touch on the important incidents about DR regarding why the two nations are divided.

When he showed the statues of Duarte, Mella and Sanchez they looked VERY similar to "Honest Abe, Teddy, George, and Mr. Jefferson in Mount Rushmore and he did a great job explaining why they chose to sculp them that way.

If this video was presented to a 1000 African Americans students from Morehouse, Howard, Spellman, Alabama St, Grambling, and Savannah St they would walk away with a different conclusion then many of you, and are they wrong for not seeing the DR the way some of you see it?

Once again when you watch a documentary such as this one REMEMBER who the target audience is.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
When he showed the statues of Duarte, Mella and Sanchez they looked VERY similar to "Honest Abe, Teddy, George, and Mr. Jefferson in Mount Rushmore and he did a great job explaining why they chose to sculp them that way.

The problem here is that you and Dr. Gates are assuming that, at least in the case of Duarte and Mella, that these ones are being racially misrepresented on their statues, when the reality is that all documents and paintings of the epoch in which they lived (in the case of Duarte, even photographs) agree on them having been criollos, so it's you two the ones on the wrong here.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
How recent is your information? My info comes from a book called "The Devil Behind the Mirror" by Seven Gregory(2006). Maybe the info is dated, but the author clearly shows in this book that the American government has been restricting Dominicans from entry into the US:

The Devil behind the Mirror: Globalization and Politics in the Dominican Republic: Steven Gregory: 9780520249295: Amazon.com: Books
Much more recent.

Use the search function, you'll find the post where this is talked about along with the links.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Most of the Dominican republic is actually black mixed with native american. This is actually very similar to African Americans. You know African Americans are more watered down versions of Africans. They view themselves as more american and less African like the Dominicans see themselves as more Spanish and less African. AFRICAN AMERICANS ARE NORMALLY BLACK MIXED WITH INDIAN AND WHITE. That is why they look so different than African blacks and Haitians. Haiti sees themselves as more African and has more people with pure African blood that has not been watered down by mixing races. Jamaica, Trinidad and some other places are like Haiti in seeing themselves as more African than non African.

The sad thing is that due to ignorance and racism, people do not realize that Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic and Cuba have closer African ties than African Americans which is similar to Haiti. The music, religion, culture, food and other society aspects are very close the Africa. The Salsa clave rhythm is one of the many examples. It came from Africa. The slaves brought it! That 1 2 3 beat comes from west Africa. Listen to west african music and you will be shocked! Black bloodlines are all over the entire caribbean, colombia, panama, brazil and venezuela. There are lots of books out on this. It is very interesting.
AMERICANS ARE NORMALLY BLACK MIXED WITH INDIAN AND WHITE. WTF???
Where do you get your data from?? NORMALLY?? NORMALLY??I suspect you are either a white american, or dominican. Naturally, we see ourselves as american, as we are many generations removed from our african ancestors. P*$$es me of to no end when when blacks in US are referred to as "african-Americans". get your facts straight.

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
... P*$$es me of to no end when when blacks in US are referred to as "african-Americans". get your facts straight.

Slow your roll .... some blacks in the US refer to themselves as African American. You can call yourself whatever you wish. Others have that same right ....

Make no assumptions about who is using these threads .....

I call myself ... a man (who happens to be Black).

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
race threads always seem to bring out all the non-cultured people who think they are experts on a particular race because they spent a few bucks on a cheap haitian girl :ermm:

finally, remember history is HIS STORY and not always the truth.

May 12, 2005
Much more recent.

Use the search function, you'll find the post where this is talked about along with the links.

At one time there was a huge backlog of cases at the US Consulate. It was common to wait 2 or 3 years for a visa for a spouse or fiancee. Now it is around 10 months. Just keep in mind that the Consulate in DR is one of the busiest in the world for immigrant visas combined with the fact that Dominicans have one of the highest rates for visa fraud will get folks applications some extra scrutiny and slow down the process some. Just as an FYI, there are no limits or quotas for spousal and fiancee visas, however for other family members like primos, those are subject to yearly allotments.

Dec 26, 2011
Just as an FYI, there are no limits or quotas for spousal and fiancee visas, however for other family members like primos, those are subject to yearly allotments.

Thanks for that info.

Status
Not open for further replies.