Flipped Schools

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
AE, i read a document from the World Bank which stated that there are 800,000 registered library books in the COUNTRY. no, not Santo Domingo. nor Santiago. nor La Romana. the entire country!!

my high school library had over 10,000 books, and it had only 350 students...

Sad.

Ditto book stores. I'm always searching everywhere we drive for used book stores [there's an old series of Dominican books I'm determined to find, even if it's one at a time], and it's hard to find ANY book store in many places. Again, I mean out of the cities.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Sad.

Ditto book stores. I'm always searching everywhere we drive for used book stores [there's an old series of Dominican books I'm determined to find, even if it's one at a time], and it's hard to find ANY book store in many places. Again, I mean out of the cities.

go to any furniture store and see what they have on sale. you can buy a bed, a chair, a table, a sofa, whatever. you just can't find a bookshelf...

no demand. guys make those to order.

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013
We all know education is not the best here. Do you all think this idea will work in the D.R.? It worked in poor areas of Michigan. Many academics think the biggest problem is poor students have little to no support for homework assignments at home.
The idea is to have online lectures the student can watch over and over on their pc's or tablets(If no internet they can download today's lecture over free public wifi). Then go to school for a few hours to do their homework. This way when the student gets lost on his/her homework, there is a teacher nearby to assist.

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/10/09/turning-education-upside-down/

Are you a teacher?

I have talked about the subject for a long long time.

I am writing about the educational problem in DR -and many other countries- an easy solution.

one issue [which is not my main point] is to catch the student attention, to make possible learning intangible, 'dry' material and concepts, which students dont relate to their everyday present and future life

fb and youtube is more interesting to them

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Are you a teacher?

I have talked about the subject for a long long time.

I am writing about the educational problem in DR -and many other countries- an easy solution.

one issue [which is not my main point] is to catch the student attention, to make possible learning intangible, 'dry' material and concepts, which students dont relate to their everyday present and future life

fb and youtube is more interesting to them

You have no grasp of poverty Empiric despite your good intentions. First,do you realize internet access is still a luxury in many countries in the world ? Internet cafes can't be classrooms.

Trust me, the problem is not grasping student attention; although, it may be an issue for wealthier countries. There are a variety of reasons and I won't get into them. But I will give you 2 simple examples: How would be your attention span if you had no breakfast (in the best case scenario) OR why would you be interested if you knew you will have to stop sooner than later to either get married or help your parents earn a living ??

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
The phenomenon/concept of student diversity is crucial in teaching/learning. In America it is defined by differences in culture/language, ethnicity, race, gender, learning ability/disability, behavior and etc. Each difference impacts how, when, and where a student can/will learn, and thusly how a teacher can reach the student. The DR is not immune to the dynamic.

Diversity in the classroom should be addressed as follows:

1. Forget about technology as an end-all solution to learning, but use it when available and can reasonably be leveraged. Edtech is not just computers. Plato defined technology (techne) as an art and skill. In today's classroom that would mean the technology of instruction, or how artful and skilled the teacher is in delivering a lesson.

2. Lessons must be defined in terms of learning objectives/standards. No later than the first few minutes of the next day, i.e., after the student has had time to do homework based on the objective, a question/exercise aligned to the previous day's objective must be administered for purposes of quick assessment (criterion-referenced formative assessment).

3. As soon as the teacher knows who has/hasn't learned the objective he/she can design corrective follow-up instruction (Mastery Learning - Bloom) based on such as, grouping, differentiating instruction, etc. (an ongoing record of the status of students' knowledge of a learning standard serves as a predictor of how well he/she will do on an end-of-year exam).

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
here is an interesting article from la zeta: Z 101

if you see the education as an inversion rather than cost then maybe you can move dominican education forward. but so far the politicians talk about costs, costs, costs. they should be talking about investing in dominican people, in dominican children. it's almost like a business: you put money in, work hard and receive real benefits.

i used to teach in poland privately. i also substituted for a friend in a normal school. my method of teaching was always to grab the attention of my student. i picked up facts from private lives of writers to interest a student in that writer's work. i presented trivia to make them learn by association. it worked. when i did orthography classes i would make the silliest, mostly impossible stories using various difficult words. my students laughed and learnt. but then when it comes to teaching i have infinite patience. i can repeat the same thing over and over again. how many teachers here can do that?

i think the key to improving the education in DR is to invest. in people, not in places. kids can learn in a wooden shack as long as their teacher is well trained, well paid and passionate about educating kids. big, nice school is nothing but an expensive symbol of "we are putting 4% into education". no, you are putting 4% into cement bricks. invest in people.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
here is an interesting article from la zeta: Z 101

if you see the education as an inversion rather than cost then maybe you can move dominican education forward. but so far the politicians talk about costs, costs, costs. they should be talking about investing in dominican people, in dominican children. it's almost like a business: you put money in, work hard and receive real benefits.

i used to teach in poland privately. i also substituted for a friend in a normal school. my method of teaching was always to grab the attention of my student. i picked up facts from private lives of writers to interest a student in that writer's work. i presented trivia to make them learn by association. it worked. when i did orthography classes i would make the silliest, mostly impossible stories using various difficult words. my students laughed and learnt. but then when it comes to teaching i have infinite patience. i can repeat the same thing over and over again. how many teachers here can do that?

i think the key to improving the education in DR is to invest. in people, not in places. kids can learn in a wooden shack as long as their teacher is well trained, well paid and passionate about educating kids. big, nice school is nothing but an expensive symbol of "we are putting 4% into education". no, you are putting 4% into cement bricks. invest in people.

this is why you are dv8, and most people are not. the Dominican political directorate's idea of improving education is to have a 1.5 million peso competition to see who can design the best desk, or building a million dollar parking lot for UASD. these guys here do not know the difference between their asses and their elbows, and in 200 years the system will still be putting out high school graduates who believe that the sun revolves around the earth.

Aug 21, 2007
Funny. I am taking a graduate class. Last night's topic was this very subject. We discussed the One Laptop Per Child program designed to save the world's poor by providing an inexpensive XO laptop to every child. This program, designed by Nicholas Negroponte was adopted country-wide in Uruguay and is being used extensively in Peru, Paraguay, and Mexico. Preliminary studies show the program results are less than stellar.

Extensive time was spent on the Khan academy and flipped classrooms. The readings included this one explaining the program, which attracts not the poor, but kids from middle and upper income families.

How Khan Academy Is Changing the Rules of Education | Wired Magazine | Wired.com

And finally, we discussed who really benefits from technology in classrooms.

Hyping classroom technology helps tech firms, not students - Los Angeles Times

As far as flipping classes, I believe that the pedagogy will work, but not in areas where resources are minimal and families, uneducated. Turing to technology, I think that it has value in a classroom, as long as technology use is linked to skills necessary in the workplace, such as creating charts or spreadsheets to show data in a social studies class or to organize numbers in a math class. Word processing projects should be used with writing assignments in classes. Power Point projects for class presentations. What I don't favor is using technology for the sake of technology or replacing good old fashion, creative teaching with technology.

And for poor schools, spend money on basic needs, teachers, and teacher trainings, not technology.

Lindsey

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013
You have no grasp of poverty Empiric despite your good intentions. First,do you realize internet access is still a luxury in many countries in the world ? Internet cafes can't be classrooms.

Trust me, the problem is not grasping student attention; although, it may be an issue for wealthier countries. There are a variety of reasons and I won't get into them. But I will give you 2 simple examples: How would be your attention span if you had no breakfast (in the best case scenario) OR why would you be interested if you knew you will have to stop sooner than later to either get married or help your parents earn a living ??

1- Yes i realize it...

2- BUT, did I mention internet as the solution?

3- Agree, 'there vaiety of reasons',

4- 'and I wont' get into them' either. I did mention 'one issue', grasping student attention', which have to do with teaching methods, mainly the use of technical resources.

5- Breakfast?, dont they get it free?. But that is not my focus, no humanitarian issues, others deal with it.

6- My focus is teaching methods, not even content.

6.1- As far as the usual school teachers in front of the students, I wonder if they really know how to grasp attention even without technical resources. No unless the teacher know oratory, rethoric and is aware of the kind of audience she/he is facing.

6.2- Teachers and students should be involved in a incentive and competition program, profesionally designed, national and international.

7- 'Get married or help your parents'? those are social/humanitarian issue. But at least the curriculum should deal with those issues, school is mean to prepare students for LIFE, choose a career, and choose to marry early or not.

EDUCATION is the key to everything.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
1- Yes i realize it...

2- BUT, did I mention internet as the solution?

3- Agree, 'there vaiety of reasons',

4- 'and I wont' get into them' either. I did mention 'one issue', grasping student attention', which have to do with teaching methods, mainly the use of technical resources.

5- Breakfast?, dont they get it free?. But that is not my focus, no humanitarian issues, others deal with it.

6- My focus is teaching methods, not even content.

6.1- As far as the usual school teachers in front of the students, I wonder if they really know how to grasp attention even without technical resources. No unless the teacher know oratory, rethoric and is aware of the kind of audience she/he is facing.

6.2- Teachers and students should be involved in a incentive and competition program, profesionally designed, national and international.

7- 'Get married or help your parents'? those are social/humanitarian issue. But at least the curriculum should deal with those issues, school is mean to prepare students for LIFE, choose a career, and choose to marry early or not.

EDUCATION is the key to everything.

I don't disagree with you

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Dominican parents, which usually just means the "Mami" of the house, really don't want their kids to get a good education!!!!
If the kids do, they might move away, or even leave the country!
These "Mami's" want their kids to do just like they did!!!
Especially their daughters.
Which is, get no education at school, get pregnant as a "Teen", then live with her kids in Mami's "Hovel ".
THAT is a Dominican Mothers "Sueno"!
Hard to overcome that culture!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Dominican parents, which usually just means the "Mami" of the house, really don't want their kids to get a good education!!!!
Which is, get no education at school, get pregnant as a "Teen", then live with her kids in Mami's "Hovel ".

Isn't due to the lack of education ?

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013
"Isn't due to the lack of education ?"

yes, in turn can produce envy, fear, not to mention lack of money to educate children. Human nature is to stay with people in ttheir same level.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Isn't due to the lack of education ?

Yes it is but as I have seen many of times kids are like pets, when they're a baby all the neighborhood girls carry them around on their hips just like little mommies. Then when they get bigger all one has to do is feed them and that's it.
Go into any barrio and at 10pm you still see a lot of 3 year old ones playing in the street.
The Dominican is strange they are so loving and caring and on the other hand they don't give a $hit, full of contradictions.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

The Dominican dream is to get said daughter married to an American, Canadian, Spaniard....etc., or to get her son to NYC so they can either sponsor mom or send money back.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Interesting, somebody influenced those kids. Once a kid is taught the joy of learning, you got them. It's like that kid you see walking around while reading a book, bumping into things cause they just can't put it down.

How many parents in poor neighborhoods read to their kids? How many kids in poor neighborhoods have Library cards?
That needs to change first.

To have library card, you need to have a library (does anyone really use libraries any more?). There was a government program a few years ago to provide cheap laptops to kids. My guess is that some people got nice Jeepetas over it and nothing else happened.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
the government is not going to throw a dime at education unless they are forced. The DR does not have libraries unless I
missed them somehow. Think about it, how many Dominicans do you see with a book under their arm? Majority of population
cannot read, contrary to the governments published literacy stats. No evidence but that is my impression.

Aug 21, 2007
To have library card, you need to have a library (does anyone really use libraries any more?). There was a government program a few years ago to provide cheap laptops to kids. My guess is that some people got nice Jeepetas over it and nothing else happened.

You are probably spot on. In the One Laptop Per Child program, the US government bought 8,080 XO computers for donation to Iraq. They never reached the children's hands. Half were auctioned off to a businessman in Basra for $10.88 each and the other half are unaccounted for, according to the NY Times, Sept. 24, 2010.

I imagine the same happened here.

Lindsey

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
the government is not going to throw a dime at education unless they are forced. The DR does not have libraries unless I
missed them somehow. Think about it, how many Dominicans do you see with a book under their arm? Majority of population
cannot read, contrary to the governments published literacy stats. No evidence but that is my impression.

I see Dominicans reading the newspapers everyday and lots of Dominicans I know read, but perhaps they are the exception.