Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited and / or Overland 2012 - 2014 and BMW X5 2012

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Prado... Not sure if I really like it that much. From the points you make I would say yes though. Well, pricey yes.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Another thing to consider when buying a used European car is how the previous owner had cared for it.

These engines need regular oil changes with fully synthetic oil which is very expensive. *Just a simple oil change can cost well over 6,000 pesos.

I have driven x5's since 2008 untill last year when I moved here. Oil service is every 30.000 KMS.

markryan

Jul 16, 2014
I run a used car dealership. Have driven and reconditioned every car you could think of. IMO both vehicles are a dream to drive and a nightmare to own, that's in North America, Dr would be even worse. IMO.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
What about a Prado?

For sure the best vehicles on the island without doubt.

It will never break down.
They are very luxurious inside. *Even have a fridge in the center console.
They are cheap to run.
They are not overly complicated outside of the capabilities of many Dominican mechanics.

Ok, so they are a little on the expensive side, but it will retain its value all day long and when you come to sell it, it will sell very fast.

my buddy left his Prado in his driveway, and went to England for what was to have been 2 weeks. let us just say he had a circumstantial tailspin in Amsterdam and his stay lasted 4 years. he got back here 3 weeks ago, put a new battery in the car, cranked it up, and drove right out the driveway.*

not many cars can do that.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Nothing is mantaned here .... if a dom is selling it that means it is compleatly destroyed.

people here do not know dick about a car, anyway. i have seen gas stations here selling 0/20 oil. *zero weight!! who sells zero weight oil in the tropics. zero is almost overkill in Minnesota...

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
I run a used car dealership. Have driven and reconditioned every car you could think of. IMO both vehicles are a dream to drive and a nightmare to own, that's in North America, Dr would be even worse. IMO.

Very true, buy a TOYOYA...........DOC.......

Feb 7, 2007
If you decide for Jeep, Chryscar will have you covered mechanically. Good quality work, street prices. I have Chrysler and buy parts off Ebay/Amazon/Rockauto and ship them down here. Still cheaper than comparable new parts that would be for Toyota/Honda bought on the island.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
people here do not know dick about a car, anyway. i have seen gas stations here selling 0/20 oil. *zero weight!! who sells zero weight oil in the tropics. zero is almost overkill in Minnesota...

MOst American men and even a lot of ladies have battery chargers in their garage. But i took my battery to 3 actual mechanic shops with hoists etc... and none of them had one.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Some one I didn't notice who said not to buy a certain car because it didn't have good resale value. Who would buy a car for ist resale value instead of its usefulness. Used car dealers should buy a car for its resale value, but why would anyone else want to?

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
resale value is a sign of the quality of the automobile. The new cars that have the lowest lease payments per month, have the lowest loss of value per month. All a lease payment is , depreciation plus interest per month. Simple right??.....DOC.......

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
If you decide for Jeep, Chryscar will have you covered mechanically. Good quality work, street prices. I have Chrysler and buy parts off Ebay/Amazon/Rockauto and ship them down here. Still cheaper than comparable new parts that would be for Toyota/Honda bought on the island.
How can you get it here cheep do you not pay bu waight . How do you do this?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
"resale value is a sign of the quality of the automobile"

not in DR, "they" overcharge for every china crap too... :bunny:

Jan 9, 2004

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I'm surprised that Subaru has never taken a firm foothold in the DR. Their standards of engineering is comparable to a swiss watch. Just check inside the door shuts. You will see the rubber mouldings held in with stainless steel screws.

They really are great vehicles. Shame they dropped the new Tribeca, nice SUV.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
my buddy left his Prado in his driveway, and went to England for what was to have been 2 weeks. let us just say he had a circumstantial tailspin in Amsterdam and his stay lasted 4 years. he got back here 3 weeks ago, put a new battery in the car, cranked it up, and drove right out the driveway.*

not many cars can do that.

Absolutely the best option. We have a 1999 Prado diesel (my wife drives it), never any problems. Mine is a 1985 Landcruiser diesel. People even offerd me money on parkings, No way, there is nothing better. I love the X5's but not it the DR.

Jan 9, 2004
I'm surprised that Subaru has never taken a firm foothold in the DR. Their standards of engineering is comparable to a swiss watch. Just check inside the door shuts. You will see the rubber mouldings held in with stainless steel screws.

They really are great vehicles. Shame they dropped the new Tribeca, nice SUV.

Subaru was a virtual unknown in the DR, as the parent, Fuji Heavy Industries, concentrated on other divisions within the company and spent little time cultivating a world car brand outside of regions where it had strong sales.

The Subaru division nearly went bankrupt in the late 80's due to huge design and customer wants mis-steps. They survived and prospered and today produce cars better than their chief rivals, Toyota and Honda.

Acceptance has come slow in the DR....but my clients are importing more and more as consumers recognize the quality of the brand. If they ever decided to enter the DR market in earnest, I would hope they copy the strategy of Hyundai. There is a brand that was virtually unknown in the DR approximately ten short years ago.

The Tribeca never caught on, and like its Toyota cousin the Venza has been discontinued for slow sales. Subaru will introduce a new large cross-over in the next two years,

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Absolutely the best option. We have a 1999 Prado diesel (my wife drives it), never any problems. Mine is a 1985 Landcruiser diesel. People even offerd me money on parkings, No way, there is nothing better. I love the X5's but not it the DR.

a 1999 or 2000 Prado, the old shape, is my favorite SUV for this country. i have found 5 of them for people here.