New stuff going on for folks entering/ overstaying visas.

jahjahwarrior

Mar 14, 2017
Paid over stay when I left last week, because I was here for 5 weeks, left for a week, and no issues returning yesterday, they even pronounced my name right!

You guys keep scaring me but so far no issues for this us citizen.

Good thing too because I much prefer the Playas and saltos here!

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Paid over stay when I left last week, because I was here for 5 weeks, left for a week, and no issues returning yesterday, they even pronounced my name right!

You mean jahjahwarrior, wow migración is advancing with fingerprinting and pronunciation.
Interesting that they didn't flag the overstay at return, as most things in the DR hit and miss. 

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Never seen them write a clearance on my ticket before and i fly with them a lot from SJU hence the heads up

Sent from my LG-M154 using Tapatalk

I'm wondering how long it will be before someone accuses you of scaremongering and making this up.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
I left on the 8 March out of POP and was politely asked to pay the $2500 dop fee for overstay, nothing else.
It will be interesting when I return.

Russell

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012

There are some here (not all) that because they have citizenship or at least residency not only try to push the fear message to those of us that do not have such status, but I truly believe they will rejoice if and when the day comes that we are forced to go through the process.
They jump on every CLAIM of an issue and promote it ad nauseam. Do people get rejected entry? Yes, I believe some do, however I believe it is when there are extenuating circumstances, i.e. past deportation, on the list of some security/intelligence agency etc.
I'll be back next month with my record clearly displaying a track record of overstays for 12 years. Unlike these "claims" I will be glad to meet up in Santiago with my passport, current and expired with the proof. What I say is true, you buy the beers, if I lie I will buy the beers, rum, cigars and dinner.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Gary,
I have no feelings one way or another about anyone who is refused...

This thread (and forum in general) is to help travelers, residents, et al.

What would be a shame is for someone , like the thread opener here, to be blindsided by an entry refusal.
If people have read this thread they now know that 2018 is presenting different enforcement issues than other years.

Any perceived paranoia might lie in the minds of those at risk....
I would feel that way if I were subject to inspection and willingly/knowingly ignored the rules.

People will do as they wish - rightly so.

If it does nothing this, this thread may reduce the complaining about being refused.

I'm waiting for that post - what will the responses be - I wonder??

What will you say , Gary ??

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
How many on DR1 have been refused so far? I am sure there has been a few since this is the new law. I still have not met anyone who has been refused. Have they started finger prints in POP yet? I am returning soon to see my daughter, I will be curious what they say to me as I have quite a history of overstays.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
We may never know.... some may be sheepish to admit...
Ooops... I got caught - after being made aware - I still did it

I still go back to that original Fr-Cdn couple in another thread
The driver reported the incident
Do you think they were caught off guard ???

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
"Because some have citizenship they push the fear message"... As another poster put it I'd rather people know what could happen than to be surprised about what did happen. Again to think things are not changing is ignorance. How long it will take who knows. No one is saying the way the DR government is going about it is correct, just saying be aware.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
"Because some have citizenship they push the fear message"... As another poster put it I'd rather people know what could happen than to be surprised about what did happen. Again to think things are not changing is ignorance. How long it will take who knows. No one is saying the way the DR government is going about it is correct, just saying be aware.

I haven't read anything like that by a person with Citizenship, oe I just missed it. I have citizenship and never have a problem coming but the last time I left my Canadian passport was locked and I had to spend about ten minutes waiting for the agent to get a supervisor to unlock it. No money exchanged.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Bob...just repeating what a previous poster wrote. I have never gotten the impression those of us with citizenship were pushing the fear message.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am a legal resident. Have been since I moved here in 2003. I have considered becoming a DR citizen.

People will do what they want to do unless and until they cannot. Making people aware of their situation depending upon what option they have taken is important.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I keep trying to make that point...

but I fear I am considered a lesser being for doing so... or for complying... or for whatever...

Who knows?
Who cares ?

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I recall the subject of DGM airport computers raising red flags broached upon earlier within this thread. Here is an incident of a Dominican citizen/former agency head, who was on the run, being flagged upon re-entry into RD.
No, not a tourist card or overstay incident, but rather a wanted subject's name being entered into a database for reasons other than what some believe these actions are truly occurring for.
As copied and pasted from DR1 news of today, 27 March.....

Santiago City Hall employee arrested for fraud
The Attorney General’s office has announced that the ex-director of Human Resources at Santiago City Hall, René Guzmán Corporán, has been arrested at Las Americas International Airport having been red flagged in the Migration Agency data system. He is linked to a fraud case involving more than RD$10 million and is now in custody at the Public Prosecution office in Santiago.
Guzmán Corporán was detained when returning to the country on a flight from Spain, having managed to evade the exit impediment he was subject to there. He had been arrested in Spain and was allowed bail on the condition he surrendered his passport and was not allowed to leave the country without permission. However it is thought that he must have two passports in his name, and went to Spain last year once the legal case against him began in the Dominican Republic.
The Prosecution Service will be asking for remand in jail as coercive measures against him in the next day or so.
http://eldia.com.do/solicitaran-medi...an-por-fraude/

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
I flew out of POP to Disseldorf Germany with a return ticket... all issued by Air Berlin.
When I was checking in for my flight back 3 days later I was asked by Air Berlin for my return ticket.to Germany.
They insisted that I must have a return ticket or the RD Immigration would not allow me entrance.
THis was the return ticket!! I came from RD!
My return ticket was to Canada from POP. But Air Berlin would not accept that scenario.
So I quoted sections of the ''Warsaw Convention'' and asked for a nice Hotel with Room Service ... while they sorted out this Interruption of an ''International Flight''.
I got my seat.
Not all Ground Crew at Checkin know the rules... She did her best ; I did my best!
I won.
I always buy a return ticket and stay to the stated date.
I always note on the blue Immigration form how long I plan to stay.
Never been refused.
There is always a first time, I guess.
And, I will not be complaining if and when it happens.
It is their Country and they can do as they like .... regardless of what we think or say.

Russell

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
My lawyer had a meeting with some immigration Pooh-Bahs directly related to the situation of overstayers being denied re-entry into the DR.

She was told:

1) The edict is specifically targeted at Venezuelans who come and go in large groups and are becoming a serious problem.

2) This should have no effect on tourist overstayers unless the person has some background issue (non-specific, I assume criminal.)

3) There should be no worries at airporst for regular tourists.

That said, I would not personally tell the immigration officer I intended to stay beyond 30 days, and I would also not state such on the immigration form.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Gary,
I have no feelings one way or another about anyone who is refused...

This thread (and forum in general) is to help travelers, residents, et al.

What would be a shame is for someone , like the thread opener here, to be blindsided by an entry refusal.
If people have read this thread they now know that 2018 is presenting different enforcement issues than other years.

Any perceived paranoia might lie in the minds of those at risk....
I would feel that way if I were subject to inspection and willingly/knowingly ignored the rules.

People will do as they wish - rightly so.

If it does nothing this, this thread may reduce the complaining about being refused.

I'm waiting for that post - what will the responses be - I wonder??

What will you say , Gary ??

"If people have read this thread they now know that 2018 is presenting different enforcement issues than other years.
"
WW, There are numerous comments here on DR1 of people who have overstayed (including by myself, regarding my son and I) stating that NOTHING has changed in 2018. Yes, the D.R. has taken a harder stance against Venezuelans and of course anyone with a criminal record but beyond that I see no changes at all. I have been finger printed in both SDQ and STI so they know perfectly well how many times I have overstayed. Regarding your question "What will you say, Gary?" If the time ever comes that I am refused entry due to an overstay I promise you I will write about it on DR1 from the airport before even boarding my exit flight if possible (I have a good Claro hot spot so no internet problems). As I have previous mentioned I have started the process for a Business Visa but this was initiated not out of fear of any overstay policy but rather because of tax breaks on certain large purchases enjoyed by a friend who has the business visa.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Garyexpat: I am well aware of how the DR enforces laws often selectively and infrequently. At times appearing random. All we can do is wait and see if things change significantly over time. It is important to be aware of what has happened already, even if there is just a small sample size of people that have been refused entry apparently and only because they overstayed previously.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Garyexpat: I am well aware of how the DR enforces laws often selectively and infrequently. At times appearing random. All we can do is wait and see if things change significantly over time. It is important to be aware of what has happened already, even if there is just a small sample size of people that have been refused entry apparently and only because they overstayed previously.

Windeguy,

I for one, do not believe ANYONE was denied entry for overstay alone.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I wish we could get the story from the Fr-Cdn couple in the other thread.....

They are the ones most of this stems from.... their denial...

Where's that thread.... their driver started it - waiting for them as he did every year.
They were never released - to my knowledge