Vanilla?

George Holmes

Nov 15, 2006
dofieldwork.blogspot.com
Vanilla is an orchid, and the beans are boiled then fermented for six months rather than roasted. The plant originates from southern Mexico, and like chocolate it was discovered by the aztecs. I hear that it grows near Maimon, in the Bonao region, but I am not sure. I have never seen the beans for sale here, which are far superior to the liquid extract.

Kimmir

Mar 7, 2007
HI I have been training in the Dominican for months and finally found the purest Vanillia I have ever tasted in the duty free shops they have both the dark and the clear pure vanillia. Both are much better than anything I can get at home. I will ask around if someone can buy it cheaper at a store for me than the duty free it was only 10.50 dollars which is pretty cheap to begin with considering the size of the bottle. You must check it in you checked baggage before though!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Caramba, froggie! Do you have some sort of notification alert set up for when people say "the Dominican"?

Cakelady

Apr 5, 2007
Any supermarket in Washington Heights, eh? Would I find real vanilla or the bottles marked "artificial vanilla flavor"? I agree with MommC. I purchased some in the DR in 1994 and it is amazing stuff! I found some "artificial" in Harlem back in 2002 and it tasted nothing like the real stuff I have at home
:<( Sure wish MommC would reveal her source....

Cakelady

Apr 5, 2007
Vanilla

Yes, I most certainly agree that any Dominican baker would know where to find the vanilla. However, I'm not a Dominican baker :<( Nor do I know a Dominican baker. Nor do I speak fluent Spanish. I am down to my last 32 ounces of vanilla. I am a housewife with a new infant daughter, unable to travel (or I would go get it myself from the markets in Puerto Plata.) I am here visiting this site...looking for help from this network of people who are sharing information, hoping to find a source to purchase the vanilla from.
Cakelady

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Cheap and Horrible

Grrrrrrrrrr.
Found one hidden by my wife...
The label says:

Extracto de Vainilla Blanca
- PURA -
Para Helados y Reposter?as
Fabricado por
LABORATORIO LA REYNA
Marcos del Rosario No. 30, Los Mina,
Tel.: 809-594-6034, Santo Domingo, R.D.

I bet you two frog legs that it is synthetic stuff.

Off, to wash my hands.... :pirate:

m'frog

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
I had to go take a look at the vainillla that I had in the fridge. It is Extracto de Vainilla REAL. it was made in Santiago. I like this vanilla better than any vanilla I have ever bought. If it is sythetic it is the best synthetic vanilla that I have ever tested.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Don't know about the labelling laws in the DR but.....

Reading your post......

Grrrrrrrrrr.
Found one hidden by my wife...
The label says:

Extracto de Vainilla Blanca
- PURA -
Para Helados y Reposter?as
Fabricado por
LABORATORIO LA REYNA
Marcos del Rosario No. 30, Los Mina,
Tel.: 809-594-6034, Santo Domingo, R.D.

I bet you two frog legs that it is synthetic stuff.

Off, to wash my hands.... :pirate:

m'frog

usually if it says PURE EXTRACT then it isn't artificial.
Also most ice creams use only a pure extract as the artificial stuff just doesn't have what it takes to make a good ice cream.....so....maybe your wife knows something you don't??

Last edited:

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
I always take 8 gallons (radk back to Canada for my brother who has a chocolate store; he says it?s the best. DELI FRUIT, found in most Supermarkets, $104 pesos / gallon

George Holmes

Nov 15, 2006
dofieldwork.blogspot.com
Artificial stuff is pure vanillin, made in a laboratory, the main flavour compound in vanilla, in a solution of acohol and others. Bit crap really, far better off with either extract, which is made by putting pure fermented pods in a solution, or the best option is to use the natural pods. Vanilla pods when fermented are black, so I would imagine that the darker stuff is better quality, as hasnt been treated to remove the colour.

WebDev

Jan 1, 2002
samana.net
Still no answer to the questions:

Where in DR is Vanilla plant growing? Also, are Vanilla beans available for purchase? Quality?

WebDev

Forgot to add:
Best Vanilla, IMHO, is from Mexico, made by Blue Cattle Truck Trading Co.

blue_cattle_vanilla.gif

Pure Mexican Vanilla is produced by the Canosa Family in the south of Mexico. Grandfather Jose Canosa established his natural Vanilla Company in 1917 after fleeing his native Spain during World War I. Registered with the FDA and coumarin free. Ingredients: Vanilla Bean extractive in purified water, 10% alcohol, corn syrup, No additives or preservatives.

WebDev

Last edited: