Living Costs in the Dominican Republic

funnykast

Jul 26, 2018
I realize this may have been discussed on this thread but I wanted to ask for opinions about living cost. Is it possible to live 'well' in Santo Domingo with about 5k USD a month? Pay a mortgage or rent a house, have maid/gardener services, send child to private school, have 2 cars, groceries, travel twice a year, etc. for a family of 3...thanks for your input. If you do not think so then how much a month is realistic?

it all depends on what your actual life style is , but 5k a month is more than enough for the things you mentioned.

Rosalia

Aug 29, 2018
I was expecting it to be way higher since I've been using the a/c quite a bit (nights, from 1 to 3 pm). On the other hand, no fans, no microwave, gas powered washer/dryer, etc.

rogerramjet1

Sep 10, 2015
My basic monthly expenses for my must haves are (in US dollars)
House ins. 80
Pers ins 120
Car ins 50
Food 400
Gas 10
Elec 70
Water 35
Gas for my car 150
Pool maint 100
Pool cleaner 80
Gardener 40
General house maint 200 average
association fees none

For my basics about 1400
Then i put my fun money on top 800 a mth
So pretty much for 25k a year i can live at a middle class level

Randle

May 9, 2019
I have visited Dominican Republic twice and I stayed for about 6 months on a research trip. It is not as easy as some make it sound here. The cost of living is pretty high. If you look up data from google and rely on it, you will be stranded before the end of your stay.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I have visited Dominican Republic twice and I stayed for about 6 months on a research trip. It is not as easy as some make it sound here. The cost of living is pretty high. If you look up data from google and rely on it, you will be stranded before the end of your stay.

Met a couple of guys who could not live on $2000 a month here, but liked wymmen and rum quite a lot. Don't know what Google says about it, but if you have $2000 a month it will carry a couple quite well.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Cost you about $1500 to bring one from Miami.

You’ve obviously never imported a car to DR. We paid more than that just for the first license plates (plus the shipping and the aduana cost, and we had a very substantial one-time discount for returning Dominican).

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
You’ve obviously never imported a car to DR. We paid more than that just for the first license plates (plus the shipping and the aduana cost, and we had a very substantial one-time discount for returning Dominican).

No I haven't took two to Panama though. Figured this would be about the same.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Met a couple of guys who could not live on $2000 a month here, but liked wymmen and rum quite a lot. Don't know what Google says about it, but if you have $2000 a month it will carry a couple quite well.

2000 a month for two people? …I hope you mean rent.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
2000 a month for two people? …I hope you mean rent.

Rent is lass than 10% of that. I pay $160 and get air conditioning and hot water in the bath etc... Also get big juicy spiders at times, but who is to say hey wouldn't strut arond in an expensive house. 95% of the people in this country live on less than $2000 per month!

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Rent is lass than 10% of that. I pay $160 and get air conditioning and hot water in the bath etc... Also get big juicy spiders at times, but who is to say hey wouldn't strut arond in an expensive house. 95% of the people in this country live on less than $2000 per month!

No soup for you! Just plantains and rice.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Every Saturday my wife and I go veggie and fruit shopping at a local stand. Price per week for all cost between 700-1300 pesos and that feeds four adults and the maid. Chicken costs another 300-500 per week, We aren't too big on restaurants or eating pork and beef so thats it. This time of year we can buy three pineapples for 100 pesos, so it is pretty cheap to be a vegetarian here if you like Dominican veggies. My wife gives her mother 10,000 pesos a month to buy food supplies and she manages to get cooking gas....etc out of that without problems, so added up a generous figure would be around 20,000 pesos per month for food. We don't pay rent as we own and do our own maintenance. Water is 650 pesos a month, electricity is around 1600 pesos per month. We have both hot water and a/c. My biggest month expense is gas for my Santa Fe and that is only about 8000 max a month.

Randle

May 9, 2019

$2000 a month should be more than enough if you are there for serious stuff. But if you go on vacation, you need more to enjoy the tourist centers. If you like women, you will spend even more.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I would love to know how people have AC and hot water and pay RD$1600 a month for Luz. Unless they also have solar panels or are on one of those old meters with a fixed tariff.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
$2000 a month should be more than enough if you are there for serious stuff. But if you go on vacation, you need more to enjoy the tourist centers. If you like women, you will spend even more.

Got a cleaning lady who comes Tues and Fridays. She is puilling off her clothes as she walks in the door. I like women. 800 pesos a time I pay her for cleaning, other activities are free as they should be. Been here since January this time, gonna stay for my funeral I believe.
Derfish

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I would love to know how people have AC and hot water and pay RD$1600 a month for Luz. Unless they also have solar panels or are on one of those old meters with a fixed tariff.

I have asked the landlady to see the bill, but she says "We decided on 800 pesos for la luz, right?" So I give her the 800 pesos monthly. That is $16.00 not pesos at 1600. It hasn't been that hot this year as yet, not really. I keep it on for 2 maybe 3 hours and then flick it off.
Derfish

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
No need for a stroke since it evens out when it's time to sell

Albondigos go into the soup quite often, 3 eggs for breakfast every morning. Lots of burgers and fries as well as fish out at Martina's twice a week at 440 pesos. Love it here.