Living Costs in the Dominican Republic

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
We were in the Algarve a month ago. I love the climate, warm no too warm, during the day and 14_16 degrees at night. Fresh fish every day, roasted sardines. Good wines. Amazing cheap indeed.

That is exactly what other friends have told me.
Just looking for some time and we are off to see.
I am about done with the DR and could never live here for any extended time.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
…..Fish seriously you can lower your risk of stroke or heart attack by taking a drug like Atorvastatin(reduces plaque build up in arteries)..and taking a low dose 81 M.G.aspirin once a day...…….

Newest recommendation is no aspirin unless you have had a previous heart attack and the fish oil properties are coming under suspicion.
I eat sardines and believe I feel better when eating them on a regular basis. Probably suggestion at work but it seems real
Not exactly any science in how I feel though.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
We were in the Algarve a month ago. I love the climate, warm no too warm, during the day and 14_16 degrees at night. Fresh fish every day, roasted sardines. Good wines. Amazing cheap indeed.

I have heard the climate described as like San Diego. I am tired of sweating and not having central ac everywhere.
Spoiled gringo.
I have had a good number of people tell me you get used to the heat in the DR.
Never happened to me. I did get used to sweaty and sticky all the time. It became normal but never good.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I have never met a healthy vegetarian and most of my family chooses that affliction. My sister died at age 65 of colon cancer, having been a vegetarian since 17 years old. She thought she was being healthy! I got a friend who is a total carnivore, and he is older than she was! One is going to live as long as one lives, and then it is over. Every month some 'new healthiest diet ever' comes out. Stuff them all, eat what one likes, and be happy about it.
Derfish

I used to go into Health food stores to buy creatine and protein powder.
Some of the sickest people I ever saw where in those stores.
I do not think one can eat their way to health.
I try to stay thin and exercise a lot.
The stay thin is the hardest part.
Lots of gyms in the DR and not expensive unless you have to have a tony upscale place.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002

Just curious Zoom, How long have you lived in the DR?

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
DR is just overrated. The hasle you have in that country for that kind of money? No way, south of Spain or Algarve or Tenerife.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I have heard the climate described as like San Diego. I am tired of sweating and not having central ac everywhere.
Spoiled gringo.
I have had a good number of people tell me you get used to the heat in the DR.
Never happened to me. I did get used to sweaty and sticky all the time. It became normal but never good.

Come on dude, you can get used to hanging if you hang long enuff! After while they don't kick and scream or nuthin, they just hang there. Got used to it I always figured.
Derfish

Polar Bear

Jun 23, 2011
That one person has only met a small subset of people does not mean that there are not tons of healthy vegetarians. There are millions with more seeing the benefits and aiming towards giving up meat, dairy, etc...

There are many and an increasing number of famous vegetarians, vegans, etc, in sports and elsewhere in the public eye. Arnold, Bill Clinton, all kinds of top level athletes. Watch out for new documentary "Game Changers" coming soon.

I have never met a healthy vegetarian and most of my family chooses that affliction. My sister died at age 65 of colon cancer, having been a vegetarian since 17 years old. She thought she was being healthy! I got a friend who is a total carnivore, and he is older than she was! One is going to live as long as one lives, and then it is over. Every month some 'new healthiest diet ever' comes out. Stuff them all, eat what one likes, and be happy about it.
Derfish
But the WFPB diet is vegan! They think they cracked the code and are going to live longer, but most don't even know about taking vitamins that are deficient in their diet. This all started as an animal rights fad, not a healthy diet. Going out to eat and getting salads all the time gets tiring quickly as not many cater to these people in DR.

Vegans are but a smaller subgroup of Vegetarians and all those that eat "junk food" versions of "vegetarian" or vegan foods aren't really going to see the benefits of those following a Whole Foods, Plant Based (WFPB) life or way of eating.

Anyway...feel free to enjoy what you like. :D :p

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
The less you eat the better. Once a day is enough, but top quality fish, meat, chicken (we buy a Bresse Gauloise every saturday) . When you have a healthy dieet go to Mac, Pizzahut, Kentucky. I spare you the details when I did it one day a few months ago.
I personally dont believe in the vega hype .....

Polar Bear

Jun 23, 2011
The less you eat the better. Once a day is enough, but top quality fish, meat, chicken (we buy a Bresse Gauloise every saturday) . When you have a healthy dieet go to Mac, Pizzahut, Kentucky. I spare you the details when I did it one day a few months ago.
I personally dont believe in the vega hype .....
Me either but I'm also not too worried about what others choose although I'm more than willing to elbow them towards "the right" direction lol for the benefit of their health. :bunny:

69148599_2388887651207911_3127208247048536064_n.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
That one person has only met a small subset of people does not mean that there are not tons of healthy vegetarians. There are millions with more seeing the benefits and aiming towards giving up meat, dairy, etc...

There are many and an increasing number of famous vegetarians, vegans, etc, in sports and elsewhere in the public eye. Arnold, Bill Clinton, all kinds of top level athletes. Watch out for new documentary "Game Changers" coming soon.

Vegans are but a smaller subgroup of Vegetarians and all those that eat "junk food" versions of "vegetarian" or vegan foods aren't really going to see the benefits of those following a Whole Foods, Plant Based (WFPB) life or way of eating.

Anyway...feel free to enjoy what you like. :D :p

There are almost as many Seventh Day Adventists as there are atheists, and if they were living longer more productive lines than the rest of us who aren't following the advice of one who was hit in the head by a rock and started having hallucinations we'd all hear about it. There are diets of every type. Every few months a new book comes along telling us something different.

Polar Bear

Jun 23, 2011
And they're healthy vegetarians...

I'm always, still....amazed at people that think changing their diet is too drastic but will take handfuls of pills and have surgery like it's nothing.

To each their own...

Enjoy your life...I do mine ;)

There are almost as many Seventh Day Adventists as there are atheists, and if they were living longer more productive lines than the rest of us who aren't following the advice of one who was hit in the head by a rock and started having hallucinations we'd all hear about it. There are diets of every type. Every few months a new book comes along telling us something different.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
And they're healthy vegetarians...

I'm always, still....amazed at people that think changing their diet is too drastic but will take handfuls of pills and have surgery like it's nothing.

To each their own...

Enjoy your life...I do mine ;)

Maybe a few of them are healthy. But don't know where they are.

Ramen

Jul 1, 2019
Always a new book and a group of new doctors pushing for a diet or way of life. If one really wants to be healthy, I suggest reading and understanding studies centered on nutrition. The videos and documentaries are often pushing an agenda for ethical or monetary reasons. Arnold Schwarzenegger got big and strong eating eggs and bacon while blasting steroids.

From the Adventist group, those who ate fish were the healthiest of the bunch. Plus their definition of vegetarian/vegan includes consuming eggs or meat at least once a month or so.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
The latest fad is Beyond Meat. Processed plant based fibre mixed with additives to give it a meat taste. The burgers are available at certain fast food franchises. The value of Beyond Meat stock rose about 400% once they gained acceptance at fast food franchises and their products are now available in major grocery food chains. Independent research has shown that their products are so highly processed, they are similar to dog food products, don’t aid in weight reduction, and can cause medical problems over the long term.