Living Costs in the Dominican Republic

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
I went to see the new X men for $3.00 my rent in a goog place is $200
Now I just bought a 2005 neason moreano and it cost me $ 8500
As you can see some things are stupid high but some are a great deal.
Santo Domingo is Miami would never live there. I don't want to pay like ccccccccccccc & AZB!!!!

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
with $1,000 you will rent a PALACE in Santiago...

You won't get PALACE in with $1k.
Maybe BIG old house or recently built apartment or further out from the center but not a palace.
I am looking for somewhat recently built house in gated community near our son's school for around that much.
And I started asking around and it looks like closer you are from center of it all, more expensive it gets.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Maybe BIG old house or recently built apartment or further out from the center but not a palace.
I am looking for somewhat recently built house in gated community near our son's school for around that much.
And I started asking around and it looks like closer you are from center of it all, more expensive it gets.

Can you give us a sense of the prices in various areas. That would be extremely helpful.

airgordo

Bronze
Jun 24, 2015

what is the center of Santiago for you then? LOL, 1K is a HUGE amount of money to pay rent in Santiago.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
what is the center of Santiago for you then? LOL, 1K is a HUGE amount of money to pay rent in Santiago.

I don't know your standard of palace is...

Yes, it is huge amount of money and could get a very good big house but I wouldn't call it a palace.
With about US$1000, more or less, you can probably rent US$500k somewhat recently built non furnished houses, which I think is the starting point of lujo.
My palace in Santiago would have to fit in US$1 mil+, 5+ bedrooms, 5+ bath. big ass pool, and etc... and it would be difficult to find a house to rent for US$1000.
If you know or can hook me up to find a somewhat recently built house for under US$1000 on eastern part of the town that has 24 hour security.
Let me know, I would don't have time these days but I will find time for that.
I am sick of hearing our neighbor's washing machine and the smell of rabbits dropping.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Can you give us a sense of the prices in various areas. That would be extremely helpful.

My "palace" in Sosua is an honest one-bedroom with a decent kitchen and hot water, which I installed. I pay approx. RD$700 for electricity per month. I have 24/7 security. I pay RD$12,000 a month.

Anywhere I would like to live in the US (NY, Boston) or elsewhere in the world (Paris, Israel) I couldn't EVEN come close. I can't afford to live anywhere else.

I also LIKE living here.

May 29, 2006
An apt for $RD 12,000 month here would be around $US 1200 in my hometown. There is a lot of room between living in the barrio and having AC, high speed internet and an SUV. Our last apt was $RD 6000/month with tile floors, a cistern, and electric except during business hours. Our next place is new construction with 24hr electric, cable included for $RD 8000 and we're renting our casita for $RD 3000, so 5000 net.

CRL2017

Apr 25, 2017
I realize this may have been discussed on this thread but I wanted to ask for opinions about living cost. Is it possible to live 'well' in Santo Domingo with about 5k USD a month? Pay a mortgage or rent a house, have maid/gardener services, send child to private school, have 2 cars, groceries, travel twice a year, etc. for a family of 3...thanks for your input. If you do not think so then how much a month is realistic?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I realize this may have been discussed on this thread but I wanted to ask for opinions about living cost. Is it possible to live 'well' in Santo Domingo with about 5k USD a month? Pay a mortgage or rent a house, have maid/gardener services, send child to private school, have 2 cars, groceries, travel twice a year, etc. for a family of 3...thanks for your input. If you do not think so then how much a month is realistic?

Yes, 5k a month should be enough to live comfortably, but of course, it all depends on what your actual life style is and what amenities you want. That being said that amount should be fine for 3 people. Hopefully others who actually live in SD will give you more direction as to where to live, etc. Good luck and good travels.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
CRL2017,

Your amount is reasonable for many places in this country. Keep your true ability to pay to yourself when discussing your needs with merchants, real estate agents, car lots etc. From the start you are considered a rich foreigner so the prices quoted to you are going to be higher than they should be. Most things here become a negotiation very quickly.

You'll need to decide early on exactly how you are going to define "live well". Food can be expensive here if you insist on name brand products you are familiar with, especially canned and jarred food. High end appliances are usually more expensive than they are worth and are not usually manufactured in the US but in countries such as Mexico and China. I find cars insanely expensive for what you get unless you stumble upon a deal.

Electricity can be expensive if you rely on AC frequently. Based on your needs, it can cost a lot when you arrive to get yourself set up. I seemed to bleed money for about a year until I was able to get things just the way I wanted them. Your budget is higher than many but less than some.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Based on my family size (3 but at times 4) and living in Santo Domingo (pretty much the same as the poster) 5k you can live comfortable depending on what area you choose to live in. 2 cars as WW said may be pushing your budget. Santo Domingo is more expensive than some of the other areas in DR. Private school ( did that) was about $1550 give or take but there were extra's during the year. In the end it is about what area you want to be in and what you consider "well". Groceries (if you like imported products, etc..) costs us about $325-$375 every 2 weeks with money also spent weekly on misc items. Maid/gardener should be no problem (get references). Traveling twice a year, I guess it would depend on where you were looking to travel to. And always keep in mind that unexpected expenses always come up....

CRL2017

Apr 25, 2017
CRL2017,

Your amount is reasonable for many places in this country. Keep your true ability to pay to yourself when discussing your needs with merchants, real estate agents, car lots etc. From the start you are considered a rich foreigner so the prices quoted to you are going to be higher than they should be. Most things here become a negotiation very quickly.

You'll need to decide early on exactly how you are going to define "live well". Food can be expensive here if you insist on name brand products you are familiar with, especially canned and jarred food. High end appliances are usually more expensive than they are worth and are not usually manufactured in the US but in countries such as Mexico and China. I find cars insanely expensive for what you get unless you stumble upon a deal.

Electricity can be expensive if you rely on AC frequently. Based on your needs, it can cost a lot when you arrive to get yourself set up. I seemed to bleed money for about a year until I was able to get things just the way I wanted them. Your budget is higher than many but less than some.

Thank you. I have family in SD who are Dominican so I would rely on them for the negotiation part - LOL. I have moved to many different places around the globe with my work and am keeping in mind the amount of money that flies out the window just to 'settle in.' I would have that saved separately; not included in the monthly budget or the car payment either. thanks for the feedback!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
If you are all like me, you're going to have a stroke when you see the asking prices for vehicles here.

Buena suerte