Merengues como de los 80 de regreso?

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Lo siento, pero hay que ser realista : la bachata no sirve... Los lyrics son de muy mala calidad y los ritmos realmente desagradable... Por eso los unicos que disfrutan de este genero inferior son los borachos y los analfabetas...

Hablando del reggaeton, que mas se puede decir : solamente traten de escuchar 1 mn de Daddy Yankee para darse cuenta del disparate...

Ahora, no se equivoquen sobre mis criticas, ya que creo que la epoca es un poco esteril en cuento a musica en general...

hatuey13

Jul 7, 2006
www.myspace.com
la verdad que toda musica tiene su publico incluso el merengue de la calle...pero esos son merengues de momentos,,que deben y pasaran de popularidad.....eso lo se,.....a veces la musica se inclina a eventos y hechos del pasado y eso pasara cuando los merengueros piensen en esa epoca de oro...trataran de sacar un merengue mejor realizado en general.....diferente pero con la misma chispa que atrajo a millares de personas a bailar y escuchar eso merengues

hatuey13

Jul 7, 2006
www.myspace.com
Ya se esta oyendo el cambio en el merengue...poco a poco.....elnuevo cd del cuco rosario es un ejemplo..mas otras bandas lo cuales no suenan tanto por falta de plata $$$$

Rafael Perez

Oct 21, 2007
La verdad que me encantaria volver a escuchar merengues buenos en general....no solo uno o dos como ahora...quiero que fernandito me cante merengues......como antes..cero baladas para el mayimbe...por igual Alex Bueno..ta bueno de bachata mi querido amigo.....queremos merengue como La Colegiala....son buenos en baladas..pero los necesitamos mas en merengue...y merengue pegajosos como lo de al principio de sus carreras..por igual wilfrido mi hermano......regresa con tu estilo de antes.....donde esta metido el maestro Dionis Fernandez...lo quiero ver al mando de una orquesta..como Usted sabe hacerlo......Oi por ahi que Sandy Reyes regresa....perosonalmente vi en el Bronx a Charlie Rodriguez.....el cantante aquel que pego muchas canciones incluyendo las famosas canciones : el guardia del arsenal, Los dise?adores (ft. Sergio Vargas) , Cal y Arena, Mina de amor, papelito y mas.......Por ahi esta Aramis Camilo que deberia de regresar a tocar merengue normal no tipico...oi que Dimanchy viene con nueva produccion.....El que realmente no creo que regresara es nuestro querido Zafiro lo cual esta perdido.....en los vicios....mi gente se que el merengue volvera...crecera ahora en el 1007 y mas en el 2008 pq vienen con fuerza esos merengueros y los que todavia estan...como los rosario, to?o, fernando, rubby perez, heddy herrera, Alex Bueno y mas..tienen ese compromiso con el pueblo...
Primo, no te olvides a jhonny fernandez que viva el merengue y bachata!!!!!!:classic:

Rafael Perez

Oct 21, 2007
Hoy en dia, el buen merengue esta muerto. Solamente queda la basura, y en cantidad !!!

Cada ves que escucho algo de los 80's, me quedo asumbrado de como un genero musical interesante se volvio un disparate completo...

Para musica latina de calidad, solo queda la salsa, o tal ves el son cubano...

lamentablemente, estoy de acuerdo contigo. A veces me da coraje.

Rafael Perez

Oct 21, 2007
Musica con letra hoy en dia nada mas esta la bachata. Unfortunately merengue as we know it is dead.
That's just your opinion. For many people, merengue is still well and alive!!
merengue will NEVER die!!

It is considered " dead" by some " viejucos, anticuados". What makes music is just that" music", the melody, not just lyrics, just like Bethoven, Bach, Mozart, Chopin and other masters of classical music.

Merengue is a complex genre, that requires skills to compose(the music), due to its instruments ( trumpets, saxophones, keyboard,bajo, tambora, g?ira). Not like porquerias like reggaeton, the same monotomous beat that any chimp can make in a computer.

We got talented composers like Chevalier, who has composed to many artists, no surprise that their cd's have become hits in the '90's.

one theme is Ricky Castro's " hazme coro". I pay attention to the saxophones, the trumpets, the tambora", and I think to myself " dayum ! this is music ! this guy is a genius composing this! this is hard!

See, I view music in that angle, not just " lyrics". Unfortunately, "lyrics" is not a Dominican talent, Mexicans have the crown for that, people like Juan Gabriel, Marco Antonio Solis, etc, but Dominicans are blessed with tremendous MAMBO ! , and that makes up for it. You go to clubs all over the world, Europe, Japan, India, Africa, Australia, and you'll hear Dominican merengue music !!!

If is so porqueria? why they play it then?

btw, about 1/3 of 80's merengues were " fusilajes". People like Ruby Perez, how many fusilajes can you count from him alone? " merengue fusilados" sound " pretty", but THEY ARE NOT DOMINICAN!

I'll rather listen to a well composed merengue from a Dominican with lots of mambo, than one with lyrics copied from Laura Pausini, Man?,Ricardo Montaner, and others.

Very rare that other nationlaities copy from Dominican lyrics, like Mexico's Garibaldi copying songs written for Sergio Vargas ( la ventanita).

Conclusion: lyrics are very hard to come by, you gotta have " muchos hierros"( lots of talent) in order to come out with a good piece. DR is not the powerhouse of this, but is the powerhouse of MAMBO !!!

and is not just " regular merengue", we also have merengue tipico a.k.a perico ripiao. with artists like Krisspy, aguacate, Robert Vargas, Yovany Polanco, that give it a " modern callejero twist". They have revived perico, sparking interest in the youth. Perico Ripiao used to be viewed as " some hick music, of campesinos brutos y super machistas), these guys have given it a new dimension.

Primo, yo tampoco me gusta el reggaeton. pero hay que repetar el perico ripiao porque that keeps you moving!!!

SuperConejo

Mar 30, 2007
The 80s merengues might have more lyrics, but nothing beats raw countryside merengue, real perico ripiao, merengue redondo merengue palo echao and all the countryside varieties which are still played. Usually with an insturment that merengue bands no longer seem to you the Marimba or Marimbula. I wonder if anyone has any recordings of hte most original form of merengue in the countryside? I still havent heard merengue played with a Tres Guitar, guira tambora and marimba.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I believe Mambo should get a classification aside from Merengue, it is a byproduct yes, but it is completely different of the essence of Merengue, Mambo is having good times but Merengue as Eddy Herrera songs is going down hard, the last Merenguero who made an impact in the DR was El Jeffrey and after 2 records he hasnt done much. They all think merengue songs should be about love, and that kind of Merengue bores people, thats why Merengue has to evolve, as somebody said it, it needs creative writers and a way to have a contagious rythm without beeing a sole Mambo. With that being said I love to hear Omega, Tulile, Dekite, El Sujeto but that is not Merengue that is Mambo and the Merengue nneds to resurge. Puerto Rico has goods singers as Joseph Fonseca and Elvis Crespo but they all went down too. I hope something gets done with it because Merengue is the Dominican default music and critical part of our history.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
I don't know why they are using Mambo to describe a certain kind of merengue nowadays because "mambo" is a Cuban music and rhythm style that evolved into salsa. anywho things are always changing and I am glad that perico ripia or tipico is so popular now and its wonderful how this rhythm never really loses popularity, I love tipico and there are many good bands out there playing it. Its funny to me to see my teenage kids and neices and nephews so into tipico, El Prodigio, Giovanni Polanco, my son downloads Tatico Enriquez, Agapito Pascual, Arsenio de la Rosa, King de la Rosa, etc.

SuperConejo

Mar 30, 2007
Mambo is not just a cuban word, its a general bantu word used in countries that imported slaves from the central-region of africa. So Mambo has been in d.r for a very long time. In Haiti a Mambo is a priestess of Vodoun. But yeah tipico is definetly makin a come back, but i think too many instruments kills the music, like whats the point of the drumset? the Tambora is and sometimes the Conga sounds good, but with a drumset its just too much. I'm old skool minded i guess, i like the oldest forms of merengue still played on the countryside, theres lots of youtubube videos of these. i have a recording of a tipico song recorded in the Santiago countryside decades ago, and it sounds hot!, its called Canto de Hacha, juan luis guerra modified hte song and sped it up a bit, but nevertheless the original is kick-ass.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Ok, we have 3 forms of Merengue :

Merengue Tipico: This is the first form of Merengue that Trujillo helped launch, first played in the countryside, now is very popular in El Cibao area, in Santo Domingo is almost non-existant aside from some Krispy hits. Actual Performers are Fefita la Grande, Jovanny Polanco, Kerubanda, El Cieguito de Nagua, Krisppy.

Merengue Romantico "Tradicional": Kind of ironic because the traditional one should be the "Tipico". This is the kind of merengue that bloom in the 80's with interpreters like Fernandito Villalona, Sergio Vargas, Dionis Fernandez band, Aramis Camilo, El Zafiro, Eddy Herrera, Alex Bueno (what a voice, what a waste), Wilfrido Vargas circa 1980, Juan Luis Guerra should fit in here but have its differences. Some actual performers are Sergio Vargas, El Jeffrey (he is a little more aggresive in his beat), Rubby Perez.

Merengue Rapido or Mambo: This one was first introduced by Johnny Ventura in the late 70's with its rapid beat merengue's that became so popular with the people, then it was reinforced with the Pochy Familia y su Coco Band, this kind of merengue is instrumental and have some lirycs but its main focus is the rapid beat that follows it, it is suited for fast dancing. It kept evolving with performers like "Oro Solido" with its very aggresive form of merengue and lacks of lyrics, then it appeared "Nelson de la Olla" and "Tulile". By that point the Mambo was deforming merengue so much, that I think it would have been good to set it as a different genre, the ice of the cake was with the appearance of Moreno Negron and its hit "Pajaro Malo" that was the first merengue to be made completely in a computer with the software Fruity Loops and after that you know the history with "Omega" and "El Sujeto" and a couple of more that will try it.

I enjoy Mambo, but it is not Merengue and I am really craving for some good and sticky merengue. I find El Jeffrey style very appealing because he have an aggresive beat but sings romantic songs, which makes it good to hear it in a radio and to dance it on the Disco.

Edit: Forget to say this but, wow Superconejo you really know your stuff.

htdeals

Nov 9, 2007
Very good postings guys, I could not agree more with ExtremeR.
Mambo is ok but it lacks longevity in peoples minds. I can't imagine anyone 20 years in the future remembering "La Vaca" or (anything by "mala fe" for that matter). On the other hand, I still dream of the days when we had house parties in DR. Everybody showed up with an LP. El Zafiro, Alex Bueno, Aramis, Dionis Fernandez, Anibal Bravo, you name it.....
All of them merengueros had several hits that " no podian faltar" in a house party.
It was great to dance "la colegiala" bien pegaito con your favorite girl!!!
I know this are different times now, but I'm still confident that merenge, the real one, is coming back. Hopefully I'll be still around to enjoy it.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
I know the owner of a little club in Brooklyn and he told me he's gonna have classic 80's merengue on Dec. 30th so if anyone is interested you can call
718-573-3296 - there might be a cover charge.
He opens at 8pm

990 Broadway
Brooklyn
about a block away from Myrtle Avenue under the elevated train.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
La verdad que me encantaria volver a escuchar merengues buenos en general....no solo uno o dos como ahora...quiero que fernandito me cante merengues......como antes..cero baladas para el mayimbe...por igual Alex Bueno..ta bueno de bachata mi querido amigo.....queremos merengue como La Colegiala....son buenos en baladas..pero los necesitamos mas en merengue...y merengue pegajosos como lo de al principio de sus carreras..por igual wilfrido mi hermano......regresa con tu estilo de antes.....donde esta metido el maestro Dionis Fernandez...lo quiero ver al mando de una orquesta..como Usted sabe hacerlo......Oi por ahi que Sandy Reyes regresa....perosonalmente vi en el Bronx a Charlie Rodriguez.....el cantante aquel que pego muchas canciones incluyendo las famosas canciones : el guardia del arsenal, Los dise?adores (ft. Sergio Vargas) , Cal y Arena, Mina de amor, papelito y mas.......Por ahi esta Aramis Camilo que deberia de regresar a tocar merengue normal no tipico...oi que Dimanchy viene con nueva produccion.....El que realmente no creo que regresara es nuestro querido Zafiro lo cual esta perdido.....en los vicios....mi gente se que el merengue volvera...crecera ahora en el 1007 y mas en el 2008 pq vienen con fuerza esos merengueros y los que todavia estan...como los rosario, to?o, fernando, rubby perez, heddy herrera, Alex Bueno y mas..tienen ese compromiso con el pueblo...

Traigo la contraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!

Tabaco y Ron!! That was the song in the LP that gave Fernandito the moniker of "EL MAYIMBE" till this day...

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Lucky me I bought all (and I mean almost all) of those old songs from a collector.
I have songs that have never seen a radio...
I can still remember a day when I was at a popular Restauran/Karaokee place in Queens of a friend and was placing some songs to his HDD so they could blast them on the speakers, when the Mayimbe just waked by us and sat in a table. I played a song that was recorded live when he sang at a festival de La Voz in early 1970's hosted by el Maestro Rafael Solano. I played the song and he went ballistic with tears on his eyes!! He told me that song "nobody" could find it live but only on his first recording at 12 years old!!!
I copied the song to him in a CD and put it up in the Net for download!

He sang with the voice of a child...

The song was "Lagrimas para un recuerdo".

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Very good postings guys, I could not agree more with ExtremeR.
Mambo is ok but it lacks longevity in peoples minds. I can't imagine anyone 20 years in the future remembering "La Vaca" or (anything by "mala fe" for that matter). On the other hand, I still dream of the days when we had house parties in DR. Everybody showed up with an LP. El Zafiro, Alex Bueno, Aramis, Dionis Fernandez, Anibal Bravo, you name it.....
All of them merengueros had several hits that " no podian faltar" in a house party.
It was great to dance "la colegiala" bien pegaito con your favorite girl!!!
I know this are different times now, but I'm still confident that merenge, the real one, is coming back. Hopefully I'll be still around to enjoy it.

Noches de Brujerias, Tabaco y Ron, Si yo tuviera un Palacio, Colorao, La asesina, Filete, Sorbito de Champagne, La varita, El Jardinero, too many to list !!!;)

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Yo tambien....

Lucky me I bought all (and I mean almost all) of those old songs from a collector.
I have songs that have never seen a radio...
I can still remember a day when I was at a popular Restauran/Karaokee place in Queens of a friend and was placing some songs to his HDD so they could blast them on the speakers, when the Mayimbe just waked by us and sat in a table. I played a song that was recorded live when he sang at a festival de La Voz in early 1970's hosted by el Maestro Rafael Solano. I played the song and he went ballistic with tears on his eyes!! He told me that song "nobody" could find it live but only on his first recording at 12 years old!!!
I copied the song to him in a CD and put it up in the Net for download!

He sang with the voice of a child...

The song was "Lagrimas para un recuerdo".
YO tambien tengo mas merengue de los 80's que el diablazooooo!!.

I have a friend in Queens who used to buy those merengues as soon as they left the "factory".

Then me, being the "avibato" that I am, used to take them home and record them on cassettes......Then to CD's.

I lost count how many songs I have.....If I have to estimate, I'll say close to 2,000.....Everything from Jochy Hernandez's to Anibal Bravo, to Bonny Cepeda, to Aramis Camilo y la Organizacion Secreta, to Henry Garcia...

Shyt, I even have some "Musiquito" songs, for the love of God!!. LOL.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
De verdad

I have really enjoyed this thread.

Educationally yours,

M
Is that so?....Wellllll, if you don't have enough 80's merengues, send me a PM and perhaps Santa can do something about that.....BUUUUUT only if you were a good boy, whahahaha!.