Merengues como de los 80 de regreso?

hatuey13

Jul 7, 2006
www.myspace.com
hey don't get me wrong..i know i'm an oldies fan......but i do like some of our nowadays merengue....and theres a few merengue that i'm not so exited to hear them but yes to dance it......i've been to dominican clubs where girls go wild on nowadays merengue de calle.....but they barely dance the whole song....they say it's too fast and sometimes last too much....but it's not really that they are long it;s because it's beat goes on and on and on..too fast......same beat on and on........and fast will drive u crazy....i'm a merengue fan in general....i do have Omega y su mambo violento...julian..tulile and a few others songs...but truth is...almost everyone including nowadyas generation want some changes to our merengue....well.....i think merengue de calle will be on...ofcourse but more traditional music like Sergio vargas...will start to boom......i'm not saying it'll be the same as the 80's maybe things will get better...who knows...there better sound...more instruments.....another thing i would love to see is the merengue bands top actually dance there merengue...i don't want them just standing there singing......we pay at the clubs not only for them to sing and make us dance but to give us a show which includes...coreografia......check out how tito kenton dances in his band....very good......there a merenguero de calle..moreno negron..they have pretty good choreography...i saw them this saturday...it was pretty good....but the truth is...everyone wanted them out fast...ppl were exited to see them.....but they wanted to dance more to regular merengue and bachata....i was there and it was packed of the new generation of dominicans........in El Tropical of Passaic NJ...and moreno negron are one of the best in merengue de calle..han pegado chicho riso y mas....people where dancing to there songs..a lot but .when they left the dance floor was more crowded...they were playing merengue pero no de calle, salsa and bachata

Last edited:

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Did anyone see Santo Domingo Invita in the tristate area last Sunday?? There was a band playing with four young males in their 20's, who had such nice coreography, I didn't catch the name and I had never seen them before. The lead singer sang the merengue version of princesa, the one that Frank Reyes sings. They were very nicely dressed and very neat and clean cut. Hatuey you would have like them except that they sang songs taken from other artists. They have potential. I'm sorry I didn't get the name.

hatuey13

Jul 7, 2006
www.myspace.com
sometimes bands have exellent qualities..but don't have the talent to write...or don't look for good writers..or can't afford to pay for a good song....or maybe their record label just don't let them use their own stuff...who knows...but yeah i bet i would of loved that band....can u find out for me their names..maybe i know them....thats a big problem with our merengueros.....fusilan mas canciones quel carajo....we should start to be unique.....que escriban sus propias canciones...o busquen un buen escritor.....i have a friend he writes songs.....and he does it as a hobbie.....he is so good that he wrote Giro ;a cancion "mi nostalgia"....un salsero boricua. "mi Nostalgia" was a latin grammy nominee song a few years ago....i played basketball and hanged out with this guy and he is not known....i don't think the dominican newspaper even knew it was his song....so....i know theres talent through out the country......en todo lo sentido para comenzar hacer buen merengue......merengue pensados......con cualquier tema....i love that merengue de los toros band...loca conmigo.......que dice..."soy dominicano y no conozco punta cana pero si aprendi a saber como se habla...yo solo se que tu te vuelves loca conmigo....." that song is a blast....moderna...a estos tiempos..instrumentalmente exelente...buen sonido....las letras exquisitas......escritas por un dominicano....waso brazoban i think wrote it..esa cancion es una creacion totalmente nueva...thats what's missing en el merengue...creatividad

hatuey13

Jul 7, 2006
www.myspace.com
if the merengue is supposed to change year by year...by 2010 we won't have merengue..it will be something else....then they will start eliminating instruments ...who knows......we just want our merengue to stand up in a good way in general....que se oiga por todo el mundo que se baile en todas las discos como antes......y se que se puede.....

hatuey13

Jul 7, 2006
www.myspace.com
Info sacada de REMOLACHA.NET

"?El Casandra revivir? los 80's?
Joan Guerrero / Santo Domingo
Seg?n lo comentado en un art?culo en El Caribe, quienes est?n dentro de la producci?n del magno certamen -encabezada por Aidita Selman-, piensan hacer realizar un homenaje a la carrera musical de Dioni Fern?ndez, y a la ?poca dorada del merengue: los 80's.

Uno de los momentos m?s emotivos para este premio ser?a el que se realizar?a en homenaje a la trayectoria de Dioni Fern?ndez, pianista y director de la desaparecida orquesta El Equipo, agrupaci?n que tuvo su ?poca dorada en la d?cada de los 80 y por la cual desfilaron figuras como Sergio Vargas, Pablito Mart?nez, Charlie Rodr?guez y otros cantantes destacados del merengue."

u guys think Mala Fe...o Julian seran homenajeados en el futuro??

bilijou

Jun 13, 2006
hatuey said:
if the merengue is supposed to change year by year...by 2010 we won't have merengue..it will be something else....then they will start eliminating instruments ...who knows......we just want our merengue to stand up in a good way in general....que se oiga por todo el mundo que se baile en todas las discos como antes......y se que se puede.....

Dominicans are very proud of merengue. So much so that even though it has gone through huge transformations, which in any other country would entail the birth of a completely new genre, we still call it merengue. It has changed instruments, tempo, style many many times. Merengue has been around for 150 years? the original guitar-based merengue is completely different from the orchestra-style one during Trujillo. Merengue?s right after Trujillo (60?s-70?s) have more of an African presence and more mambo. The 80?s and 90?s were just more transformations the genre went though?

Yea? Merengue de los 80?s is probably the Golden Age, but I don?t want to see Fernandito, Alex Bueno, Zafiro or Sergio as the front men of the genre in the 2010?s. I want innovation, the next transformation in Merengue, with new people, with a new style, new instruments?

hatuey13

Jul 7, 2006
www.myspace.com
i don't care who's in the front of any bands in the future..i just want merengue to be as strong as it was......by the way.....Las Chicas del Can are back! but with new faces.....they say they will sing old chicas del can's songs and will have a few new ones....then they will entirely bring a new album......they say they are trying to have the same quality of work but with a different style....good luck to them!!

hatuey13

Jul 7, 2006
www.myspace.com
thanks M.A.R....they look nice...very attractive ladies....but hope their music is as good as their looks....someone told me that already in Sto Dgo radio stations they are playing una de sus canciones......estoy ancioso por oirlas....

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
Las chicas del can you got to be kidding me!!!

Hatuey...it's the modern style merengue that makes the old school merengue still attractive to listen to, what your missing hat...is, that calle music has always been around even in the 80's, who were these artist....Johnny ventura, aramis, los kenton, cocoband, jossie esteban, with some songs with limited letras and subjects which make no sense! examples....El Tabacon- singing about a cigar! el repollo (singing about a vegetable) el alicate (singing about a tool!) El salchichon (singing about sausage) El jardinero (song about a gardener) los melones, el baile del perito, el mange, el baile del pinguino:paranoid: ?etc etc...now these bands are based and known as quality bands throughout our community, catering to the bell bottom wearing afro jerry curl looking tigeres of that era, so what is this issue about el merengue y los musicos de calidad:surprised

Another example is Bob Marley music the same music like sizzla, shaba, john paul....jamaicans believed Marleys music was sent from God himself, but today they don't call there new artist garbage...it's call dancehall style reggue, another form but with more movement.

Hatuey I do not always want to here about love, romance, or my cheating lover! some days, I want pure mambo...shake your body music, some of these artist don't care about lyrics, there concept is not for you to listen to them while drinking coffee...like a juan luis guerra song!...it simply is what it is..popular music, to attract the diversified listener, and that's why old school like new school will never fade away, one will always help the other, and if any organization or awards commitee try to sensor one or the other, it will result in disaster for the music, music is a form of expression, from the artist to the public, it does not reflect culture, nor does it reflect good or bad quality, it's just art! in a different form.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Dominicans are very proud of merengue. So much so that even though it has gone through huge transformations, which in any other country would entail the birth of a completely new genre, we still call it merengue. It has changed instruments, tempo, style many many times. Merengue has been around for 150 years? the original guitar-based merengue is completely different from the orchestra-style one during Trujillo. Merengue?s right after Trujillo (60?s-70?s) have more of an African presence and more mambo. The 80?s and 90?s were just more transformations the genre went though?

Yea? Merengue de los 80?s is probably the Golden Age, but I don?t want to see Fernandito, Alex Bueno, Zafiro or Sergio as the front men of the genre in the 2010?s. I want innovation, the next transformation in Merengue, with new people, with a new style, new instruments?
What do you think of Juan Luis Guerra's newest merengue.... in english?

I have not heard the new merengue in english, but Guerra has a habit of turning the socially undesirable (ie. bachata) or the unthought of Dominican music genres into instant hits with people in all socio-economic classes and abroad as well.

Let's see how this one does.
-NALs

asopao

Aug 6, 2005
What do you think of Juan Luis Guerra's newest merengue.... in english?

I have not heard the new merengue in english, but Guerra has a habit of turning the socially undesirable (ie. bachata) or the unthought of Dominican music genres into instant hits with people in all socio-economic classes and abroad as well.

Let's see how this one does.
-NALs

bachata socially undesirable by whom?? you see, this is the problem, people of " different age group or financial conditions" doing the labelings.

I've been listening to bachata for centuries, before the Raulin Rodriguez revolution in 1993.( It passed into history as the first completely clean bachata cd, no doble-sentidos). Radio Guarachita was a favorite. I was a big fan of El solterito del Sur.

I've heard that the " riquitos, hijos de papi y mami" still look down on today's bachata, saying is " for chopos", and listenging to techno music. or maybe, when you were poor, and then became a noveau rich, you stop eating mangu and dancing bachata/merengue and switch it for " techno" music.

asopao

Aug 6, 2005
Hatuey...it's the modern style merengue that makes the old school merengue still attractive to listen to, what your missing hat...is, that calle music has always been around even in the 80's, who were these artist....Johnny ventura, aramis, los kenton, cocoband, jossie esteban, with some songs with limited letras and subjects which make no sense! examples....El Tabacon- singing about a cigar! el repollo (singing about a vegetable) el alicate (singing about a tool!) El salchichon (singing about sausage) El jardinero (song about a gardener) los melones, el baile del perito, el mange, el baile del pinguino:paranoid: ?etc etc...now these bands are based and known as quality bands throughout our community, catering to the bell bottom wearing afro jerry curl looking tigeres of that era, so what is this issue about el merengue y los musicos de calidad:surprised

Another example is Bob Marley music the same music like sizzla, shaba, john paul....jamaicans believed Marleys music was sent from God himself, but today they don't call there new artist garbage...it's call dancehall style reggue, another form but with more movement.

Hatuey I do not always want to here about love, romance, or my cheating lover! some days, I want pure mambo...shake your body music, some of these artist don't care about lyrics, there concept is not for you to listen to them while drinking coffee...like a juan luis guerra song!...it simply is what it is..popular music, to attract the diversified listener, and that's why old school like new school will never fade away, one will always help the other, and if any organization or awards commitee try to sensor one or the other, it will result in disaster for the music, music is a form of expression, from the artist to the public, it does not reflect culture, nor does it reflect good or bad quality, it's just art! in a different form.

Excellent post ! this is what I've been saying all along. music, in any era, is on the " ear of the beholder".

hatuey13

Jul 7, 2006
www.myspace.com
daddy1
i think ur right in some of the things u wrote...i know merengue will be changing...but u can't deny that we dominicans in general want our merengue to boost again...now....u guys tell me how will it get started...by playing the same songs as they are roght now..if changes is what merengue needs..i don't think we are going on the right direction...i know that back in the 80's and way after that they used to play merengue de calle....but just check out the difference between those and the ones played now...b4 they used to come up with different rythms...different mambos.....u listen to Julian...same rythm to el tiempo....same as other artists...mala fe has donde something a lil different trying to fuse rock and i don't know what else with merengue....i'm not against merengue de calle....i don't think merengue de calle is lifting our merengue...for some reason it is not been played so often in the US or in our own country...wasup with that...why has't it been nominated to awards.....whay is it that these artists don't pack up a place like maybe sergio those or rubby perez....merengue de calle is falling falling...just like regueton will...u can tell already regueton is not as popular a s a couple of months ago.....merengue de calle.....willl evenetually be played by a few artists......we need to have more merengue pensados......i'm not talking about the 80's.....we need new merengues can sentidos........o si por lo menos dicen dos o tres palabras......make the instrumnts say a lot more and make our body wanna dance to it.......we don't want the same merengue calle beat on an on......milly....va a una disco lo llena.....fernando tambien.....los rosarios tambien..sergio dice quitate...rubby perez siempre los llena.....y va un millon de veces a los clubs...eddy herrera lleva mucha gente......darlyn lo cual es nuevo comparado con los otros..llena los clubs....mi pregunat es...si los jovenes de ahora les gusta tanto los merengue de clale de ahora pq moreno negron.....julian.....malafa...amarfis.....alibanda....omega.....y tulile....no siempre llenan los clubs...llenaran en algunos lugares...pero no todo el tiempo como los hacen los otros artistas....se necesita el merengue de calle.......cuz it's mambo can be danced once in a while....necesitamos loqueras en nuestras vidas de vez en cuando...to make it more exiting..i guess......pero mucho de una cosa....simplemente cansa.....queremos variedades.....especialmente en el merengue

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
bachata socially undesirable by whom?? you see, this is the problem, people of " different age group or financial conditions" doing the labelings.

I've been listening to bachata for centuries, before the Raulin Rodriguez revolution in 1993.( It passed into history as the first completely clean bachata cd, no doble-sentidos). Radio Guarachita was a favorite. I was a big fan of El solterito del Sur.

I've heard that the " riquitos, hijos de papi y mami" still look down on today's bachata, saying is " for chopos", and listenging to techno music. or maybe, when you were poor, and then became a noveau rich, you stop eating mangu and dancing bachata/merengue and switch it for " techno" music.
Asopao, you do know that pre-Guerra's Bachata Rosa debute, kids who happened to pass in front of a bar blasting bachata music almost immediately got in trouble with their parents and anyone associated with that music was seen as the lowest of the lowest. Today, of course, bachata is everywhere and it no longer holds the extremely negative conoctation that it once had.

Bachata was considered music for drunk lonely men who spent their free time in cabares picking up hookers and men who cursed their bad luck in marriage, life, etc while sipping hard liquors in bars which blasted that music.

That was the prevailing notion before the 1980s and Juan Luis Guerra created his Bachata Rosa album, which suddenly refined the music genre for all peoples AND increased the popularization of this genre. He also managed to make Bachata acceptable to the international audience as well.

Prior to 1980s, even being near a place blasting bachata music would have been enough for kids to be in trouble with their parents or even worse, being rejected and criticized by friends and family members, if someone simply happened to see you passing in front of such place.

Trust me, Bachata was anything but socially acceptable.

There always were those who never cared what anyone thought of them and listened to that music before it was socially "acceptable", but ironically, those were the same people who got disgruntled the moment people began to talk about them precisely because of the music they listened to.

Today, of course, things are different. Passing by a place blasting bachata no longer has the shame it once had, heck people are blasting bachata in their homes/cars at all hours now. But, so too has the custom of making the sign of the cross whenever you cross in front of a church has changed as well.

It's a sign of the times.

-NALs

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Please don't compare Jamaican music with garbage like reggaeton and bachata...

Merengue is dying, bachata is the same mediocre idiotic noise, and reggaeton is there to make you braindead !

Salsa is the only valuable latin music, but as it was said earlier in this thread, oldies are still the best...

hatuey13

Jul 7, 2006
www.myspace.com
Hey Squat...maybe u just hate bachata.....cuz u know bachata is heard all over the world.....theres not a lot of new good salsa playing......just like merengue....ppl like old salsas than the ones now.....u go to a club in DR and u will mostly listen to old salsas...mostly Fania.....there was a boom of salseros in the 90's but they kinda vanished theres only a few just like theres only a few real merengueros representing....i really hope salsa and merengue can actually bring on new creative real musicians.....que sepan de musica...no hagan una mezlca con regueton.....plain good salsa..plain good merengue....que atraiga a todos los generos.....