What makes the DR different from other Latina American countries?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chip00

While a large segment of the population is "have not" and a tiny segment is "have a lot"...the eternal hope of getting more is there for everyone.
By not having a real "underclass" that has been oppressed over the years, centuries if you will, the eastern part of the island escaped the tensions that gave rise to the bloody revolutions of Mexico, Bolivia, Cuba and the civil wars of El Salvador, Nicaragua. The Mexican and Bolivian revolutions were so bloody that nobody, except doctors, were immune to death at the hands of one band or another. The Cuban Revolution was four or five decades in coming and fed upon the millions of cane workers that lived a feast or famine life according to the time of the year. The social injustices that existed in these three or four countries have been absent in the DR. There were some aspects of the peonage system but tempered with paternalism that took away the harsher or cruder aspects "peonage". Never were farm workers legally tied to the land they worked, for example.
Another aspect is the sparse population well into the 20th century. There was little pressure on the arable land, and this relieved social tensions. Today, the campos are emptying out as people go to the cities. They leave the farming to Haitians.
Thus, the ability to get ahead has removed much of the pressures from the political and social scenes, lessening the need for violence--unless totally politically motivated such as 1984 (Easter Week)--and thus the DR is so different from the rest of Latin America.

HB,, pontificating...

A damn good job too I might add! :) thanks for the insight.

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
And about the OP, what makes the DR different is that we are seem to have a more homogeneous populations, racially and culturally. And VERY short memories.

Very short, indeed. But when the Wiki experts like NALs bring up "history" as the reason why Dominicans dislike Haitians, The Kid sees it as BS.

I wonder what Papa Benito was tallking about - the mod erased his comments.

Dominicans' short-term memory is not color-blind.

C

Chip00

Very short, indeed. But when the Wiki experts like NALs bring up "history" as the reason why Dominicans dislike Haitians, The Kid sees it as BS.

I wonder what Papa Benito was tallking about - the mod erased his comments.

Dominicans' short-term memory is not color-blind.

I think the better term would be "Haitian-blind".

Dominicans don't have a problem with "color" per say they just don't like anything "Haitian" as they seem them as inferior. Therefore the most typical and common Haitain "traits" , such as dark skin, pelo malo and rasgos gruesos are going to be give less value. However, just because an Dominican has any or all of these traits just doesn't mean that they would be ostracized in the manner a Haitian would. This type of prejudice should be classified as nationalism and not racism IMO when compared to other types of similar cultural "situations" in the world. There is no doubt that there is a minority of "pure Spanish" light mulattos that have deep prejudices about color but the DON"T represent the majority of the Domincans.

For example a Dominican with Haitian "traits" or for that matter, even a Haitian married to a Dominican of lighter color will probably not be rejected by the Dominican family (yes I'm sure there are cases where this is true). However, a black person marrying a white person in the US will have a significant chance of being rejected by the white person's family especially in the South - this is racism.

Finally, it is funny that everybody is always knocking the Dominicans apparent "hate" of black skin yet at the concert the other night for the basketball team from San Meji that won the title they were singing "El negro pega con to' " and the people were going wild - why is that then????

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
There is no doubt that there is a minority of "pure Spanish" light mulattos that have deep prejudices about color but the DON"T represent the majority of the Domincans.
first of all what is pure spanish light mulattos?
but I'm agreeing with you with that many light skin DOminicans have prejudices and talk about it outloud; but I think they have no problem socializing and even marrying dark skin Dominicans, so they are always contradicting themselves with that.

I think these are ideas of the older generations now a days I don't see MUCH of a problem. I really don't see a problem as much as I try to think of all the different Dominicans that I know here in the US and in the DR, with different economic status.

I mean a few months ago I was at a barber shop with my son and there was this very dark skin Dominican and he said "yo no quiero sabel de prieto" and the barber was laughing because he was very dark and it was just funny to hear him say that, so he said "my mom is the only dark person I accept in my life" hahahahah I had to laugh, its just ignorance, shyt coming out of his mouth. anyway:rolleyes:

Finally, it is funny that everybody is always knocking the Dominicans apparent "hate" of black skin yet at the concert the other night for the basketball team from San Meji that won the title they were singing "El negro pega con to' " and the people were going wild - why is that then????
[/QUOTE]
like I said its just ignorance I come from an area that there's just mostly light skin Dominicans and most have no problem socializing or marrying dark skin Dominicans, so....:ermm:

sorry off topic, i'm leaving now.

Last edited:
C

Chip00

first of all what is pure spanish light mulattos?

Correction - it was supposed to be pure spanish and light mulattos.

As far as Dominicans talking about dark people when acquaintances/family do that in front of me tell me that I usually reply:

"Para mi siendo tan blanco tu pareces un carbon, y entonces?"

Which usually elicits quite a few laughs! :)

Papa Benito

Dec 5, 2006
Dominicans Have an intense hatred of Haiatins living in the DR

If you haven't witnessed this, Rick Snyder, you must be blind. They are arrested for no cause. Policia continuosly seek bribes from them. They are not allowed to to walk on the streets of Sousa alone. An automatic arrest by the polica. They are persecuted and have no legal rights. They must bribe heir way out of jail after these false arrests. Some Dominicans prey on them with robberies, etc.. The polica do nothing.

Last edited:

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
(Reading 101) ? The OP stated, ?I was just pondering the DR and all of its pluses and minuses and what was wondering what makes the DR different from other Latina American countries.? ? ?Is it because Dominicans are more "homogenous" in thinking even though racially they are diverse?? -

Let?s go back to the title of your prior post, ?The intense hatred of people from Haiti?. Referring to reading 101 once again and taking into consideration the gibberish that I deleted from that post I had a difficult time ascertaining what you were trying to say and therefore asked for an explanation as to what you were trying to say. Looking at your prior title and the deleted gibberish you gave the impression that there is a lot of hatred held BY the Haitian towards something or somebody. If you had inserted the word ?toward the? between (hatred) and (people) I would have understood what you were trying to convey.

The title of your latest post explains very well where you are coming from but to then attempt to get on my case is not the direction you need to be going with your idiotic self. I will now attempt to point this out to you. In your declarations you say, ?They are arrested for no cause.? Surprise, so are many Dominicans. - ?Policia continuosly seek bribes from them.? Surprise, happens to a lot of Dominican also.?They are not allowed to to walk on the streets of Sousa alone.? Unless things have changed drastically since July then I know for a fact that is false. ?They must bribe heir way out of jail after these false arrests.? ? So do a lot of Dominicans. ?Some Dominicans prey on them with robberies, etc.. The polica do nothing.? ? Surprise, some Haitians also prey on them and Haitians have been known to prey on Dominicans and the result of the actions by the PN is always a hit and miss procedure.

As I have been living here for 11 years you better jump back and think before you call me blind. In the short time I?ve been here I have in fact seen that which you mention and much, much more.

As you decided to make this a discussion between you and me then I have a question for you. As the OP asked, ?what makes the DR different from other Latina American countries.?, is it your opinion that the hatred held by some Dominicans towards Haitians is not also held by some citizens from other LA countries? Research that and check it out before you answer.

Rick

Edited to add;

Papa I received your PM but will not converse with you by PM. I have been called worse by better people then yourself so give it up.

Last edited:

globalmike295

On Vacation
Jul 11, 2006
One major trait is the authentic "love affair" Dominicans have with the USA and anything American, that spans all social and economic levels.

I have been to many countries in L.A. where it is the exact opposite.

Foreign Aid and political indiference, left or right, red or blue, is also a major factor.

Richard Dreyfuss, The famous Actor, that starred in the International Hit Movie.........." Moon Over Parador "...Comes to mind

" I love your mountains and your valleys ", oh Madonna !!

Papa Benito

Dec 5, 2006
Apparently, Rick Snyder has a personal vendetta against me. He should be relieved as

One only needs to read his current '' ranting'' posts in this thread for verification. Further verication comes from his post on The Shark Bar where he reveals to the entire readership of DR1, that I changed my name to -- Papa Benito--Snyder says,
''It is also surprising to see Papa Benito changed his name.''
I would be surprised if this transgression of my privacy is permitted by DR1. Lastly, Snyder resorts to published name calling, which is another reason he should be relieved as a Moderator.

Papa Benito

Dec 5, 2006
To: something in the night. Call it Snyder Censorship!

Apparently the post that you refer to disagreed with Snyder's point of view. Believe me, there was nothing in my post that made Censorship necessary. Snyder abused his Moderator power. Let the readership decide, I dare Snyder to re-post the post that he Censored. This Censoring is just one more reason why Snyder should be relieved of his position as Moderator. His next step, I predict, will be an attempt to ''ban'' me from the DR1 Forum!

Last edited:

kfrancis

Jan 8, 2002
rockharddesigns.com
Observation from the Frontier !! 2439 vs 33 -- 4+ yrs vs 6 mo

RE: Sr. Benito ( I reserve the word Papa, for those held in higher esteem )

If there ever was a highjacking of a thread for personal reasons more evident than your attempt here, I have not seen it.

And to give you my observation on your " request " to remove or even slap the hand of the moderator of this forum I would like to point out some very simple numbers:

2,349 postings offering intellegent insight on various subjects related to and about his experiences within the Republica Dominicana.

vs. your 33.

Four and one half ( 4 1/2 ) years of involvement within the DR 1 environment as a user, contributor and eventually selected a moderator.

vs. What is it ??? just over 6 mo. Or am I talking to a "sock puppet"

If I were a betting man I would expect just the opposite from your request to DR1 and it's forum users.

If there is ever a vote on this subject. Count one ( 1 ) for Rick

And to the original OP, my sincere apologies for participating in this highjacking...but I felt I had to offer an " Observation from the Frontier " on this one.

kFrancisco de Cabral

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
Apparently the post that you refer to disagreed with Snyder's point of view. Believe me, there was nothing in my post that made Censorship necessary. Snyder abused his Moderator power. Let the readership decide, I dare Snyder to re-post the post that he Censored. This Censoring is just one more reason why Snyder should be relieved of his position as Moderator. His next step, I predict, will be an attempt to ''ban'' me from the DR1 Forum!

Papa Benito, The Kid has had two cups of really strong coffee and is now prepared to tell it like it is.

Moderators like to stay on topic, or so they say. However, every now and then, someone starts a thread asking a really stupid question (There. I said it), but after a few posters chime in, it becomes interesting.

Chip's question is not stupid, but after reading his post, you can see that it's a feel-good story. The original question and the rest do not jive.

I SEE WHAT YOU ARE SAYING: Dominicans' overt racism towards Haitians makes us different. And I agree with you.

There. I said it.

-The Kid

Papa Benito

Dec 5, 2006
Kfrancis = very interesting

You approve of censorship, the abuse of power, invasion of privacy, public name calling, and false, implied allegations? Surely, you don't believe! Thousands of posts! Golly, there are a lot of the worlds dictators that talk a lot and share these same characteristics!

C

Chip00

Papa Benito, The Kid has had two cups of really strong coffee and is now prepared to tell it like it is.

Moderators like to stay on topic, or so they say. However, every now and then, someone starts a thread asking a really stupid question (There. I said it), but after a few posters chime in, it becomes interesting.

Chip's question is not stupid, but after reading his post, you can see that it's a feel-good story. The original question and the rest do not jive.

I SEE WHAT YOU ARE SAYING: Dominicans' overt racism towards Haitians makes us different. And I agree with you.

There. I said it.

-The Kid

Is that the only thing that makes Dominicans different? Is it really racism when many Dominicans have the same African heritage and features - isn't it better described as nationalism?

Does this explain the lack of civil wars and strife and also the lack of progress when compared to other LA countries?

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
Is that the only thing that makes Dominicans different? Is it really racism when many Dominicans have the same African heritage and features - isn't it better described as nationalism?

Does this explain the lack of civil wars and strife and also the lack of progress when compared to other LA countries?

No, it obviously isn't the only thing. And, by the way, what the heck is nationalism? Is it pride on one's country of birth? I really don't get it. But if it is pride, then that's a ridiculous trait.

There. I said.

-The Kid

C

Chip00

No, it obviously isn't the only thing. And, by the way, what the heck is nationalism? Is it pride on one's country of birth? I really don't get it. But if it is pride, then that's a ridiculous trait.
There. I said.

-The Kid

I didn't say I agree with it - but I think it better describes the situation.

Don't look for it to change as long as:

1. This "nationalism" is propagated by the government and taught in the schools

2. Haiti continues on it's path towards total and complete destruction and continues to send it's poorest and most desperate to the DR in such large numbers.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Pepe Feoito,

Okay, you've had your 5 minutes of fame so I would now advise you to climb down off your soap-box and get back to what ever it is that you normally do of which reading, writing and language comprehension and expression are not apart thereof.

Also, do not even begin to flatter yourself by thinking that I have a personal vendetta against you. If that were the case you would never have been able to dig the hole as deep as you have.

You have decided to take your personal feelings and apply them directly at me instead of at the board and the subject matter. You are now being forewarned that I will not let you continue on your present course toward self destruction and will therefore delete any further ranting and paltering. You have been warned.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I also believe Nationalism plays a big role in the way Haitians are viewed by Dominicans, a good example of nationalistic tendencies escalating into an armed conflict would be "la guerra del balompie" when allegedly El Salvador beat Honduras in a rubber match and the Hondurans were ****ed and started attacking Salvadoran immigrants, which resulted in El Salvador going to war against Honduras.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
It seems DR is the only latin-american nation who didn't obtain independence from Spain (or Portugal), but from another nation : Haiti... Of course, there have been fights against Spaniards, but history only remembers independence obtained from Haitians...

Status
Not open for further replies.