What makes the DR different from other Latina American countries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
It seems DR is the only latin-american nation who didn't obtain independence from Spain (or Portugal), but from another nation : Haiti... Of course, there have been fights against Spaniards, but history only remembers independence obtained from Haitians...
Actually, the DR is one of a few Latin American countries that obtained their independence from a country that was not Spain.

For example,

Uruguay got its independence from Brazil, not from Spain.

Venezuela, Ecuador, and Panam? got their independence from Colombia (well, Gran Colombia - but it was all one unified Colombia at one point).

Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua, and Costa Rica all got their independence from a republic that used to encompass all those countries together. Think what happened to Yugoslavia - something similar but less bloody.

Puerto Rico, if it ever becomes independent will become independent from the U.S. - but this one doesn't count because its in the future, if ever.

Hm, let's see:

Independent from Spain:

1 Chile
2 Argentina
3 Paraguay*
4 Bolivia
5 Per?
6 Colombia
7 Cuba*
8 M?xico

Independent from a Western Hemisphere country:

1 Rep?blica Dominicana
2 Honduras
3 El Salvador
4 Nicaragua
5 Costa Rica
6 Panam?
7 Venezuela
8 Ecuador
9 Uruguay

Spanish speaking country that may become independent from the U.S. and not from Spain:

1 Puerto Rico

Countries with an *, I'm not really sure if they got their independence from Spain or some other country, but this can be resolved by doing a quick research which I don't feel like doing at the moment.

-NALs;)

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I also believe Nationalism plays a big role in the way Haitians are viewed by Dominicans, a good example of nationalistic tendencies escalating into an armed conflict would be "la guerra del balompie" when allegedly El Salvador beat Honduras in a rubber match and the Hondurans were ****ed and started attacking Salvadoran immigrants, which resulted in El Salvador going to war against Honduras.
The most incredible part of the El Salvador-Honduras war was that El Salvador actually gave Honduras quite a humiliation.

That tiny country's troops made it all the way to Tegucigalpa, a total humiliation to a country many times larger (and presumably with a larger armed forces).

After that incident, no one ever downplayed the power of El Salvador, a country many people considered was not capable of invading any of its much larger neighbors and actually have a chance of winning such war.

To the critics surprise, that's what El Salvador did!

-NALs

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
No, it obviously isn't the only thing. And, by the way, what the heck is nationalism? Is it pride on one's country of birth? I really don't get it. But if it is pride, then that's a ridiculous trait.

There. I said.

-The Kid
It's pride in one's own country.

Countries produce various simbols which people wrap their identities around and that relationship between the individual and the state gives politician the power to wage war on other countries and actually have people be willing to give their life for their country.

Such pride can be created by taking people who in all objectivity would be seen as murderers, traitors, etc and turning them into heroes of a country. Glamorize the history and add some simbols which would remind the individual of such glamorized history and they begin to take pride in themselves, which is reflected in pride in the nation.

If the country is a monarchy, the pride will fall along the suppose annoyinting the king or queen have with God. Given that special relationship the king/queen has with God, their subjects give them tremendous respects and many would even be willing to give their life in order to protect their king/queen. This is true in all monarchies from United Arab Emirates to the modern UK - eventhough in the UK the queen has no real power, but many British do become anxious whenever they are in the presence of the queen, whether its in a parade or some other event.

Without nationalism the modern nation-state won't function well and if the nation-state apparatus don't function well, neither will economic development, social stability, etc.

-NALs

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
The most incredible part of the El Salvador-Honduras war was that El Salvador actually gave Honduras quite a humiliation.

That tiny country's troops made it all the way to Tegucigalpa, a total humiliation to a country many times larger (and presumably with a larger armed forces).

After that incident, no one ever downplayed the power of El Salvador, a country many people considered was not capable of invading any of its much larger neighbors and actually have a chance of winning such war.

To the critics surprise, that's what El Salvador did!

-NALs

Can I assume that there still exists some tensions or other forms of xenophobia between the two??

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Can I assume that there still exists some tensions or other forms of xenophobia between the two??
Oh yes, Salvadorians and Honduras don't want to even hear of each other.

Of course, many people from both countries could care less, but many have taken the conflict between the two countries to a point that they have real hate towards the other.

Similarly, Ecuadorians don't want to hear about Peruvians, Bolivians don't want to hear about Chileans, Venezuelans are not particularly accepting of Colombians (and the illegal immigration problem from Colombia to Venezuela doesn't really help), Dominicans have issues with Haitians, so on and so forth.

It's part of human nature to dislike those who are part of a country that humiliated yours in the past.

I hope Americans can now see why many immigrants from Latin America hate the attempt by US authorities to lump all Latin Americans into one single term, ie. Latino or Hispanic.

Not only are Latin American countries different, but many don't like each other. So, for many people to think of themselves at the same level as those who are their "enemies" is an insult. That's one of the reasons why many Latin Americans reject the US classification of Spanish speaking Latin Americans. That and the hate some Latin Americans have towards Spain itself, thus reminding them of their Spanish heritage is another insult.

-NALs

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
Really? I thought that the Brits did like Spain, I have heard that there is a recent wave of them going to live/retire there.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Really? I thought that the Brits did like Spain, I have heard that there is a recent wave of them going to live/retire there.
Every British/Spaniard don't hate each other, but many are not fond of each other either.

Many of the British who have retired and are now living in the famous Costa del Sol area of Spain (the Meditteranean side) are complaining of racism from the part of the Spaniards.

Their kids are often bullied by the Spaniards, many of their homes/businesses have been vandalized, etc.

I don't know how large these tensions are, but they are there. All anyone has to do is read some of the anti-British graffiti you'll find in many places along Meditteranean Spain, particularly the closer to Gibraltar you get. Talking to them about this issue also helps in better understanding the situation between the two nationalities.

Speaking of Gibraltar, the British insist that Gibraltar belongs to them (officially it does), but the Spaniards are not convinced. Plenty of Spaniards have said that Gibraltar is for Spaniards. It has gotten so bad, that the Gibraltar authorities have put up a actual fence where the border lies between Gibraltar and the rest of Spain. Also, flights from Gibraltar airport were not allowed to fly to Spanish airports and vice-versa. This was changed last year, but it took what, half a century for Spanish airplanes to be allowed to fly into Gibraltar airport and vice-versa?

Gibraltar even created a cultural institution meant to maintain Gibraltan culture alive and well out of fear that Gibraltan culture would be destroyed with influx of Spaniards and such. This was before the border fence was built - of course. But the institution is still there, "protecting Gibraltan and British culture on the Rock."

If you know how small Gibraltar is, you would wonder why Britain feels the need to keep that rock in their possession - but one only needs to read the history books to realize that its an emotional connection to one of the last places of the British Empire still under British rule.

-NALs

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Another rivalry - Panamenians and Colombians...the Panamenians are not fond of colombian immigrants.
Especially now with the wave of drug and organized crime invading Panam? from Colombia. Also, many Colombian illegal immigrants in Panam? receive mistreatment from Panam?'s authorities.

-NALs

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
Especially now with the wave of drug and organized crime invading Panam? from Colombia. Also, many Colombian illegal immigrants in Panam? receive mistreatment from Panam?'s authorities.

-NALs

I don't want criminals but I love Colombians ;) They are the ones that speak the best Spanish in Latin America, IMO.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Any Time they want

Puerto Rico, if it ever becomes independent will become independent from the U.S. - but this one doesn't count because its in the future, if ever.

Spanish speaking country that may become independent from the U.S. and not from Spain:

1 Puerto Rico
-NALs;)

This one really does not count Nals, as they can have independence anytime they want. They vote on this about every 4 years and always maintain the status quo. But nobody is holding them except themselves. Most of the US wishes that they would separate. They don't pay US taxes, but enjoy all the perks.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
and they do pay some U.S. taxes. Also, businesses in Puerto Rico lost a big amount of their tax exemptions enacted as part of Operation Bootstrap in 2005.

how about the following perks, ..

Can Puerto Rican travel to Cuba as tourists without running afoul of the law?

Can Puerto Rican business not doing business in the fifty state do business in Cuba?

MsgtSnorkel

May 18, 2007
You approve of censorship, the abuse of power, invasion of privacy, public name calling, and false, implied allegations? Surely, you don't believe! Thousands of posts! Golly, there are a lot of the worlds dictators that talk a lot and share these same characteristics!

Rick Snyder
Moderator Join Date: Nov 2003

Okay, you've had your 5 minutes of fame so I would now advise you to climb down off your soap-box and get back to what ever it is that you normally do of which reading, writing and language comprehension and expression are not apart thereof.

Also, do not even begin to flatter yourself by thinking that I have a personal vendetta against you. If that were the case you would never have been able to dig the hole as deep as you have.

You have decided to take your personal feelings and apply them directly at me instead of at the board and the subject matter. You are now being forewarned that I will not let you continue on your present course toward self destruction and will therefore delete any further ranting and paltering. You have been warned.

Papa Benito
Bronze Join Date: Dec 2006

Apparently, Rick Snyder has a personal vendetta against me. He should be relieved as
One only needs to read his current '' ranting'' posts in this thread for verification. Further verication comes from his post on The Shark Bar where he reveals to the entire readership of DR1, that I changed my name to -- Papa Benito--Snyder says,
''It is also surprising to see Papa Benito changed his name.''
I would be surprised if this transgression of my privacy is permitted by DR1. Lastly, Snyder resorts to published name calling, which is another reason he should be relieved as a Moderator.

Papa Benito

You must remember Ricky is a very anal retentive little man with nothing in his life but this board.

When someone makes a post, he immediately goes tot hat readers name and reads each and every post ever made by that reader to try and find something controversial

Ricky always kept a little black book and would be the first to rat out anyone to try and make himself look better

You better believe he carries personal vendettas and will do his best to discredit anyone who disagrees with him

He will delete (He used to ?lose? paperwork) messages and alter posts to make himself look good and you look bad

This is his world and he is going to do whatever he can to protect it

The people that gave him the ?power? to moderate anything must be quite na?ve.

MsgtSnorkel

May 18, 2007
Apparently the post that you refer to disagreed with Snyder's point of view. Believe me, there was nothing in my post that made Censorship necessary. Snyder abused his Moderator power. Let the readership decide, I dare Snyder to re-post the post that he Censored. This Censoring is just one more reason why Snyder should be relieved of his position as Moderator. His next step, I predict, will be an attempt to ''ban'' me from the DR1 Forum!

Edited to add;

Papa I received your PM but will not converse with you by PM. I have been called worse by better people then yourself so give it up.

Little Ricky, you are still at it I see. Unable to answer the critic and questions posed by those who truly know you and resorting to playing ?big man? behind the protection of anonymity, nothing much changes does it?

Are you still the glasses wearing tousled haired little wimpy you always were, talking behind peoples back and praising them tot heir face?

If you people don?t know Little Ricky, he was a useless paper shuffler relegated to a cubicle for his whole military career, then drummed out with a less than honorable discharge (Though it was amended to a medical so his pension was intact).

Little Ricky forever blames someone lese for everything , the Officers who commanded him (Nothing like a 23 year old 2nd Lt picking on you, eh Ricky boy?), the men who would not cooperate making him look bad, all the way up the chain with the field officers and even general Officers not being competent so poor Ricky was blamed

His first wife left him for a car salesman, his second caught in bed with his best friend (Who beat the crap out of Little Ricky) and his third (Beginning to see this guy has a problem?) just up an left telling all her own friends ?It?s like living with Mr. Limpet?)

Funny how all posts critical of little Ricky now hiding in an obscure little village in the Dominican Republic disappear; could it be the bright light of truth keeps Little Ricky hiding under his toadstool?

Status
Not open for further replies.