Uber in Santo Domingo

chicagoan14

Apr 2, 2019
I returned from the U.S. once. I had not switched my sim yet back to my DR number so I used the airport wifi to request an uber. It took awhile, but he eventually came. I knew the trip was supposed to be between 700 to 1000 back into the city. The driver knew I didn't have internet and he turned the meter off and had a fake app that resembled uber, the amount came to about 1400. We encountered a bit of traffic, so I imagined it was due to that. So I had to pay in cash, and he didn't have change and I was angry at this point. He offered me bolivares. I was in disbelief. I contacted Uber, they told me they could do nothing because the driver cancelled the trip and they imagined I colluded with the driver to negotiate a better price outside of the app...and only contacted them because I was stiffed..

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
So I took uber from Sdq for the first time. $12 to zona colonial. Day time. Gave a tip. Way less than the $40 with the busted up taxis.

miamiswede

Dec 20, 2019
For our last three trips here we have been using Uber most of the time, 90 pesos up to 400 pesos for most trips, for example, 376 pesos from Piantini, (2 blocks from Blue Mall) to Galeria 360, every driver has been friendly, and always a great opportunity to practice my fluent Spanish ..., saving a ton compared to renting a car or "borrowing" from family ...

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
For our last three trips here we have been using Uber most of the time, 90 pesos up to 400 pesos for most trips, for example, 376 pesos from Piantini, (2 blocks from Blue Mall) to Galeria 360, every driver has been friendly, and always a great opportunity to practice my fluent Spanish ..., saving a ton compared to renting a car or "borrowing" from family ...

4700DOP from Catalonia Santo Domingo to Barcelo Bavaro Beach Resort door to door for 4 people lol.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
4700DOP from Catalonia Santo Domingo to Barcelo Bavaro Beach Resort door to door for 4 people lol.

..be careful of this scam.. Day before Christmas lady Dominican friend of mine calls Uber..Uber arrives very fast and before she gets in driver asks her, paying with bank card or cash? when she said cash, a motocycle with a ladrone pulls up with a gun a robs her as the fake Uber drives away...what next??

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
..be careful of this scam.. Day before Christmas lady Dominican friend of mine calls Uber..Uber arrives very fast and before she gets in driver asks her, paying with bank card or cash? when she said cash, a motocycle with a ladrone pulls up with a gun a robs her as the fake Uber drives away...what next??

I am not questioning your account of this event, but I will question your lady friend's version.
Who pays cash for an Uber?
Uber has safeguards against these types of actions. Has the "event" been reported?
This is the first I am hearing of this type of "scam".

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
I am not questioning your account of this event, but I will question your lady friend's version.
Uber has safeguards against these types of actions. Has the "event" been reported?

I believe in DR there is an option to pay for UBER in cash

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016

I always pay cash...uber has safeguards?..we both know you can buy almost anything here..she did report it to uber, they are looking into it...this is the time of year for these scams, chicas have cash for shopping....then again maybe she spent all her money on presidente!.....

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I always pay cash...uber has safeguards?..we both know you can buy almost anything here..she did report it to uber, they are looking into it...this is the time of year for these scams, chicas have cash for shopping....then again maybe she spent all her money on presidente!.....

Again, I was unaware of the cash option.
I would put the driver not having access to your account info (atm/credit card) in the category of being a safeguard. It is one of the features, along with knowing the driver and vehicle coming to collect you ahead of time which has made the platform popular.
I would be more on the alert for the scamming chicas than the Uber driver, and not just here within the happy confines of RD either.

tripp789

May 4, 2018
..yes but the company does.

I use both Uber and Lyft in the states and have no problem with their card security. Neither the driver nor anyone else in the DR has access to your numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I can’t see Uber allowing this. Their chance of collecting their share is almost nil.

They definitely do (in DR). The share for uber of all rides is taken out of the part that’s charged with CC.

tripp789

May 4, 2018
They definitely do (in DR). The share for uber of all rides is taken out of the part that’s charged with CC.

So Uber gets no piece of the action for connecting the rider with the driver if cash is paid? Doesn’t sound like a sustainable business model.