The decline of European flights to Puerto Plata airport

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
Last weekend I was told Brussels Airlines were going to take over the DUSS-POP route when Eurowings (Der Tour) finish later this month. This was from a Eurowings Pilot. He said it would continue to fly out of DUSS.
There is nothing on their website so far suggesting this.
I wait in hope.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
J, just get rich and buy your own plane. Problem solved. :)

Slightly cheaper, join Lifestyles at the top tier and request the jet pick you up at the airport of your choice.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Latest news is that Condor will stop flights to POP and AZS after Easter and stop SDQ after the summer. They will continue to serve PUJ and LRM.

It looks like the only flight from Europe to POP to continue after Easter will be Jetairfly from Brussels.

Considering that Germany has the largest European community, I see this as a major blow for the North Coast. Only two years ago we had six flights a week from Germany to POP. Soon to be none, as Eurowings has no plans to return for the foreseeable future.

Russian flights have increased over the winter with a flight every four days to Moscow.

My hope is that the new cruise terminal will bolster European air traffic like LRM. Amber cove isn't a transit port, but rumors are that POP will be.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Latest news is that Condor will stop flights to POP and AZS after Easter and stop SDQ after the summer. They will continue to serve PUJ and LRM.

It looks like the only flight from Europe to POP to continue after Easter will be Jetairfly from Brussels.

Considering that Germany has the largest European community, I see this as a major blow for the North Coast. Only two years ago we had six flights a week from Germany to POP. Soon to be none, as Eurowings has no plans to return for the foreseeable future.

Russian flights have increased over the winter with a flight every four days to Moscow.

My hope is that the new cruise terminal will bolster European air traffic like LRM. Amber cove isn't a transit port, but rumors are that POP will be.

Was announced that TUI Germany will add 3 weekly flight to POP for winter and will continue during the summer, about stoping condor SDQ I dont think they cancelled, at least they will have to keep 1 flight a week, the dont do the stop and continue to SJO after Oct 2020. They do not have yet uploaded what day they will flight into SDQ but the amount of Germans arriving into SDQ in 2019 was 18,761, and for Dec 2019 was 1.723 Germans, wich I think a lot of them arrived with Condor, plus the cargo they transport from SDQ, so dont think they plan just plan to leave SDQ and not keep at least 1 weekly flight.

Another new thing coming into the game is that LOT airlines puchased Condor, so lets wait and see what will happend.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Was announced that TUI Germany will add 3 weekly flight to POP for winter and will continue during the summer, about stoping condor SDQ I dont think they cancelled, at least they will have to keep 1 flight a week, the dont do the stop and continue to SJO after Oct 2020. They do not have yet uploaded what day they will flight into SDQ but the amount of Germans arriving into SDQ in 2019 was 18,761, and for Dec 2019 was 1.723 Germans, wich I think a lot of them arrived with Condor, plus the cargo they transport from SDQ, so dont think they plan just plan to leave SDQ and not keep at least 1 weekly flight.

Another new thing coming into the game is that LOT airlines puchased Condor, so lets wait and see what will happend.

If that's true about TUI Germany, that would be great. Could you provide a link to the announcement? I wonder whose aircraft they will be using. TUI Germany don't have their own long haul fleet yet.

I heard the announcement about LOT purchasing Condor. The problem is that when an airline leaves an airport, it's really hard to get them back again....

Amu

Oct 4, 2010

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
Thanks, Chalkyblue, I do hope this comes about....and not only in the winter...not my choice to return to the UK in winter, but Dusseldorf is a good place to change flights.