Eager to Share Insights on Dominican Republic Real Estate!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Agreed but it should be readily available at immigration as you get your passport stamped on entry. Available to expats, snowbirds and tourists who want the option of staying longer if they choose to do so. The cost could be the same as the six month overstay fee. A generic six month visa. The standard 30 day tourist visa would still be available for AI clientele.
Most tourists do not get a 30 tourist visa. They get a tourist card that is valid for 30 days. They are two completely different things. My suggestion is to give tourists from countries that qualify a 6 month tourist card as is done in many other countries, free of charge. Just double or triple the overstay fees for chronic overstayers and perpetual tourists to make up for the revenue lost.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
They're two completely different things. Visas require an application, time, approval. and fees. Keep it simple like many other countries do and just allow those in from countries that qualify to enter visa-free on a tourist card.
I am for a simple way to pay up front for 6 months where one is able to drive legally and stay legally, but not work legally except for being a digital nomad online. It would require new laws to do this for both Migracion and DIGESETT to harmonize those issues. So legally, it might have to be called a Visa Upon Arrival like many countries do.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There is no real need for a six month solution as it serves no real purpose.
Seeing how you live here and you understand the reality of life in the DR, I would think you'd recognize things for what they are, not what you want them to be especially when it has zero impact on your daily life.
I will determine what has impact , not anyone else. I don't like illegals in any country where I am a citizen.
The current system in place, which has been in place for several years, is not broken and therefor it needs no fixing.
Many people travel down here and spend more than six months at a time without issue and are happy to pay the fee upon their departure.

What you seem to keep advocating for is changing something that has no impact on your daily existence and only serve to inconvenience others, which I think sounds
The system is not in agreement with the laws since the PLD put the exit fines in place instead of using the laws as written. It means many people drive illegally on foreign licenses. It means some people stay illegally forever with no ramifications. What you consider good, I consider ineffective and broken.
spiteful and ridiculous.
Precistely, I am ALL THAT.
These overstay fees are a win-win situation for both the government coffers and the people who pay them before their departure.

With this country having so many real problems to deal with I can't understand why this topic in particular seems to be your top concern?

You should find another horse. This one has been beaten enough.

Nope, it is my horse and a will continue unless and until changes are made to agree with law.
I never said it was my top concern.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I will determine what has impact , not anyone else. I don't like illegals in any country where I am a citizen.

The system is not in agreement with the laws since the PLD put the exit fines in place instead of using the laws as written. It means many people drive illegally on foreign licenses. It means some people stay illegally forever with no ramifications. What you consider good, I consider ineffective and broken.

Precistely, I am ALL THAT.

Nope, it is my horse and a will continue unless and until changes are made to agree with law.
Good mornig Sir Wind. I have no real concerns about illegals here. I am much more concerned about drunk drivers and reckless drivers than I am Haitians selling fruit from a cart. Potholes are higher up on my concern scale as is the price of gold and fuel. Hey, incidentally, have you ever thought about running for mayor of Cabarete?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Good mornig Sir Wind. I have no real concerns about illegals here. I am much more concerned about drunk drivers and reckless drivers than I am Haitians selling fruit from a cart. Potholes are higher up on my concern scale as is the price of gold and fuel. Hey, incidentally, have you ever thought about running for mayor of Cabarete?
I also have concerns about the bad drivers, potholes as well as illegals. And not just illegal Haitians. Any illegal.
Gold price is not a concern. Fuel is not a big issue for me since it is very low on my monthly expenses.

No interest in being in politics. Not ever.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I am for a simple way to pay up front for 6 months where one is able to drive legally and stay legally, but not work legally except for being a digital nomad online. It would require new laws to do this for both Migracion and DIGESETT to harmonize those issues. So legally, it might have to be called a Visa Upon Arrival like many countries do.
I think it would be better to keep it simple and FREE for all tourists who are here for 6 months or less. Mexico, Panama, Colombia, and others do this, and they issue a tourist card or simply call it "visa free entry" where your immigration stamp in your passport is proof you entered the country legally and starts the clock ticking. Actually, as far as I know, the DR no longer issues actual tourist cards - it is the entry stamp in your passport.

In any case, the law would have to be changed. Whether you're in country on a visa, tourist card, or visa free entry, you're legal to drive for the time provided.

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
You are right, I have not lived in those countries, but I have travelled extensively there in both my business and personal life (I am from the UK). I was not commenting on the other aspects you mention, just replying with statistics to what was said about the COST OF LIVING there. The South of France, for example, is one of the most expensive places in Europe, if not the world.
If you are from the UK, you know what's going on!

The South of France attracts wealth for a reason, as does Luxemburg.
I'd rather buy real estate for 500K or a million in EU or US, than DR for obvious reasons.
Just compare the cost of basic items like food, clothing, consumer goods, electicity, cars in EU or US to DR prices and availability.

If one has play money to invest in DR real estate OK.
If one is just hungry for Winter sun, even the US has many attractive options, or EU a few hours away.

To each his own.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I will determine what has impact , not anyone else. I don't like illegals in any country where I am a citizen....
Well then, is it safe to assume the sight of Haitains must really make your blood boil?
Actions speak louder than words...
and yes, I know, you (can't take a joke) live in Cabarete not Sosua.

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
that shouldn't take long.
Thank you. I will inform my well-educated, well-to-do friends here on the North Coast of your opinion.

I'm sure you know some upstanding wealthy and well educated people on the N. Coast.
Yet the real wealthy or very well educated seldom flock to the DR North Coast or Cap Cana.

Well, there are some affluent criminals hiding out, even or especially in Sea Horse Ranch as reported by Germany media....
They do have great security after all.

Not that there is a shortage of Canadian criminals, including Hells Angels and other criminal extradited by INTERPOL.
Of course US criminals also have their share.
Especially those with money find easy refuge, oh did I forget Eastern Europeans including Russians.

To me, as Windy says" just my opinion" most of the N.Coast is bottom barrel including, people, dilapidated street's and sidewalks.

It's just an opinion forum, with the price of beans in DR and some facts sprinkled in.

Remember our friend owner of Mary Rose, extradited by INTERPOL?

dv8

Gold​

Interpol captura en RD a 20 criminales fugitivos extranjeros - listindiario.com

interpol in SD has arrested and extradited (in some cases) 20 foreigners withing the last 6 months. different nationalities, different crimes, committed back in their respective countries. good job. among arrested there are: 3 czechs, 2 cubans, 2 italians, russian, mexican, german, canadian, serb, slovenian and spanish.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I'm sure you know some upstanding wealthy and well educated people on the N. Coast.
Yet the real wealthy or very well educated seldom flock to the DR North Coast or Cap Cana.
Cabarete may not have Elon Musk wealthy level of people here, and it does have it's share of dead-beats and low life's, but the average expat here is a typical, well-educated, and upper middle class individual. There are many multi-millionaires that live here full or part-time.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I think it would be better to keep it simple and FREE for all tourists who are here for 6 months or less. Mexico, Panama, Colombia, and others do this, and they issue a tourist card or simply call it "visa free entry" where your immigration stamp in your passport is proof you entered the country legally and starts the clock ticking. Actually, as far as I know, the DR no longer issues actual tourist cards - it is the entry stamp in your passport.

In any case, the law would have to be changed. Whether you're in country on a visa, tourist card, or visa free entry, you're legal to drive for the time provided.
I also don't care if there is a charge or not for up to X months, where X is 6 or less. Just do something that agrees with the laws.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Well then, is it safe to assume the sight of Haitains must really make your blood boil?
If they are illegal, I am not pleased. If a gringo from a tourist card country lives here without legal residency, my displeasure is the equal.
I am against any and all illegals. I am not more prejudiced against one group than I am another.

Any sight of a Haitian will make my wife's blood boil, but she is a native born Dominican.
Actions speak louder than words...
What actions?
and yes, I know, you (can't take a joke) live in Cabarete not Sosua.
I can take a joke very well. And I have stated numerous times that I could care less what people think about me if they don't in some way owe me money.

That is a joke, and then it isn't...

Big

Apr 24, 2019
If they are illegal, I am not pleased. If a gringo from a tourist card country lives here without legal residency, my displeasure is the equal.
I am against any and all illegals. I am not more prejudiced against one group than I am another.

Any sight of a Haitian will make my wife's blood boil, but she is a native born Dominican.

What actions?

I can take a joke very well. And I have stated numerous times that I could care less what people think about me if they don't in some way owe me money.

Man o man you take this immigration thing way to seriously. My concerns are so much more important. If my pasta does not come out Al dente I am angry. However I will not post about it for years on end.

Reactions: CristoRey

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

What actions?

Hilarious indeed.
A male Karen?
Mods must be asleep at the wheel today.

Reactions: Big
Status
Not open for further replies.