The DR and the Recession of 2008

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
Malibrook, NBER reaches conclusions well after it has been evident that the economy is behaving differently. Case in point, they reached the conclusion that the US economy was in recession almost a year after most economists had noticed that the economy was in recession.
Most economists, plus you too, still held to the simplistic notion that a recession is simply 2 consecutive quarters of negative GDP.
Are you now trying to claim that you saw the recession well before the NBER proclamation?
It sure does not seem like it based on this post of yours from 11/20/08, a mere 1 month before the NBER declaration.

You remind me of the experts who ridiculed Peter Schiff.
YouTube - Peter Schiff Was Right 2006 - 2007 (2nd Edition)

What is it with people in this website that they often want to discredit those who know what they are talking about, especially if they are professionals in the field they express their opinion on!

Simple, a recession is a decline in GDP on 2 consecutive quarters or more.

They look at other factors, but at the end of the day, when their data shows what date a recession started, it just so happens that the GDP shows that same time period as such as well.

Hence, anyone who wants to believe that a recession is anything other than a decline in GDP for 2 consecutive quarter or more has to be either dumb, wishful thinking, or both!

Note, that doesn't include ANYONE from the NBER, but it does include SOMEONE who is trying to deny the undeniable.

On the day it has been made crystal clear and accepted by the major economists of the world, major institutions, and such in the profession of economics that a recession is anything else but a minimum of 2 consecutive quarters with negative GDP growth, then and only then will I change my mind.

That day is certainly not today since nothing new has been said, and the old definition holds true which explains why it has not been rejected within the profession and why to this day its whats taught in economics courses in universities worldwide!

Good night!

-NALs (11/20/08)

In December 2008, the National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER) declared that the United States had been in recession since December 2007.
Late-2000s recession - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jan 3, 2003
Laptops are great...even if they are not a substitute for a properly funded edumacational system.

I just laugh at his claim that there are/were/will be 15,000 given away. A few here and there as documented by Indotel does NOT make 15,000.

I agree but when you're coming from a depressed market such as the DR has been in since Trujillo died, any improvement no matter how minuscule it is, is a multi-hundred percentage gain, right.

Take a stock that has dropped from 100 to 1, a 99% loss yet if it moves from 1 to 5, the media would tout it as a 500% gain. This is accurate but it masquerades the fact that the stock is still garbage out and out. Yet it will be heralded as a massive improvement, the recovery is underway, the economic picture is improving etc, etc.

You can extend this analogy to countries and their gov'ts attempts at making things seem better than they really are via stat manipulation and/or interpretation.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
CONFERENCE DGII warns of fiscal printers

Santo Domingo .- Gradually fiscal printers are becoming a reality in the retail business in the Dominican Republic. The authorities are determined to ensure that deadlines are met for the installation of these mechanisms with which it seeks to minimize tax evasion.

This year end fiscal printers installed in the fast-food chains and supermarkets to continue to hardware stores, department stores and restaurants and liquor store.

The Director General of Internal Taxes (DGII), Juan Hernandez, said yesterday that they are reporting to all companies and retail outlets that sell retail products and services en masse, so that it will lead to the installation of fiscal printers following a timetable to be exhausted within the deadline set for 2010.

The official confirmed that the DGII began to install fiscal printers in the principal fast food chains and the main hypermarkets in the country. The fiscal printers are already operating in one of the Pola establishments of the Group Ramos.They have been already installed in fast food outlets such as KFC, Taco Bell, Burger King and Emparedado.

As reported, they're working to leave in place fiscal printers operating in one of the CCN Group supermarkets and establishments Victorina Chicken, McDonald's, Pizza Hut, Dominos Pizza, among others. By 2010 the DGII will work with large hardware stores, department stores, clothing stores and shoe and restaurants.

Compliance
"This timetable must be respected to the letter and those that fail to meet the required fiscal printers in place by the timetable, without exhausting all possible venues to that end throughout the schedule work process will not operate in the market. To be able to sell they must have fiscal printers," said Hernandez.

He stated at the opening of the "First International Congress of Taxation from the Dominican Republic's Tax Association."

The conference title was "The impact of technology on the proceeds of taxes" which detailed the key institution that has been directed to achieve the levels of organizational performance and voluntary compliance by taxpayers.

According to Hern?ndez, the positive results of organizational transformation achieved by the Internal Revenue Office has become a benchmark for many other institutions, especially when in use of new technologies of information and communication technologies (ICTs).

For the director of Internal Revenue, the performance of an organization in the field of ICT must be measured by the impact of their use in transforming the organization to fulfill its mission and approach to their vision.

"Actually it is based on two factors: first the high level of institutional performance which means the culture of compliance, and second to respect the rights of taxpayers has been created in the Internal Revenue Office, which has generated the confidence that has in society who are running the institution, not only in the professional quality component, made up of people selected on the basis of values such as honesty, loyalty, respect for laws and social commitment, "said Hernandez.

One of the most effective tools developed by the Internal Revenue Office has been the virtual office where taxpayers can conduct almost all their obligations.

One element that Juan Hernandez said in his presentation is referred to the projects supporting the tax control by the Crossed Information System, the Case Control System and Fiscal Printers.

Source: Econom?a & Negocios - DGII advierte sobre impresoras fiscales
---------------------------------------------------------------

Recall when I told you here that all sales would be done by electronic means in the DR??? This is phase one only! Wait and see when the entire market is on software to keep and make sales... You'll notice how slowly printed currency and coins will start to be less and less available from banks...

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Laptops are great...even if they are not a substitute for a properly funded edumacational system.

I just laugh at his claim that there are/were/will be 15,000 given away. A few here and there as documented by Indotel does NOT make 15,000.

Do your homework and find the data you so much demand for on your own time! Mine is of value to me, to spend it in something I already know for a fact!!

Btw: Not 15,000 anymore! The number went up much higher last month!!!

:cheeky:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Do your homework and find the data you so much demand for on your own time! Mine is of value to me, to spend it in something I already know for a fact!!

Btw: Not 15,000 anymore! The number went up much higher last month!!!

:cheeky:
Translation: I have no proof beyond a few scattered units.

Leonel, I've done research on the web. I come up with nada. All I have found is the few posts where a few were given away. I guarantee if 15,000 had been distributed...or were in a warehouse ready for distribution...there would be smiling PLD faces in front taking credit. If businesses were doing it, they'd be glowing in the positive PR.

Had a meeting with the head of a large foundation owned by a prominent family. The foundation fully supports two schools among other charitable endeavors. He and his family are highly connected within the gubmint and business elite of the DR. He knew nothing about 15,000 laptops.

You certainly have the time to bloviate and parse power outages on the Metro. I guess your time isn't THAT valuable.

Jan 3, 2003
Leonel, I've done research on the web. I come up with nada. All I have found is the few posts where a few were given away. I guarantee if 15,000 had been distributed...or were in a warehouse ready for distribution...there would be smiling PLD faces in front taking credit. If businesses were doing it, they'd be glowing in the positive PR.

Maybe the DRUG CARTELS operating in the DR can donate the other 14,900 laptops. It seems business is booming for them with the latest rash of drug seizures, murders, etc.

LOL!

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Translation: I have no proof beyond a few scattered units.

Had a meeting with the head of a large foundation owned by a prominent family. The foundation fully supports two schools among other charitable endeavors. He and his family are highly connected within the gubmint and business elite of the DR. He knew nothing about 15,000 laptops.

You certainly have the time to bloviate and parse power outages on the Metro. I guess your time isn't THAT valuable.

Cobra you're looking in the obvious wrong places!!!

The social article is not going to be found in the gov media, nor in political/commercial channels for praise and credits...

I'll give you hints to use for your search:
Samuel (Sammy) Collado, Jose Corona, Jose Diaz, Rafael Diaz, Nelson Eusebio, "me", Diego Sanchez, Charles Marinez, Frank Goris, Neftali Urena, Carlos Gomez, Ulbardo Fernandez, Victor Piantini, Candida Layman, Alexandra Medina, Manuel Mena, Rafael Collado, Pedro Martinez, Pedro Garcia Nin entre otros...

Dates (most recent and more units donated in batches in reverser order, last first to old): Nov 7, 2009. Sept 1, 2009. Jun 27, 2009.

What: Dell Inspiron, MacBook Pro, Acer, Gateway...

RD gov involvement: "0%"

Indotel involvement in recipients? selection: "100%"

While you talk others "DO"!!! Be a "Doer" and stop trying to have people disclose what's not done to be credited or plastered in news media for kudos.

Follow the social trails and names and you'll find plenty of Laptops to add to your total!

I'm poor considering most of the people I know involved in this, but each chance I get; I take one with me back to the DR in my travels.

Your friends in the foundation are not connected to us it seems!! :cheeky:

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Translation: still no proof or links to those other 14,800 laptops.

Surrender noted.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Maybe the DRUG CARTELS operating in the DR can donate the other 14,900 laptops. It seems business is booming for them with the latest rash of drug seizures, murders, etc.

LOL!

Wow! So now we're drug dealers as well!! :surprised

Guess we should have shopped around for a home loan in order to pay for our houses!! Even better, financed our cars instead of outright purchasing them in one scoop...

Let me break down the mathematics for you a bit down to earth:

15,000 laptops at US $1,200 (average of lot in mix and no tax in entry to DR)

$18 million = 2,727 members = $6,600.66... 100% tax deductible from our own biz = US $0.00 over an 8 month period already...

That's adding the ones we didn't provide to Indotel but nevertheless so you get the idea of how's done by us "poor" Dominicans for equally "poor" Dominican students in the DR...

The tally of delivered laptops is over the 15,000 as of last Nov 7th Cobra...

Still a tiny fraction of the number we need to get to... But we'll get there!

Jan 3, 2003
The tally of delivered laptops is over the 15,000 as of last Nov 7th Cobra...

Still a tiny fraction of the number we need to get to... But we'll get there!
That's great! 15,000 is better than nothing. What I meant is that you can get more funding from the drug dealers since the DR is like Miami in the early 80's.

From all the news reports, it's snowing all over the DR and the cash coming in from drugs is a bonanza for the economy. Maybe some drug dealers can funnel some of that money for your noble causes, LOL!!

What do you do for a living, Pichardo?

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
That's great! 15,000 is better than nothing. What I meant is that you can get more funding from the drug dealers since the DR is like Miami in the early 80's.

From all the news reports, it's snowing all over the DR and the cash coming in from drugs is a bonanza for the economy. Maybe some drug dealers can funnel some of that money for your noble causes, LOL!!

What do you do for a living, Pichardo?

Doorman!:cheeky:

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
CONFERENCE DGII warns of fiscal printers

Santo Domingo .- Gradually fiscal printers are becoming a reality in the retail business in the Dominican Republic. The authorities are determined to ensure that deadlines are met for the installation of these mechanisms with which it seeks to minimize tax evasion.

This year end fiscal printers installed in the fast-food chains and supermarkets to continue to hardware stores, department stores and restaurants and liquor store.

The Director General of Internal Taxes (DGII), Juan Hernandez, said yesterday that they are reporting to all companies and retail outlets that sell retail products and services en masse, so that it will lead to the installation of fiscal printers following a timetable to be exhausted within the deadline set for 2010.

The official confirmed that the DGII began to install fiscal printers in the principal fast food chains and the main hypermarkets in the country. The fiscal printers are already operating in one of the Pola establishments of the Group Ramos.They have been already installed in fast food outlets such as KFC, Taco Bell, Burger King and Emparedado.

As reported, they're working to leave in place fiscal printers operating in one of the CCN Group supermarkets and establishments Victorina Chicken, McDonald's, Pizza Hut, Dominos Pizza, among others. By 2010 the DGII will work with large hardware stores, department stores, clothing stores and shoe and restaurants.

Compliance
"This timetable must be respected to the letter and those that fail to meet the required fiscal printers in place by the timetable, without exhausting all possible venues to that end throughout the schedule work process will not operate in the market. ****************To be able to sell they must have fiscal printers*********************," said Hernandez.

He stated at the opening of the "First International Congress of Taxation from the Dominican Republic's Tax Association."

The conference title was "The impact of technology on the proceeds of taxes" which detailed the key institution that has been directed to achieve the levels of organizational performance and voluntary compliance by taxpayers.

According to Hern?ndez, the positive results of organizational transformation achieved by the Internal Revenue Office has become a benchmark for many other institutions, especially when in use of new technologies of information and communication technologies (ICTs).

For the director of Internal Revenue, the performance of an organization in the field of ICT must be measured by the impact of their use in transforming the organization to fulfill its mission and approach to their vision.

"Actually it is based on two factors: first the high level of institutional performance which means the culture of compliance, and second to respect the rights of taxpayers has been created in the Internal Revenue Office, which has generated the confidence that has in society who are running the institution, not only in the professional quality component, made up of people selected on the basis of values such as honesty, loyalty, respect for laws and social commitment, "said Hernandez.

One of the most effective tools developed by the Internal Revenue Office has been the virtual office where taxpayers can conduct almost all their obligations.

One element that Juan Hernandez said in his presentation is referred to the projects supporting the tax control by the Crossed Information System, the Case Control System and Fiscal Printers.

Source: Econom?a & Negocios - DGII advierte sobre impresoras fiscales
---------------------------------------------------------------

Recall when I told you here that all sales would be done by electronic means in the DR??? This is phase one only! Wait and see when the entire market is on software to keep and make sales... You'll notice how slowly printed currency and coins will start to be less and less available from banks...

Any comments????

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Gonna raise hell with the underground economy! They(gov) cannot require you to use your debit card, and as long a cash is legal tender they will have to take it. These printers are for tax collection purposes only. And I might say a great idea as it will cut down on the ability to cheat on taxes owed, that is if its rang up on the register. but at this point has nothing to do with the actual sale. Only providing tax info.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Gonna raise hell with the underground economy! They(gov) cannot require you to use your debit card, and as long a cash is legal tender they will have to take it. These printers are for tax collection purposes only. And I might say a great idea as it will cut down on the ability to cheat on taxes owed, that is if its rang up on the register. but at this point has nothing to do with the actual sale. Only providing tax info.

Fiscal printers force the retailer to move to an electronic platform of biz. Not any system will be OK, but those approved by the DGII...

The type and models of registers with incorporated fiscal printers will also create the space, for electronic sales to de adopted everywhere you go.

Mar 2, 2008
I can't imagine a worse idea. It sounds like the DR is hurrying to get to 1984 long after much of the rest of the world has gotten there and/or rejected it.

Add one more country to the long list of over-regulated, over-taxed, over-micro-managed, under-developed countries. How depressing.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I can't imagine a worse idea. It sounds like the DR is hurrying to get to 1984 long after much of the rest of the world has gotten there and/or rejected it.

Add one more corrupt country to the long list of over-regulated, over-taxed, over-micro-managed, under-developed countries. How depressing.
Fixed your quote...:classic:

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Is the "fiscal printer" concept for tax collection unique to the Dominican Republic?

Was the procurement of these printers done via competitive bidding?

Who makes the printers?

Where can the printers be purchased?

Can the printers be used without electricity?

Direccion General de Impuestos Internos

Fical Printers:

Formats: http://www.dgii.gov.do/impresorasFiscales/Paginas/formatos.aspx

Legislation: http://www.dgii.gov.do/impresorasFiscales/Paginas/legislacion.aspx

Policies and procedures: http://www.dgii.gov.do/impresorasFiscales/Paginas/politicas.aspx

Fiscal Printers Solutions: http://www.dgii.gov.do/impresorasFiscales/Paginas/SolucionesFiscales.aspx

All you need to know is there!