Is it possible for a woman to claim your things as hers at the fiscal?

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
Someone just wrote me saying,
"If you rent an apartment and buy furniture, you could easily find yourself without any. Once a woman goes to the fiscaleria and says you were living as man and wife, the law allows her to have not only all the furniture, but you could have to pay her as well.
She doesn't have to prove anything. You do not have your residency. You do not live there. You are not well connected and you will lose and have to pay the police and fiscal as well. You will be lucky if you only lose the furniture because you will probably have to pay her maintenance as well."

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I have heard of cases of of guys getting screwed over like this.

I remember one posted on this board a few years ago of a guy in Puerto Plata. Lost the apartment and all the contents.

When the girl is a low life, cuero etc and the cops and judges are in on it, anything is possible.

This is why it pay's to have Dominican friends that are connected and others in high places. When something bad happens, knowing you can make a phone call to resolve the problem, is worth it's weight in gold.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Sounds like utter nonsense to me.

Unfortunately, it's not nonsense. I've heard several stories just like he describes [no, I'm not the one who sent him the message].

Actually, I think there was a guy right here on DR1 that it happened to earlier this year.

AE

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
you might want to extract yourself from this situation
as soon as possible

the situation isn't improving...if anything it's getting worse

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
That's what I wrote back, that these guys must have been affected by officials being in on it. I do have a contact who is the captain of firemen at the MDSD airport.

Reactions: mike l

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I have a friend in Pop who has been here going on 15 years, was with a girl for a few years, opened up a bar for her to work in, they lived in a big house together. The relationship went down the pan, she walked away with all the furniture in the house and the beach bar in Sosua. Now there was absolutely nothing legal in it, but he is wise enough to know it could easily have been turned on him and it could have been worse. Like I said in your other thread, there isn't anything legal here, but she can make your life hell if you don't have the know how of getting rid of her cleanly and getting away before she has time to sink her teeth in. Get as far away from her as possible before its to late.

This is what people mean when they say it is far less stressful if you stay within a circle of people in a similar social standings, bat below your average and you can just make hard work for yourself, keep you standards high and you should have little to worry about. A woman with a decent education and job is highly unlikely to only be in it for the cash and so play ball 50/50, take the easy route as so many do and expect to have to deal with certain lowlife aspects when it comes to stuff like this.
You seem like an intelligent guy, raise the bar, do better for yourself.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
If you cohabit then whatever you buy for the apartment is hers.
Not the law but that is how it is.
I have seen it many times.

And this is a girl that you were going to rent an apartment for a couple of days ago?

Amstellite had more game....

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You are a trainwreck waiting to happen.
You look for girls in all the wrong places.
You think because they are with you they love" you.
You are an innocent waiting for the hammer to fall.

I told you some time ago, take it easy. You are too anxious. You think you can do everything over the internet. You do not realize you are a target.

If you decide to settle here, you need to make people to people contacts at the right places. As a nice person, this is a possibility.

Take it easy for goodness sake!!

She will take you to the cleaners!!

HB

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
I dont see what the big deal is. She gets the apartment, maybe, if she can proves she lives there, maybe. But can she pay for the apartment? Doubt it. So if things go Chernobyl, who cares, its the landlords problem.

Likewise with the furniture: Buy cheap sh1t! Go down to IKEA and get some particle board specials and some wood glue. There you go.
Besides if she turns into this monster it appears she may be she will more than likely make your life hell WHILE you re living with her instead of after its over. I think you gotta have a reality check with her before you turn into Dagwood Bumstead or something. A lot of times these women think American men are too kind but confuse that with being a pushover. And you re walking into it, me thinks.

I dont know why you would want to overcomplicate it. All you need to do is make sure she cannot or never establishes residency where YOU live. Put all the bills in your name or run them through a dummy S.A. or through your landlord. Have it appear ALWAYS as though she is a transient visitor. She doesnt live there, she is an invited guest of the man of the house(he whose name appears on the lease).

Reactions: DavidZ and mike l

baby bori

May 18, 2010
Trainman whenever you decide to move in with a woman whether it be either renting or buying an apartment or house guess what??? The furniture typically belongs to the woman yeah she can sugarcoat things and say its our belongings but in reality it stays with the woman. A man simply moves on with live gets another residence or apartment and buys his own furniture and takes it from there. If you're in a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship or married it belongs to her. To be honest for the most part thats common. A man may decide to live with a woman in an apartment or home he will buy the furniture and appliances with his money though the woman may not be a money hungry squeezer materialistic woman if the relationship ends and residence paperwork is under her name or is listed in the lease or deed then that stuff is hers thats the way it is its the way it was and thats the way it will be unless if the woman has the economic ability to say screw it you keep that furniture and appliances she will buy better things in the near future!!!

baby bori

May 18, 2010
A man may have a good family oriented respectable woman she may not be materialistic. Though its conventional that the woman expects the man to pay for furniture or appliances the most part. When a man hooks up with a woman good or bad if he starts a relationship with her sooner or later he will end up paying big time its reality part of life!!! The important thing is quality of the woman if you have good quality it will be money well spent at least you did the effort to contribute but if you have bad quality yikes watch out!!!

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
I had said that to someone else, nothing will be in her name. Maybe I will get a furnished apartment so that is not really any of my concern. Otherwise I will order from the IKEA in SD. I am not a pushover she knows that if she crosses me I will put her and her son out on the street.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I had said that to someone else, nothing will be in her name. Maybe I will get a furnished apartment so that is not really any of my concern. Otherwise I will order from the IKEA in SD. I am not a pushover she knows that if she crosses me I will put her and her son out on the street.

Seems to me like you're just not getting it. You've asked several questions about your situation, but don't seem to heed the information your given. Seems like you will take your shot and see what happens. And unfortunately, odds are there will enough "I told you so's" to fill a new thread.

And for the record, if she crosses you, you WILL NOT just put her out...YOU will likely be the one on the street, or more likely on the next plane back from whence you came.

But hey, you only live once...if you're this into her and her son, go for it...the story should make for interesting reading...

Apr 3, 2009
I have also heard similar horror stories, when it deals with cohabitation in the DR.

I believe some guys try to prevent their Dominican cohabitants from receiving mail addressed to their residence, because their Dominican cohabitants could use it to prove residency.

-BB :bunny:

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
I have no idea if PO boxes exist in the DR..

Post boxes? They do exist here, and they are reasonably cheap to rent - only problem is that the "postal services" are sometimes so erratic (pros & cons well discussed on this board) that your chances of getting any benefit from them are so small as to be of no importance.

With or without post boxes, I have a number of expat acquaintances and one or two friends who, after setting up house with a local lady, after quite long relationships have come home from a day at the office to find the place empty, saving in one case a single light bulb (the only one that she, her brothers, cousins and probably husband couldn't reach).

One can question the legal aspects, but at the end of the day chances are almost certainty that you'll end up losing. As said in earlier posts, you'll be lucky if you only lose your belongings.........

Last edited:

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
It is doomed, you are in doubt before you are even in the country. Try coming over long term, have a normal relationship, get your own place, allow your dates to stay over, if one makes demands on you then make it the last date, erase her number.
Look, the DR isn't exactly the most difficult place to find a date, ask a girl in National or Cadena and you'll probably walk out with a phone number, seriously dude, why the desperation.
If you allow this girl to move in with you, and from your posts I haven doubt you will, then I have absolutely no sympathy for you, infact you deserve to lose the lot, it isn't as though you haven't had access to sufficient first hand info from experienced guys who have been there or know someone who has been there.
Move here for a slightly longer term, rent a place furnished for you, invite your dates back to yours, have a normal relationship, take it easy, screw around a bit, find out what you are looking for in a Dominican woman, they are quite different in many respects. Do the normal thing all this desperation is nothing short of stupid.
I wish you good luck, but you make your own luck in life, your call!!!