Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
mbivz9.jpg

rirink.jpg

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
fng hell. was it operational? i mean, open at the time of fire? i hope no one is hurt. it looks really scary.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joe Boots

Jun 16, 2008
Wow that's awful. I will visit and see in December. Maybe take some pics to post if worthwhile.

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
Wow! Total loss I guess. Wasn't that building one of the original structures erected by the first Jewish settlers in Sosua?

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
And that makes three Restaurants on Pedro Clisante that have burned recently.

I believe the saying is something like "Once is an accident, twice is a coincidence, three times is a conspiracy!"

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Unless a fryer fire they have tried to extinguish using water (absolutely possible with Dums in the kitchen) then it is hard to see how something could get so out of control while people were on the property.
Insurance job, fryer fire, competitors fire bomb?

I think most go for A or C, Sosua has its fair share of fires.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Funny, when I was there in August, I was saying that someone needs to do something about the roof on La Roca. It was falling apart and soon would be a hazard to the street below. Funny.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i do not know about this particular restaurant but you may note that fire hazard is not a preoccupation for most businesses here. no wonder fires spread quickly: poor construction, lack of equipment...

DonDR

Jul 14, 2010
That's the 3d fire on Pedro Clisante Sosua during a short period of time. I wounder if something like that happened in Cabarete - they have a whole street of restaurants?

DonDR

Jul 14, 2010
Its a pity that this restaurant is burned - this house should have been made a place of interest for tourists - the local municipality should have taken this house instead of the Central Palace of Culture of Sosua (total joke).

The Roca restaurant was a first warehouse for United Fruits co (approx build 1924-25). There was a railway coming to that place from the mountains ... Thats the real history of Sosua which few people know.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
The Roca restaurant was a first warehouse for United Fruits co (approx build 1924-25). There was a railway coming to that place from the mountains ... Thats the real history of Sosua which few people know.

Are tourists who go to Sosua really interested in an old warehouse? Scraping the barrel a bit for local attractions.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
It is not about preserving the building for tourists. Buildings of historical interest should be preserved for the community. The doors coming from the main room onto the veranda were fantastic. This is a real shame.

mambodog

Feb 29, 2008
Such a shame. Although dilapidated, the building had character and historical significance. The restaurant's terrace was a great place to have breakfast or morning coffee and watch the world go by.

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Lightning has claimed another victim

such a shame. Although dilapidated, the building had character and historical significance. The restaurant's terrace was a great place to have breakfast or morning coffee and watch the world go by.

the changing of the guard! Sosua is being scourged of its past?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.