LaRoca Resturant Burning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
It was quite the conflagration. Who knew that Sosua even had so many fire trucks? La Roca had been closed for quite some time, so perhaps the seller was frustrated and somehow changed the equation. It was a great building, and it is a shame that it is yet another piece of Sosua's rich and fascinating history that is lost. (I spent years as a fundraiser for a historic preservation group in NYC).

Downtown on PC will soon look like Dresden after WW2.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
It was quite the conflagration. Who knew that Sosua even had so many fire trucks? La Roca had been closed for quite some time, so perhaps the seller was frustrated and somehow changed the equation. It was a great building, and it is a shame that it is yet another piece of Sosua's rich and fascinating history that is lost. (I spent years as a fundraiser for a historic preservation group in NYC).

Downtown on PC will soon look like Dresden after WW2.

that sounds ominous. or threatening..

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
that sounds ominous. or threatening..

As resident grammar bitch, I would say the better word is "ominous," as it means portended evil. "Threatening" holds more of a definition of intentional menace. Perhaps in the case of Los Fuegos de Sosua, it is both.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
As resident grammar bitch, I would say the better word is "ominous," as it means portended evil. "Threatening" holds more of a definition of intentional menace. Perhaps in the case of Los Fuegos de Sosua, it is both.

could not agree with you more. by the way, i like the title you have placed upon yourself.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Anyone spell serial arsonist? Vacant unused buildings rarely burn on their own. Normally the utilities are off. I do not have faith in Sosua Fire Dept. arson investigation team. We will probably never know the cause of the fire. Letting buildings like this fall into disrepair and disuse is a disgrace. Shame on the mayor and city leaders. Too much emphasis on "culture" while ignoring the day to day business of running the city. A needless, predictable, shameful loss to the city. The city should act in a responsible fashion anf restore the building.

Letting buildings of this sort fall into disrepair and disuse is asking for trouble.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
On a positive note it appears the Sosua FD did a good job in saving quite a bit of the building. From the one postie I saw it looked to be a total loss

Aug 21, 2007
Anyone spell serial arsonist? Vacant unused buildings rarely burn on their own.

Zoom, we had lots of thunder and direct lightening last night. As I recall the roof was tin with some parts covered with thatch. I surely am no fire investigator, but I would suspect a lightening strike before anything else.

As I drove by to take a good look this morning, it appeared that the worst damage was on the second floor/roof area. However, I would assume that the building will need to be torn down. The first floor was badly charred and there was extensive damage in the supporting structure.

Lindsey

Status
Not open for further replies.